You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

30NL - Solid Oppo, cbet, or not cbet? - and on the turn?

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Alright guy hasnt got out of line, just won a huge pot with his Kings, looks pretty solid.

1) do you c bet?
2) Do you bet the turn?
3) How do you respond to his raise on the turn?

Thanx
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
evilfsh1 Sit out     
corbett04 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £33.40
wiljam Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £71.33
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

DOHHHHHHH Raise  £1.20 £1.65 £29.83
Ozzie08 Fold     
corbett04 Fold     
wiljam Call  £0.90 £2.55 £70.43
Flop

• K

wiljam Check     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  £1.80 £4.35 £28.03
wiljam Call  £1.80 £6.15 £68.63
Turn

• A

wiljam Check     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  £4.20 £10.35 £23.83
wiljam Raise  £8.40 £18.75 £60.23

Comments

• edited June 2010
    c-bet is fine, might make it a little more.

turn bet is fine as we are still getting value from KxQd or AdXx kinda hands and he folds all other pair/fd rubbish

check/min raise on that card is pretty strong tho, he knows your range to barrel flop and turn is at least a big ace, the only plausible hand you beat is an AdXx hand but i cant see him check raising this as you have to be so strong to call and u are always checking behind river or folding to more aggression and he obv has great show down so no need for him to go crazy in case you have a better hand and he gets moved off his draw

very read dependant as to how he plays his draws but given that you say hes solid we wont be ahead here enough of the time to make the call profitable and you cant 3 bet as you wont get called by  worse and theres little value in doing so, he will most likely shove any river as its setup after a call so you will have to make a decision for all ur money 
  • edited June 2010
    easy fold, i would bet flop and turn as you did also
  • edited June 2010
    I agree with lynx, not sure if i would c bet or not but you can easily rep the king so i dont mind it. Turn i bet if checked to as standard value. Then turn check raise as said the only hand you beat is A of diamonds, and they would probably just flat that given that they flat the flop.
  • edited June 2010

How about the £4.20 I bet on the turn...

Check behind the turn, and call his value bet on the end which wud be £4.20ish. (if a non-diamond comes)

And we wouldn't be discussing this now?

This is a serious post, coz it really is how I think!!!!!
    Please correct me? I want an answer to this post, more so than the opening post.

Why is my thought process here wrong?

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Solid Oppo, cbet, or not cbet? - and on the turn?:
    How about the £4.20 I bet on the turn... Check behind the turn, and call his value bet on the end which wud be £4.20ish. (if a non-diamond comes) And we wouldn't be discussing this now? This is a serious post, coz it really is how I think!!!!! Please correct me? I want an answer to this post, more so than the opening post. Why is my thought process here wrong?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    you're looking to get maximum value here which is why you should bet the turn and you dont want to give a free card on this kinda board

the same thought process would apply to a river bet by him as with the turn raise - what do you beat on the river thats he betting? is he v-betting a K? no, is he v-betting a worse A? unlikely as whats gonna call him and he has great showdown, so again all you beat is a bluff which is rarely gonna be the case after he floats your c-bet he must have a hand with at least some showdown
  • edited June 2010
    hmmmm, do we bet the turn?

yes, 100%, you have position, the betting lead, and every reason to do so, you also make him pay to hit if he is only on a diamond draw.

i dont know the outcome of this hand dohhhhh, but i cant understand why u are beating yourself up over this turn bet?

if you do check the turn you have to call his value bet on the end if no diamond comes. This is most likely gonna be potsize anyway, so you wouldnt save yourself any beans, and you would be playing passive innit. this is not you!!!

hoggers
  • edited June 2010

dohhhhhhh i would play the hand pretty much exactly the same, perhaps my flop/turn bets would be slightly bigger. personally i cant let this hand go just because of a min raise on the turn, im re shovin all-in here, if he has flopped the flush then fair play to him.... i honestly think this a great board for the villain to bluff with out of position, check/call flop, check/raise turn on a board like this--how strong does that look?? answer? it looks very strong! thats exactly why if i was the villian in this hand i would have played it almost exactly the same with any 2 cards against a player (like yourself) who i know is good enough to lay down top pair...he could have easily called your pre-flop raise with a small/medium pair which he has turned into a bluff on that board.
    just think if he has really flopped the flush, would he actually min raise the turn?? would you really make your hand so obvious?? (depends on the ability of the player obviously) but personally i dont think so! if he has flopped trips, would he really check the flop/turn giving himself a great opportunity to be outdrawn if you check behind by any single diamond you may be holding? again i dont think so.
    rightly or wrongly i read this as a bluff and i shove the turn. but hands like this and my thought processes are the reason i get myself into trouble so much, because i always try to put myself in the opponents shoes and i think they think how i would think!-if that makes sense? ... in reality your probably losin to a guy who dont know how to play the nuts properly so i definatly understand why ppl will say fold to the min-raise! but if i was in your shoes playin that hand, id read this as a bluff and get my money in! sadly as a result no doubt id see my money movin across table to the other guys stack! so don't listen to me lol

