You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I this a correct call?

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xBig blind  £0.08 £0.08 £4.50
  Your hole cards
  • A

ghy19623 Fold     
The_Don90 Raise  £0.24 £0.32 £3.61
xRaise  £0.32 £0.64 £4.18
The_Don90 Call  £0.16 £0.80 £3.45
Flop

• Q
  • J

xBet  £0.08 £0.88 £4.10
The_Don90 Call  £0.08 £0.96 £3.37
Turn

xBet  £0.08 £1.04 £4.02
The_Don90 Call  £0.08 £1.12 £3.29
River

xAll-in  £4.02 £5.14 £0.00
The_Don90 All-in  £3.29 £8.43 £0.00
xUnmatched bet  £0.73 £7.70 £0.73

Just woundering if this is the correct call, id noticed this player being increasingly loose through perevious hands, and decided my 10 was good. I know the result obviously and will say later but want to know if other people think of this first.

What was going throguh my head

Flop - Straight draw, min bet, ill see the turn felt like it was bargin of the centuary.

Turn - Min bet again, either my opponent has trips, two pair or a weak hand. So i figured he was either trapping a big one or he was scared of something. I'd added a flush draw and decided min bet was little enough for me to see the turn.

River -  Hes min bet all the way down, and then massivley over bet the river with the forth diamond out there, im sitting with the third to nut flush, is it good? I think it is, i rekon he has two pair or maybe trip Jacks or fives (noted re-raise earlier from my opponent to two raises with 22 so this would be possible aswell) After thinking for a few more seconds i decide i rekon im good and call.  

Comments

• edited June 2010
    you're rarely good here to make the call profitable in the long run

unfortunate hes made every bet so small but after his 3 bet pre you have to put ur oppo on a range of hands so if u have seen him 3bet with any pp we can have this in his range and also big aces....

im not in love with the call pre to be honest as you are most likely crushed by his range of better aces so i probably fold there but as played calling flop is ok as its a daft bet and u have outs to the nuts which ur actually nearly gettin the odds to call for even if its just the 4 Kings, after the turn brings the flush even if u make the straight it might not be good and u wont get paid if the 4th diamond comes and u are good as its a massive scare card so i fold turn

on the river all you can beat is a bluff, strong chance he has AdQx/AdKx/AdJx...i'd be hard pushed to put him on a fh as you'd think a flopped set of JJ/QQ would bet stronger on a draw heavy board so I think you have to give credit for Ad or Kd and find a better spot to get our money in than the 3rd nut flush
  • edited June 2010
    its nice to see someone post a hand with thought process and hold the results back so well done on that.
    i play pre flop flop and turn the same its just so ridic cheap you need like  8% equity on the turn for your call to be profitable

im folding river though you  need to be good around 39% of the time to call which is just way too much imo his value 3bet range has you crushed, without any solid read just let it go
  • edited June 2010
    i'll take a stab at Ad Kx for villains hand
  • edited June 2010
    I would defo fold river, I can't see him doing this with less than nuts. I play this level a bit and most the time players bet min every street then go crazy when they hit their card, you do have 3rd nuts but there's a very good chance he has Kd or Ad here.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: I this a correct call?:
    its nice to see someone post a hand with thought process and hold the results back so well done on that. i play pre flop flop and turn the same its just so ridic cheap you need like  8% equity on the turn for your call to be profitable im folding river though you  need to be good around 39% of the time to call which is just way too much imo his value 3bet range has you crushed, without any solid read just let it go
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    ya +1 on all this.
    I could even be tempted to take a stab at raising the flop, but AK would probs call so maybe a dryer flop would be better.
  • edited June 2010
    Since everyone has now pointed their views, ill show the hand.

Before i show it i will state as before i had a fairly good read on my opponent and was pretty comfortable in calling.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    xBig blind  £0.08 £0.08 £4.50
      Your hole cards
    • A

ghy19623 Fold     
    The_Don90 Raise  £0.24 £0.32 £3.61
    xRaise  £0.32 £0.64 £4.18
    The_Don90 Call  £0.16 £0.80 £3.45
    Flop

• Q
    • J

xBet  £0.08 £0.88 £4.10
    The_Don90 Call  £0.08 £0.96 £3.37
    Turn

xBet  £0.08 £1.04 £4.02
    The_Don90 Call  £0.08 £1.12 £3.29
    River

xAll-in  £4.02 £5.14 £0.00
    The_Don90 All-in  £3.29 £8.43 £0.00
    xUnmatched bet  £0.73 £7.70 £0.73
    xShow
    • A
    • J

The_Don90 Show
    • A

The_Don90 Win Flush to the Queen £7.13  £7.13
  • edited June 2010
    You should post any reads on your opponent(s) when originally posting the hand.
    What reads did you have on this particular enemy (bored of saying villain)?
    And yes you were right this time, try to avoid being results orientated, you won this time but I still think it's a bad call. Unless you can post the 'reads' you have on the enemy, like some sick time tell?
  • edited June 2010
    You should post any reads on your opponent(s) when originally posting the hand. What reads did you have on this particular enemy (bored of saying villain)?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    I had mentioned in the post before he'd re-raised 2 raises infront with Pocket 2's. So i knew he was loose.

I also had noticed him betting big on the river with missed draws or weaker hands.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: I this a correct call? : I had mentioned in the post before he'd re-raised 2 raises infront with Pocket 2's. So i knew he was loose. I also had noticed him betting big on the river with missed draws or weaker hands.
    Posted by The_Don90
    1. That doesn't equate to this being a good call, he could still have you beat.
    2. That's what you should of posted originally and I guess makes a case to call here, although I fear that this is a results orientated read and didn't exist as much at the time.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: I this a correct call? : 1. That doesn't equate to this being a good call, he could still have you beat. 2. That's what you should of posted originally and I guess makes a case to call here, although I fear that this is a results orientated read and didn't exist as much at the time.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    In response.

1. Yea i will do in future, im trying to expand on what im writing when getting people to look at a hand, and ive expanded alot i hadn't though.

2. This was the 6th or 7th time he/she had been caught out doing this, it just happened to be this was my turn to catch him out. Probably correct in saying i was using past hands when deciding to make my call, although isnt that how a read is built. To be fair it did strenthen my read, unfortunetly he/she quickly left the table so i couldnt take any more.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: I this a correct call? : In response. 1. Yea i will do in future, im trying to expand on what im writing when getting people to look at a hand, and ive expanded alot i hadn't though. 2. This was the 6th or 7th time he/she had been caught out doing this, it just happened to be this was my turn to catch him out. Probably correct in saying i was using past hands when deciding to make my call, although isnt that how a read is built. To be fair it did strenthen my read, unfortunetly he/she quickly left the table so i couldnt take any more.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I meant maybe you made a bad call this time, got lucky he donked, and then felt like you picked up a 'read' because you won the hand?
    Or maybe you just had a very solid read on a predictable donk and made a good call.
  • edited June 2010
    Ah with you now blackfish. Yea i agree.

To be fair, i feel like i had pot odds on flop and turn to hit it. The river id hit it and hed bet so really can be argued both ways.