You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Those hooks again, what would you do?

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Ok, villain is proving to be weak passive.  They started at the table with 40 and I am the major reason for the double up.  In an earlier pot the villain called my button raise with AJ in the SB v my AT.  They then check called the A high flop to the turn by which time they were all in and their hand held.  Lot's of limp calling from them so far.  Moving on to the hand in question, we get the hooks on the BB and we get two of the limpers come along with our 5xBB raise.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
varney Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £149.44
TommyD Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £88.66
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

villain Call  £1.00 £2.50 £82.00
heyhelms Fold     
kareem111 Call  £1.00 £3.50 £133.38
ajs4385 Fold     
varney Call  £0.50 £4.00 £148.94
TommyD Raise  £5.00 £9.00 £83.66
VillainCall  £5.00 £14.00 £77.00
kareem111 Call  £5.00 £19.00 £128.38
varney Fold     
Flop

• A

TommyD Check     
villainBet  £19.00 £38.00 £58.00
kareem111 Fold     
TommyD ?????    

What do you think of the check on the flop?
What would you do next?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    That's a great Vid Machka, had me in fits.  Not going to reveal yet if I uttered similar language or in fact I could show him how to play pocket Jacks.
  • edited June 2010
    I cannot take the credit, -TYPHOON- posted it in BlackFish3's thread HERE which has an even funnier video link.
  • edited June 2010

Yuk T.D!

This is the sort of hand, both in tournys and cash, where if I try to continue, be smart, play down the streets, I almost ALWAYS come undone.

I just tell myself - leave it alone, don't get involved, let them have my fiver, and get them later. 

I could convince myself my Jack of hearts is good for a flush, my jacks r still good, I cud make myself paranoid that im being bluffed, that he has the bare K of hearts, and before I know it I'm all in and drawing super thin.

I need to read more on cash - gonna re-read H.on cash, u reccomend any more cash specific books Tommy? - I like ur game, did u create it urself? or learn it from a book? lol

Sorry I cant help u in this hand, I probably lead out for a chunky 8/10's of the pot bet alot/most of the time, or check fold if the guys just a fish waiting to be caught. - pray I find a hand to get him before anyone else does.
  • edited June 2010
    What I would do and what you should do are prob worlds apart.

I have one stab at the flop 2/3 size bet then give up if I get interest.
    As played, I would chuck it away to that bet.
  • edited June 2010
    if you have a good read on your oppo here there are a couple of ways this can play out.

If my oppo is constantly limping, I am going to check at this point to induce a bet from him then I am going to shove.

He has called my 5 x BB Raise pre-flop, so I already have him on a pair.

He will see your check on the flop as  a sign of weekness, he still hopes his mid pair is still strong so he pot bets hoping you fold, if you show him some action after his bet on the flop he is either going to fold or you could take down a sizable pot.

If your oppo had hit the flush on the flop, I think he would have shoved. I certainly don't put him on a hand like AJ or AQ as he called my 5 x BB raise pre-flop so as I said, I have put him on a pair.

Anyway, Hope you took this one down Tommy, Can't wait to see.
  • edited June 2010
    pokertrev, in cash games people dont tend to open shove 4x pot when they flop flushes he can easily have an ace and just thinks its a dirty board so bet pot.

check/shoving this flop is pretty terrible, you're going to get the money in in bad shape, villain bought in for 40bbs, therefore he is bad and wont be folding top pair

i think the best thing to do is fold as he bet into 3 people, at best he is going to have a big heart giving him 40%+ pot equity and also lots of fold equity shoving the turn, which his pot bet on flop sets him up perfectly to do. generally when people bet pot at lower stakes they have a really narrow hand range, but as you dont have a specific read on whether he does this as a bluff or with the nuts just fold.

i would probably cbet the flop then chk/fold later streets unimproved. if you do cbet and turn is a heart i would check and bet/fold river if he checks back, call if he bets but chk/fold river if he bets again
  • edited June 2010
    you could bet/fold flop for half or something, give up if you get action

as played fold is best as you are either drawing to the heart which wont get you paid or you are up against a bigger heart draw and are prob 60/40 with vilain shoving any turn card too

tricky spot to decide whether to c-bet but i reckon half/g4y betting the flop is ok

not a fan of check shove ever on this board, i cant see whats calling that you beat unless villain is a total spew monkey with low PPs which just isnt gonna happen after a pot mash into 2 players
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Those hooks again, what would you do?:
    pokertrev, in cash games people dont tend to open shove 4x pot when they flop flushes he can easily have an ace and just thinks its a dirty board so bet pot. check/shoving this flop is pretty terrible, you're going to get the money in in bad shape, villain bought in for 40bbs, therefore he is bad and wont be folding top pair   i think the best thing to do is fold as he bet into 3 people, at best he is going to have a big heart giving him 40%+ pot equity and also lots of fold equity shoving the turn, which his pot bet on flop sets him up perfectly to do. generally when people bet pot at lower stakes they have a really narrow hand range, but as you dont have a specific read on whether he does this as a bluff or with the nuts just fold. i would probably cbet the flop then chk/fold later streets unimproved. if you do cbet and turn is a heart i would check and bet/fold river if he checks back, call if he bets but chk/fold river if he bets again
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    I totally agree LOL_RAISE

Standard play here only has two options

1. Check/Fold
    2. C/Bet Flop and fold to any action

If I raise 5 x BB Pre-Flop and get called by villain, I can't see how I can put him on ace high?