• edited June 2010
    ........ rightly or wrongly i read this as a bluff and i shove the turn. but hands like this and my thought processes are the reason i get myself into trouble so much, because i always try to put myself in the opponents shoes and i think they think how i would think!-if that makes sense? ... in reality your probably losin to a guy who dont know how to play the nuts properly so i definatly understand why ppl will say fold to the min-raise! but if i was in your shoes playin that hand, id read this as a bluff and get my money in! sadly as a result no doubt id see my money movin across table to the other guys stack! so don't listen to me lol
    Posted by Eagle26
    so if you read this as a bluff why are you shoving over the top as you wont get called by a bluff and you lose out on potential bluff catchin on the river? I can see villain could raise with the Ad in his hand in which case flatting the raise and flatting a river bet on a non diamond would be profitable but shovin turn to his min raise wont get called unless you're beat
  • edited June 2010
    OK, I'm gonna play nitty advocate here and suggest we check back the turn - c-betting the flop is best without much discussion, I think. While we might lose value against the Kx-Xd type hands, I think checking back offers two upsides:

1) Pot control.
    Firing another bet on the turn means that - even if we're simply called - we could be faced with a river bet of around ~£10. We have one pair on a board which, against this opponent, is going to be an unusual one for a solid opponent to begin getting out of line on.

2) Bluff catching.
    Saying what I did above, we know that he is also going to have to bluff with missed diamond draws, as well as potentially make a mistaken value bet with the likes of KQ/KJ. I'd be more comfortable making that call for a bet of around £4 instead of £10, which is the danger we run by betting the turn.

As the hand plays, I would definitely fold the turn. The only hand we're beating which might make that move would be a Ax-Jd kind of hand, and even then we're not in tremendous shape and will again be facing a tricky river decision.

I think sometimes losing a little value in order to keep your decision making and hand balancing easier is worthwhile. Again, I might just be a bit too nitty though...
  • edited June 2010
    bet the turn 24/7.
  • edited June 2010
    actually ignore everything ive wrote im talkin utter ****  just fold to the re-raise on the turn!
  • edited June 2010
    I think sometimes losing a little value in order to keep your decision making and hand balancing easier is worthwhile. 
    Posted by Sky_Dave

We want to make the optimal play not the one that is easiest.
  • edited June 2010
    Check behind on the turn 24/7 against the player as you have described him.

To answer some of your questions Dohhhhhh:

"Why is my thought process here wrong?"

You've been blinded by the fact you've hit your ace.  There are three board categories we an put hands into:
    a)  Can only win this hand by betting
    b)  Showdown value
    c)  Big hand to get value

You've got so excited that after hitting your are on the turn that you've moved your hand from A to C, when on this board, against this player, it's only a B.  You've described him as a solid reg, therefore you have only now overtaken the bottom of his range that would have flatted pre and flatted on the flop (medium pairs not to have hit their set, possible but doubtful KQ/KJ).  You are still behind to everything else.  As soon as the Ace falls I would be thinking of getting to showdown for as little as possible.  I'm checking behind here and check/calling a non diamond river.

As played I'm insta-folding to the shove.  He may have set up a float or a semi bluff with A(d)x, but for every time he is doing this he is more often looking to get paid off with a bigger hand that yours.

The C-Bet on the flop is standard, no problems there.

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Solid Oppo, cbet, or not cbet? - and on the turn? : We want to make the optimal play not the one that is easiest.
    Posted by beaneh
    Saving money is as important as making money.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Solid Oppo, cbet, or not cbet? - and on the turn? : Saving money is as important as making money.
    Posted by TommyD

That's not what I said. I said we want to make the optimal decision rather than the easiest.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Solid Oppo, cbet, or not cbet? - and on the turn? : That's not what I said. I said we want to make the optimal decision rather than the easiest.
    Posted by beaneh
    I agree whole heartedly that we want to make the optimal play, in this case I believe it to be the check behind.  The optimal play can be to not risk portions of your stack in a spot you will very rarely get added value from.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Solid Oppo, cbet, or not cbet? - and on the turn? : I agree whole heartedly that we want to make the optimal play, in this case I believe it to be the check behind. [b]The optimal play can be to not risk portions of your stack in a spot you will very rarely get added value from.[/b]
    Posted by TommyD

I massively dis-agree with this, if you're not betting this turn I wouldn't cbet the flop.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Solid Oppo, cbet, or not cbet? - and on the turn? : I massively dis-agree with this, if you're not betting this turn I wouldn't cbet the flop.
    Posted by beaneh
    Fair enough.  Do you consider our bet on the turn to be:

a)  A bet for value
    b)  Trying to shut down the hand/charging for the draw to protect the AQ
    c)  A further C-Bet Bluff

If it's A, what hand's are we getting calls from which we are beating?
    If it's B, then are you shoving the raise on the turn?
    If it's C, what hand's better than ours can we expect to fold?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Solid Oppo, cbet, or not cbet? - and on the turn? : Fair enough.  Do you consider our bet on the turn to be: a)  A bet for value b)  Trying to shut down the hand/charging for the draw to protect the AQ c)  A further C-Bet Bluff If it's A, what hand's are we getting calls from which we are beating? If it's B, then are you shoving the raise on the turn? If it's C, what hand's better than ours can we expect to fold?
    Posted by TommyD

It's a mahusively profitable value bet and i'm kinda fist pumping as I do it.

