You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A Question.

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat

If I am one of 2 entrants to a £20 GTD tournament on here and the entry fee is £5.50, but the tournament cancels instead of running, what is the correct refund, £5.50 or £10?

I can kind of see an argument that as the tournament has not started it should only be £5.50.

The reason I ask is that this actually happened to me last night and I am interested to know the correct answer. In my opinion the refund should be £10 because, at the end of the day, if this was not the correct procedure, then any tournament with a guarantee could be cancelled right when it is due to start just because the guarantee has not been met. This cannot be right can it?

It should be noted as well that I believe the reason for the cancellation was just an error in the way the tournament is set up, there is no reason why it should not have proceeded with 2 players is there?

Alot of the tournament cancellation policy relates to a server crash which I do not think applied here. As I see it the relevant part of the help and support section on this issue is the following:

"If it becomes necessary to cancel a tournament we will endeavour to treat you fairly. The specific circumstances relating to any cancellation will be a determining factor in how we deal with the cancellation of each separate tournament."

I believe it is fair to refund each player £10. Is this not correct? 

Comments

• edited June 2010
    nice optimism there john!-- maybe that 3 runners are required for it to qualify as a tournament-- Dunno-- but if you paid a fiver, then you have to be optimistic in the extreme to expect a tenner back--lol
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Question.:
    nice optimism there john!-- maybe that 3 runners are required for it to qualify as a tournament-- Dunno-- but if you paid a fiver, then you have to be optimistic in the extreme to expect a tenner back--lol
    Posted by oynutter
    Ha ha yeah maybe your right lol
  • edited June 2010

JOHN CONNOR - Sky Poker's best kept secret!!!

You and the other guy should have played heads up, and split the money however they do it, wether it be 75%/25%, 80/20, 99/1 whatever.

When are you gonna be winning 8pm main events J.C surely only a matter of time.
  • edited June 2010

i belivee that as you respomded and registered you should be compensated if the tournament is cancelled for a reason such as failing to attract lots of players.  the guarantee is offered knowing that on a few occasions it will not be met by entry fees alone.  you should be allowed to compete against the other player for the prize mioney or appropriate compensation (eg half the prize money) should be awarded.

best is to speak to customer care .. i am sure that they are nice people and will sort it out... unless of course it was a system failure and out of their control.. they might suggest entering you for free into a similar priced tournament

• edited June 2010
    JOHN CONNOR - Sky Poker's best kept secret!!! You and the other guy should have played heads up, and split the money however they do it, wether it be 75%/25%, 80/20, 99/1 whatever. When are you gonna be winning 8pm main events J.C surely only a matter of time.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Cheers for reply mate yeah I think it should have gone ahead heads up - winner takes all, thats what I was expecting anyway.

And cheers for compliments pal I think you overestimate me ha ha. No, its a bankroll thing at the minute i am playing just MTTs now but only £2 and £3 ones at the min (i've been a student and had to withdraw most of my bankroll :-(. Anyway off now, so trying to build again and will be trying to sat in main events a lot more often from now so hopefully I will see you in some mate - cheers again

• edited June 2010
    i belivee that as you respomded and registered you should be compensated if the tournament is cancelled for a reason such as failing to attract lots of players.  the guarantee is offered knowing that on a few occasions it will not be met by entry fees alone.  you should be allowed to compete against the other player for the prize mioney or appropriate compensation (eg half the prize money) should be awarded. best is to speak to customer care .. i am sure that they are nice people and will sort it out... unless of course it was a system failure and out of their control.. they might suggest entering you for free into a similar priced tournament
    Posted by aussie09
    Cheers aussie I agree with that really. I did try customer care and they were not helpful tbh (for the first time I have to say, my personal experience with them has been good in the past) so I thought I'd post on here and gauge opinion, maybe I'll try again or someone else if I find people agree with me. I know the moneys not much but its not the point really I dont think. Cheers for response

• edited June 2010
    £20 guaranteed with a £5 + 50p entry fee?

Are you sure about that? I've never seen a tournament in the lobby with a guarantee that's only 4x the buy in.

Was it a satellite tourney? They get cancelled if its 1 seat for every 5, but only 4 or fewer register.

As far as I know Sky always honour guarantees, if the circumstances were as you describe and only 2 of you registered then you should have been HU for £20.
  • edited June 2010
    There are PLO tournaments (at least) with a £5.50 entry fee and £20 guarantee.
    There are two at 20:10 and 22:10 this evening.
  • edited June 2010
    I played in a £50 gtd game a few months back for £5.50 and there were only two of us entered, it went ahead as normal and my luckbox opponent won £50
  • edited June 2010
    Ah, thanks for pointing that out Mere Novice, I only play NLHE and have everything else filtered out.
  • edited June 2010
    Cheers for replies guys, yes it was PLO at 10 past midnight thats why the guarantee was so low. I too think it should have gone ahead heads up with one of us getting lucky and netting £20.