You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Me (Goodie) V Baddie! any advice for new cash player?

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Baddie Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £15.36
JIGGSY Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £25.23
Ms_Chips Sit out        
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

slh1980 Fold        
JGIBBRFC Fold        
BananaDog Raise   £0.60 £0.75 £17.51
Baddie
Call   £0.55 £1.30 £14.81
JIGGSY Call   £0.50 £1.80 £24.73
Flop

• Q

Baddie Check        
JIGGSY Check        
BananaDog Bet   £1.80 £3.60 £15.71
Baddie Call   £1.80 £5.40 £13.01
JIGGSY Call   £1.80 £7.20 £22.93
Turn

Baddie Check        
JIGGSY Check        
BananaDog Bet   £7.20 £14.40 £8.51
Baddie All-in   £13.01 £27.41 £0.00
JIGGSY Fold        
BananaDog Call   £5.81 £33.22 £2.70
Baddie Show

BananaDog Show
  • Q
  • Q

River

Baddie
Win Straight to the 6 £31.82   £31.82

Comments

• edited June 2010
    You did nothing wrong.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Me (Goodie) V Baddie! any advice for new cash player?:
    You did nothing wrong.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    phew..thanks, this is all new to me and Ive already been called a muppet once today! lol
    I'm still having a sulk so I'm gonna go fill my face with ice-cream and then start again when the sugar kicks in!
    x
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Me (Goodie) V Baddie! any advice for new cash player? : phew..thanks, this is all new to me and Ive already been called a muppet once today! lol I'm still having a sulk so I'm gonna go fill my face with ice-cream and then start again when the sugar kicks in! x
    Posted by BananaDog
    Yeah, this is just a standard bad beat, so not much analysis if any. But keep posting some tough decision hands. :)
  • edited June 2010
    ok...here is another one. Now I did win this one but I was not happy when I saw how I'd won as I think i probably played it wrong and didn't think what the other guy could have had.... what do u think was I too over-aggressive/stubborn?
    ps, the Baddie here was very loose aggressive going in and calling raises with any 2 cards, he would also call on the turn and only fold on river usually if he had missed....
    BananaDog Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £9.88
    zaccy Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £6.90
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

Baddie Call   £0.10 £0.25 £31.17
    richar1947 Call   £0.10 £0.35 £5.81
    JGIBBRFC Fold        
    Karnage Fold        
    BananaDog Raise   £0.45 £0.80 £9.43
    zaccy Fold        
    Baddie Call   £0.40 £1.20 £30.77
    richar1947 Call   £0.40 £1.60 £5.41
    Flop

BananaDog Bet   £1.60 £3.20 £7.83
    Baddie Call   £1.60 £4.80 £29.17
    richar1947 Fold        
    Turn

BananaDog Bet   £4.80 £9.60 £3.03
    Baddie All-in   £29.17 £38.77 £0.00
    BananaDog All-in   £3.03 £41.80 £0.00
    Baddie Unmatched bet   £21.34 £20.46 £21.34
    BananaDog Show
    • J
    • J

Baddie Show

River

BananaDog Win Full House, 6s and Jacks £19.06   £19.06
  • edited June 2010
    after you bet the turn you can never fold with £3 behind id play it the same
  • edited June 2010
    after you bet the turn you can never fold with £3 behind id play it the same
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    thanks for replying Lolraise...after i won it I turned to my hubby and said "omg...I was so lucky then!" so thought Id post it cos I felt like it was a bit dodgy of me! lol
    ps, your reply has also helped cos I never considered I would only have £3 left...it's something I need to keep in mind when I've put a lot of money in.
  • edited June 2010
    On the first hand i think i would raise less than 6x with QQ. Or is this your standard raise size?
  • edited June 2010
    On the first hand i think i would raise less than 6x with QQ. Or is this your standard raise size?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    ummm...ok dont laugh but I don't play cash (I play DYM's) so as a newby I had no idea what to raise...I raised a lot only cos there were 2 manic callers on the table. Maybe thats when i need to be more careful/passive rather than aggressive?
    ps. I dont always raise that amount, I put more in cos I knew at least 1, probably 2 players who have been calling everything would call - not sure if that was good to build the pot or bad as the pot ended up out of control?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Me (Goodie) V Baddie! any advice for new cash player? : ummm...ok dont laugh but I don't play cash (I play DYM's) so as a newby I had no idea what to raise...I raised a lot only cos there were 2 manic callers on the table. Maybe thats when i need to be more careful/passive rather than aggressive? ps. I dont always raise that amount, I put more in cos I knew at least 1, probably 2 players who have been calling everything would call - not sure if that was good to build the pot or bad as the pot ended up out of control?
    Posted by BananaDog
    Definetely right idea to raise it up big pre, as like you say players like a call, so if their gonna call make it big.
  • edited June 2010
    Well it might just be a bit obvious if you raise bigger with your bigger hands. So I would say keep your raise sizing the same or make it completely random.
  • edited June 2010
    keep making it big and don't fall into the assumption bad players will recognise big raise = big hand, they don't
  • edited June 2010

Well played banana - the first hand you can't play it any better/stronger and he still fished out on you!!

