You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Never felt confident....

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic

I just want anlysis throughout this hand, obv pre flop im happy i made the right play (duhh)

After that, I had so many thoughts flying through my head about what he has, getting value from his bluffs, protecting what I have, my "equity" if im behind, then on the end value betting.

3 weeks ago I play it stronger and win more.

But trying to change for the better, and and put what I've learnt into practise, can u guys just talk me through what u wud be thinking on the flop turn and river....

brb when I remember to get the hand on copy! lol

Aight, reads on the guy, is he's pretty average, loose passive, as most are down these stakes. Have notes that he limp calls pre alot, but this is irrelevant, but generally abit of a fish....
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
BATFINK714 Small blind  £0.20 £0.20 £29.39
xxxBig blind  £0.40 £0.60 £39.33
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

james347 Fold     
PokerNo1 Call  £0.40 £1.00 £10.72
Ozzie08 Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £2.00 £3.00 £40.84
BATFINK714 Call  £1.80 £4.80 £27.59
xxxCall  £1.60 £6.40 £37.73
PokerNo1 Call  £1.60 £8.00 £9.12
Flop

• Q

BATFINK714 Check     
xxxBet  £4.00 £12.00 £33.73
PokerNo1 Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Call  £4.00 £16.00 £36.84
BATFINK714 Fold     
Turn

xxxCheck     
DOHHHHHHH Check     
River

xxxCheck     
DOHHHHHHH Check     
xxxShow
  • J
  • J

DOHHHHHHH Show
  • Q
  • A

DOHHHHHHH Win Pair of Queens £15.20  £52.04

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Hi JJ

The turn was obviously the card to slow you down.

A lot depends on how you saw the unnamed player playing the hand.

After the flop you should have been fairly confident you were ahead, and were facing a check and a weak bet with one player to act. I think this is where a raise to maybe £10/12 would have been better. Firstly to isolate the raiser (although the other two folded anyway) but also to give you more information as to where you were. How would he have reacted? If he had folded you would have been no worse off than you finished up.

Cant blame you for checking behind on the turn, I would definitely have been wary of the flush draw, and it was right to control the size of pot at this point.

But if you had raised on flop and been called you may have felt more able to make a small value bet on the river. After the nonarrival of the spade, the only hands that you were really worrying about were A8,78,89 spades.

But you know I cant play cash anyway !

• edited June 2010
    raise flop, shove turn!

however il try and explain a bit better..
    obv pre is fine and flop TPTK which is happy days, get lead into on a pretty wet board 4way which does look very strong, although it is only a halfpot bet which makes me think its alot less likely to be a set/2pr and more likely a bit of a 'blocker' bet, or even worse Qx that dont want to see this flop get checked through.
    so much value in raising this board and we get to isolate the donk bettor and get it headsup, he overcalls pre vs. an iso raise so AA,KK,QQ are pretty much ruled out of his range. i would imagine he can have 67 66 77 Qx draws (although discounted because we have the As) & random stuff like 7x 89 99-JJ etc.
    like i said earlier his halfpot lead makes me think it is less likely to be a strong made hand and that we have the best hand alot so i would make it £12 and call a shove. if he has a set we can just bink the bdfd like 4% of the time which feels soooooooooo good.

if he flats the £12 flop bet pot on turn is £32 with less than a pot sized bet left so we just shove pretty happily.

as you played it i would be planning on bet/folding turn for ~ £12 when checked to and checking back most rivers ( shove on  A, Q spade)

you said hes loose passive guy so will be calling down alot worse than AQ, also means he is more likely to be c/c ing with his draws on flop which makes the turn card look alot less scary for you
  • edited June 2010
    well as an experienced cash player of a full 3 days...(stop laughing guys!) I would have put pot size bet in after the turn so that if he was drawing he had no odds to call (and cos I'm an idiot and can be stubborn!)
    ps....this is not to be taken seriously as I am on my way back to the DYM's after my nobby play today! lol
    gl Dohhhhhhh...just wish I was as good as you lot x
  • edited June 2010

Thanx Lol, Im not a donk, unless its 4am and im legless, Im a winning cash player, but Im looking to base my plays on theory, and have reasons for what I do, rather than just do something coz I know through experience it works...

Think thats the only way Im gonna be able to move up and play higher...

And Nana....

Dont give up!!!! U have to stick at u can play perfect and still lose for a few weeks in a row at cash!

And did u see that baddy having a pop at me in the other forum!!! think u shud set Dobby and Buddy on him!   :(
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Never felt confident....:
    Thanx Lol, Im not a donk, unless its 4am and im legless, Im a winning cash player, but Im looking to base my plays on theory, and have reasons for what I do, rather than just do something coz I know through experience it works... Think thats the only way Im gonna be able to move up and play higher... And Nana.... Dont give up!!!! U have to stick at u can play perfect and still lose for a few weeks in a row at cash! And did u see that baddy having a pop at me in the other forum!!! think u shud set Dobby and Buddy on him!   :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    yeah...stupid baddies! Dog's r in the post to his house now! GRRRRRR!!!!
  • ybyb
    edited June 2010
    Hey dohh,

I dont really wanna add much as I'm petty drunk, but raise flop for valuueeee!! Pretty obvious blocker bet lol!
  • edited June 2010
    raise flop on that board with probable blocker bet