I am assuming OP has a good read on villain as he has told us that up until this point villain has only been doing a lot of Limp/calling which is again why on this occasion I have put him on a pocket pair.

I think villain hates this flop so much he has no option but to pot bet and fold to any action.

Tbh - I really hate this flop and without having a read on the villain, I too would check fold or c/bet and fold to any action in most instances. 
  • edited June 2010

i would say Ax makes up the vast majority of his range

• edited June 2010
    Going to post my thinking and reply to specific questions tomorrow as I'm just off out for the football, but I thought I'd put the result up for you guys to get your shots in first.  Can't wait to discuss it with you guys after these replies, thank you everyone.  So here's the hand in full, I took a somewhat less than subtle line.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    varney Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £149.44
    TommyD Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £88.66
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

VillainCall  £1.00 £2.50 £82.00
    heyhelms Fold     
    kareem111 Call  £1.00 £3.50 £133.38
    ajs4385 Fold     
    varney Call  £0.50 £4.00 £148.94
    TommyD Raise  £5.00 £9.00 £83.66
    Villain Call  £5.00 £14.00 £77.00
    kareem111 Call  £5.00 £19.00 £128.38
    varney Fold     
    Flop

• A

TommyD Check     
    Villain Bet  £19.00 £38.00 £58.00
    kareem111 Fold     
    TommyD All-in  £83.66 £121.66 £0.00
    Villain Fold     
    TommyD Muck     
    TommyD Win  £55.20  £55.20
    TommyD Return  £64.66 £1.80 £119.86
    One last point, LOL_Raise, I completely agree with your post on his range.  I had him on Ax.
  • edited June 2010
    It's a pitty we didn't get to see what villain had but at least I was partly correct in my previous post by guessing you were going to check/shove.

"I am going to check at this point to induce a bet from him then I am going to shove"

You made the play as I predicted and took down the pot. Not a play for the faint hearted and if you put villain on Ax then its an even braver play than I had originally thought.

Anyway best of luck on the tables m8y
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks Tommy. Great to see your action on this hand. Looking forward to the thought process!

My reply would have been: 

Type HALF NUTZ! in the chatbox and stay frozen in time until God/Alien/Jackie Chan appears to tell you what to do.

Then I would probably have died a little bit inside.

• edited June 2010

i would take a note that he pot bets when checked to on scary boards with air and next time he does it call him down ridiculously light and tell myself i am a god at poker if right.

pokertrev, i will admit that your psychic abilities are impressive, but that doesnt make it the correct play :)

• edited June 2010
    All-in as soon as JJ is dealt.

The only possible way to play them, no?
  • edited June 2010
    Ok, here was my thinking:
    The Player
    I've already identified the player as weak.  Also as stated he bought in for 40 quid.  Since his double he's had more than enough time to stand and cash in, the fact he hasn't tells me this is a player not using a shorting style.  This combined with the fact they are so loose passive preflop makes me think they are taking a shot at a higher level and are not quite rolled for this level.  So we have scared money at the table.
    Their range
    Preflop even though I've raised it up 5xBB his range is still super wide.  Any pair, any broadway combination, any ace, even down to trashy hands like K9, Q8 etc.  The flop is awful for me and I'm OOP so I decided to check.  I was against the C-Bet because the villain will call a sensible bet with any piece of the flop so a bet against him doesn't give me as much information as it would from other players.  I make the check to see how it develops behind me and this is where things get better.  I read the villain's pot bet here as superweak.  It's screaming out Ax with no hearts.  I love the fact the other player folds and now it's up to me to consider if I can get the villain off his hand.
    I decide to turn my hand into a semi-bluff.  While I have the villain on Ax they may have K(h)x as well, so on one side of the coin my hand will be drawing to the flush, on the other side my hand's ahead and I have to fade a heart.  I very much doubted that this player would pot the flop with AK(h) or AQ(h), my nightmare hands.  I don't want the call, but I'm thinking my hand plays ok against his range if he does call.
    I was confident he would fold though.  Suddenly put under all that pressure from the check/shove which is representing AK(h) and above, he'll look down at his stack, realise he's still 20 pounds ahead and fold through the fear of losing the rest.  So I make the move and the timer goes five sixths of the way down before folding, which I think confirms he had Ax.
    One last note, I am note recommending this move against the field, this was all very player dependant.
  • edited June 2010
    just one thing., you say a cbet wont give you as much information as it will from others, you should be betting to either get worse hands to call or better hands to fold not for the information. i dont really like it if you are specifically trying to get him to fold Ax, but nh anyway
  • edited June 2010

Good play, you have the potential second third nuts and I recon he's got aj-k off and did a good job of asking the question...you responded and he listened...you had many outs here, he was trying to get you off suited connectors or something!

I like this but only in cash, would play differently in a tourney

x