You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

QUESTION for Regular Table mates/Railers...

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hey all!!

I was going to post a few hands.. but to be honest I generally know where I have gone wrong when I make obvious mistakes based on impatience, emotion, a misread or more often just plain stupidity...

My question is more of a broad question. Since I'm lucky enough to have a fair few of you pop by to say hello and even play on the same tables I would really like to just throw it open to you guys since you've seen most donk calls, raises and stubborn reraises I've made..

What/Where/How do you think I could improve my game?

I seem to play better live and I'm obviously a thousand times better than I used to be online as I'm making it through the bulk of the field a lot more frequently. But I seem to be stuck at an impasse at the moment..

xLM

Comments

• edited June 2010
    post some hands :)

but generally if you're early on in your poker advertures , which i assume you are, usually bad plays like loose calls/stubborn re-raises are out of curiosity or growing some cajones for a second without actually thinking what you want to call/what range your oppo has/what you are hoping to get to fold/what your perceived range is/what are u trying to rep etc

either way get involved with posting hands :D

• edited June 2010
    I was going to Lynxy but every time I try to search it 'timed out'.

I'll have another go later.
  • edited June 2010
    Far be it for me to advise anyone on poker but...

One think I have noticed, and Tikay has shouted out to you live from the telly box is, when you've built yourself a massive stack quite early on in a tournament (think deepstacks) you become looser and looser.  Then by mid tournament your stack has been severly reduced.  It usually ends with an optimistic shove. :-(

Use Tikay's advice and go to sleep for 5 levels!
  • edited June 2010
    How long before 'A J' gets mentioned?
  • edited June 2010
    Hi LM

As you said yourself, you have a tendancy not to beleive people, if it gets too much to call, imo, you need to get rid, find a better spot, I know you can raise with a deceny hand, but, listen to what answer you get back, use your knowledge of the table, who will fold to a raise, or reraise and who will continue no matter what :)
  • edited June 2010
    ALWAYS fold when I raise.   ;-)

• edited June 2010
    Lol. Thanks guys. I'll write these down next to my lappy to remind myself!!

AJ is the NUTZ Mohican. Everyone knows that ;)
  • edited June 2010
    LM, quick question for you.  When playing online do you actively try to put people on hands (both when you are in the hand and when not) or are you quite focused on your own hand strength?  I ask because in live poker there's a lot more information about to put people on ranges of hands.  There's plenty of info online, but you need to look in different places.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: QUESTION for Regular Table mates/Railers...:
    LM, quick question for you.  When playing online do you actively try to put people on hands (both when you are in the hand and when not) or are you quite focused on your own hand strength?  I ask because in live poker there's a lot more information about to put people on ranges of hands.  There's plenty of info online, but you need to look in different places.
    Posted by TommyD
    That's a great point Tommy. To be honest I generally go on what other hands my hand would be beaten by and how likely I think my opponents are to have them based on their betting patterns/table image/previous actions pre flop and during the course of the hand.

I'm 100% open to any other info or advice you may have on this as I seem to misread a fair amount of time online and maybe I am not focusing on the right things.. Or just need to give people more respect for the hand they are representing.

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: QUESTION for Regular Table mates/Railers...:
     Hi LML  Not my place to tell you how to play Poker but your advantage in live poker is obvious the men are mesmerised by your beauty and they forget to play properly ogling you and trying to impress you. So my advice flash your eye lashes and co co them for all your worth while taking their chips. Us Nora Batties have no chance and need to stick to on line Poker.!!!!  gl Annie x
    Posted by logdon
    LOL Annie.. Thank you for the compliment, although you are MUCH too kind!

Actually being a girl in Live games can work against me in that some men tend to 'soft play' me and I don't end up getting value for my hands or they write me off and and try to bully and bet me into submission! I've just about worked out how to use this to my advantage.. ;)

Most poker players to their credit (Male or female) just get on with the business of playing poker!