If you are getting 3-5 to call pre flop by raising 6xbb - its absolutely fine.

Bigger is better!!

And after what happened to you in the first hand, you deserved abit of luck in the 2nd hand! ;)

You will win loads at the lower cash tables if you keep going like this - raisisng big with big hands is deffo the way to go!

Keep posting, be lucky :)
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks Blackfish, I'll keep my bet sizes in mind much more. I like to mix up my raise sizes but need to remember not to overbet with only the big hands as you say...thanks for the advice :o)

Zing & Dohhhhhhh, thanks for looking at the hands also - I was ready to quit cash last night cos i felt more confident on the doubles but I'm gonna carry on with cash and try to learn as much as I can :o)
  • edited June 2010
    first hand perfect, welcome to sky....most of the time those go for you and villain does a bunch with the inside draw just really hurts when he hits :)...just remember those players are the reason you're here.

second hand is a bit tricky but given your stack size its bet/call turn or c/f and c/f so way too nitty and missing out on ton of value from mid pp and pair/sd combos picked up on turn
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Me (Goodie) V Baddie! any advice for new cash player? : ummm...ok dont laugh but I don't play cash (I play DYM's) so as a newby I had no idea what to raise...I raised a lot only cos there were 2 manic callers on the table. Maybe thats when i need to be more careful/passive rather than aggressive? ps. I dont always raise that amount, I put more in cos I knew at least 1, probably 2 players who have been calling everything would call - not sure if that was good to build the pot or bad as the pot ended up out of control?
    Posted by BananaDog
    To be fair to you BananaDog, Ive been learning the cash games aswell, and as we both know we've met alot on DYM's and i think a couple of tounraments where we're both more comfortable. I usually raise 10BB pre flop with Jacks or better knowing people will call. So lets make them pay, although i see here some people disagree with this
  • edited June 2010
    its fine to raise that amount if you have calling stations at the table, theres no rule that say must raise 3x pre....its totally table dependant, you're missing out on a stack of value if someone calls EVERYTHING and you just keep raising 3x....you raise to 1. get value and 2. protect your hand

granted, 90% of the time raising more than 4 or 5x is overkill but sounds like you correctly read your table and adjusted to the dynamics, wp.
  • edited June 2010
    Heres on i could have played better maybe?
    RaaHell Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £3.60
    halenpace Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £1.90
      Your hole cards
    • K

BaddieCall  £0.10 £0.25 £1.78
    shad31 Fold     
    TREVO47 Fold     
    The_Don90 Call  £0.10 £0.35 £9.75
    RaaHell Call  £0.05 £0.40 £3.55
    halenpace Check     
    Flop

• J

RaaHell Check     
    halenpace Check     
    mezza3 Check     
    The_Don90 Bet  £0.20 £0.60 £9.55
    RaaHell Fold     
    halenpace Fold     
    BaddieCall  £0.20 £0.80 £1.58
    Turn

BaddieCheck     
    The_Don90 Bet  £0.30 £1.10 £9.25
    BaddieCall  £0.30 £1.40 £1.28
    River

• A

BaddieCheck     
    The_Don90 Check     
    BaddieShow
    • K
    • Q

The_Don90 Muck
    • K

BaddieWin Flush to the Ace £1.30  £2.58
  • edited June 2010
    personally i fold pre but if you are going play which is ok IP, you should be raising so...

raise pre, bet/fold each street 

no value in limping, you need to define your oppos hand and by limping you have no idea what ur up aginst

as played you should bet more on flop and turn
  • ybyb
    edited June 2010
    Either raise to 50p, or fold preflop. At these stakes I would just fold it, even with position there isn't much point in playing a hand like K5s as it's easy to hit top pair then start betting for value thinking your up against a calling station then find you're outkicked.
  • edited June 2010
    Heres on i could have played better maybe? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance RaaHell Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £3.60 halenpace Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £1.90   Your hole cards 5 K       Baddie Call   £0.10 £0.25 £1.78 shad31 Fold         TREVO47 Fold         The_Don90 Call   £0.10 £0.35 £9.75 RaaHell Call   £0.05 £0.40 £3.55 halenpace Check         Flop     3 J 5       RaaHell Check         halenpace Check         mezza3 Check         The_Don90 Bet   £0.20 £0.60 £9.55 RaaHell Fold         halenpace Fold         Baddie Call   £0.20 £0.80 £1.58 Turn     9       Baddie Check         The_Don90 Bet   £0.30 £1.10 £9.25 Baddie Call   £0.30 £1.40 £1.28 River     A       Baddie Check         The_Don90 Check         Baddie Show K Q       The_Don90 Muck 5 K       Baddie Win Flush to the Ace £1.30   £2.58
    Posted by The_Don90
    Hi The_Don90
    I would Fold this hand Pre-Flop in my opinion.

Calling with this type of hand pre-flop can get us into a whole heep of trouble when we hit on the flop.