You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do i stop getting eaten

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
I do well in tournaments past a certian stage but then i just start to get eaten, its not a nice feeling being eaten and seing your chips go but what can you do?

I see all this talk of aggresive play but how can these guys have no hand for 10 times in a row and pick the right one to be aggressive with?

Say im getting eaten from £60,000 to £30,000 during that time ive had; 2-3. 4-9, 2-7. 6-8, 5-7, 3-J,

Next hand im on big blind (£8,000) and get 3-6

What am i supposed to do?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    stop being so tasty.
  • edited June 2010
    Avoid the french
  • edited June 2010
    stop putting dressing on
  • edited June 2010

Poker clinic!!

The structure on sky about 2 hours - 2 hours 30 mins in, for that half an hour, the majority of the field are playing pretty short stacked in relation to the blinds. There is always alot of crash bang wallop around here....

You really could do with picking up a hand or 2 here, to double/trebble up and get yourself in final table contention...

All I can say is be patient, but while ur waiting...

If you are on the button, or the small blind, and nobody else has limped in/raised when the action get to you, forget about your cards, and put a raise in. You'r gonna take the blinds more often than not, which maintains your stack.

Likewise, if you're in the big blind, and someone keeps raising you in late position, forget your cards, shove your stack in. Make sure he has a big enough stack to fold, and take the dead money.

Forget your cards basically and look for situations.

If you're doing this alot, when you eventually get some hands - your image will help you get paid. They will get fed up of you raising, snap, and see the bad news.

GL - have a look in/post in the clinic for better and more replies.
  • edited June 2010
    Exactly as Dohhhh says, you must be looking for opportunities not hands.

Its too easy to keep on folding and moan to youself about the rubbish you are picking up. You have to be totally aware of what is going on around you. Who is shortstacked? Who is a serial limper ? Is the guy who keeps on min raising from the button likely to fold to you shoving over the top ? ?

In your example you may have left it too late. Action was needed before you dipped down to under 4BBs. With poor hands you need to be playing from a position with as few players as possible to act after you. So your 5 7 on the button may have been your best chance to get them all in and steal the blinds.If called, even against AK this hand is not that much of a dog.

Obviously if somebody has made a big raise in front of you its not a calling hand. But its an opportunity in any unraised pot.

Once again, with your stack, even J3 in the small blind has to be a shove if unraised.

But always keep a close eye on the relative chipstacks. Can the guys afford to give up their blinds or are they also so short they are pot committed with any two?

Pick a target among those in front of you, is there a big stack who keeps stealing the blinds with a min raise? Are there any weak players who are just looking to beat the bubble?

If you do steal a couple of blinds, dont just sit back and think that you have paid for your blinds next time round, keep it going, hit them again !

Often you will find that next pot you then pick up a hand and will probably get paid !

• edited June 2010
    Quallity posts as expected from you two!, I'll be putting your adivce into good use over the weekend.

Many thanks once a gain.