He can call with any Kx, pocket pair with a diamond ie TdTh, other pair and fd like 8xd, he could just call with a bare fd we don't seem to have many reads. he could even have turned a worse ace which had been calling with it's other card on a diamond draw.

Once he check raises the turn though his range changes and is a billion times stronger than if he had check called the turn hence I would bet the turn fist pumping, then whimper and snap fold to the check min raise because he has a frush most of the time.

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Solid Oppo, cbet, or not cbet? - and on the turn? : It's a mahusively profitable value bet and i'm kinda fist pumping as I do it. He can call with any Kx, pocket pair with a diamond ie TdTh, other pair and fd like 8xd, he could just call with a bare fd we don't seem to have many reads. he could even have turned a worse ace which had been calling with it's other card on a diamond draw. Once he check raises the turn though his range changes and is a billion times stronger than if he had check called the turn hence I would bet the turn fist pumping, then whimper and snap fold to the check min raise because he has a frush most of the time.
    Posted by beaneh
    I just can't see a 'solid reg who hasn't got out of line' as has been described by Dohhhhhh flating preflop, this flop and that turn card with Kx, TdTx etc.  Someone with passive tendencies for sure, but to flat in all of these spots is far from solid.
  • edited June 2010
    I can't see a 'SOLID REG' minraising really ever. 
  • edited June 2010
    I can't see a 'SOLID REG' minraising really ever. 
    Posted by beaneh
    Re-read the OP and REG is not mentioned.  My mistake, serves me right for replying to a few of these hands at once.

However the terms 'solid' and 'doesn't get out of line' are our only reads as given.  Forget the min raise on the turn, that's not the basis of our discussion here Beaneh.  From the reads we have his range to give us value is practically nil the way the hand has been played up to our first decision on the turn.  TdTx, Kx etc should be folded by a solid player on the turn.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: 30NL - Solid Oppo, cbet, or not cbet? - and on the turn? : Re-read the OP and REG is not mentioned.  My mistake, serves me right for replying to a few of these hands at once. However the terms 'solid' and 'doesn't get out of line' are our only reads as given.  Forget the min raise on the turn, that's not the basis of our discussion here Beaneh.  From the reads we have his range to give us value is practically nil the way the hand has been played up to our first decision on the turn.  TdTx, Kx etc should be folded by a solid player on the turn.
    Posted by TommyD

'Should' be folded, if you're an aggressive player you'd be surprised how many times hands that should be folded aren't. Also if he is folding all of those hands would you then advocate betting this turn with a 100% frequency except for in the instances when we turn top pair?
  • edited June 2010

so many passive players ITT, you bet the turn for value because we have TPTK, we get value from Kxd, Adx, Jxd. QQ-77d (people are bad). on a side note them folding qq-77d is good for us because then we have 100% of the pot instead of 80% equity when we check back

also if you aren't betting this turn with TPTK i would love to see the hand strength that you would bet the turn with i mean if you have bottom set here what hands do you beat that are between AQ and 66 in hand strength apart from AJ that you can reasonably assume are in a solid person's range. the only difference between bottom set and AQ here is that we peel the turn and try to bink a boat with the set.

essentially you're saying that when you 2barrel this board you have a flush or nothing(semibluff goes here) and that makes your range super polarised, which is bad. i.e vs a polarised range villain should never fold 8x+ on a brick river but vs a balanced range which includes hands for thin value such as Ax he should be folding Kx.

• edited June 2010
    you get value from ace of diamonds, kings and weaker aces by betting turn.
  • edited June 2010
    Beaneh, yes I am generally betting here if I don't make top pair and generally checking if I do make top pair.  In this specific spot with this opponent.

LOL Raise, to your question if we have bottom set.  Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't AK bang in the middle of the villain's range?  Plus a set gives us extension to house up on a river so of course I'm more confident betting a set as I am ahead of more of the villains range with extensions to improve against the made flush.

Ok, maybe I am over estimating the skill level of the villain in this instance, but I also think that you guys might be underestimating their skill level.  77d as part of his range?  I thought this guy was solid, not a monkey with a keyboard.

The more and more I look at this hand I'm starting to think the villain as AQ with A(d) or AK with A(d) and has us locked out.  However, all of my reasoning is based on all actions up to our first one on the turn.

BTW, loving the discussion guys even if I am swimming against the tide, proper poker clinic stuff, well done all :)