You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

nationality

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
As the team head to that village in America I just wondered how , if at all , the nationality of your opponent affects play. Not just that say Scandinavians , have a different approach to the game but that the value of money can be different. The pound in UK doesn't buy you much but in some poorer nations its a fortune so they have a different attitude to money than us.

Comments

• edited June 2010

Anyone who is in the WSOP won't even think about the value of money during the tournament, if they do it would become scared money, and a hinderance to their normal game, like a millstone around their necks. As for players from poorer countries, i doubt these players are the poor from these countries.

• edited June 2010

the main difficulty is for those from foreign language speaking countries having to play poker in english.  thankfully there are wireless headsets available for translations to tell them what cards they have and what has been flopped. 

• edited June 2010
    What ? You mean they dont have pounds out there ?
  • edited June 2010
    Why is everything done in dollers, i had money on PS and it was pants 11 dollers was 7pounds or somthing, so i didnt care much. Changed it to euro now which is 5 euro diffrence so if i had 20 euro it is 15 pounds and now im playing better coz the money has some sorta near pound value....probs doesnt make sence to alot of you but i know what i mean
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: nationality:
    Why is everything done in dollers, i had money on PS and it was pants 11 dollers was 7pounds or somthing, so i didnt care much. Changed it to euro now which is 5 euro diffrence so if i had 20 euro it is 15 pounds and now im playing better coz the money has some sorta near pound value....probs doesnt make sence to alot of you but i know what i mean
    Posted by kunster
    Don't tell a soul, but not everything is in $$$'s. Sky Poker is in £££'s.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: nationality : Don't tell a soul, but not everything is in $$$'s. Sky Poker is in £££'s.
    Posted by Tikay10
    lol yeah i know this but theres not alot of traffic on this site i like sit and goes normal speed and theres just not anyone playing then on hear.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to nationality:
    As the team head to that village in America I just wondered how , if at all , the nationality of your opponent affects play. Not just that say Scandinavians , have a different approach to the game but that the value of money can be different. The pound in UK doesn't buy you much but in some poorer nations its a fortune so they have a different attitude to money than us.
    Posted by tiercel
    In poker, as in life, it's generally a mistake to apply racial/national stereotypes.
  • edited June 2010
    I would think it's the same as playing a sky poker mtt. You are playing with 3000 chips rather than 3000 dollars, yen, pounds, or euros etc. So you stack size in multi-lingual.
  • edited June 2010
    I would think it's the same as playing a sky poker mtt. You are playing with 3000 chips rather than 3000 dollars, yen, pounds, or euros etc. So you stack size in multi-lingual.
    Posted by POKERTREV
    But at the the przie is not, 11dollers would be 7.20
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: nationality : Don't tell a soul, but not everything is in $$$'s. Sky Poker is in £££'s.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Aren't Sky Poker one of the only sites if not the only site with a £ buy in set up?

I certainly know it was one of the main factors i joined sky, no need to work out when was good to withdraw and when wasn't it was simple, i withdrew exactly what i expected.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: nationality : Aren't Sky Poker one of the only sites if not the only site with a £ buy in set up? I certainly know it was one of the main factors i joined sky, no need to work out when was good to withdraw and when wasn't it was simple, i withdrew exactly what i expected.
    Posted by The_Don90

I-poker network do pounds euro and dollers will hill do pounds euro and dollers
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: nationality : Aren't Sky Poker one of the only sites if not the only site with a £ buy in set up? I certainly know it was one of the main factors i joined sky, no need to work out when was good to withdraw and when wasn't it was simple, i withdrew exactly what i expected.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Many sites do multi-curency, usually a combination of $-€ -£.

I don't know any except Sky Poker who do £ only, but I expect there are some.

I was replying to Root-Kunal's inaccurate question- "Why is everything done in dollers (sic)?".

Sky Poker get the blame for a lot of things, often quite reasonably. But it's hardly their problem that other sites, indeed Online Poker in the main, trade mainly in $$$'s.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: nationality : Many sites do multi-curency, usually a combination of $-€ -£. I don't know any except Sky Poker who do £ only, but I expect there are some. I was replying to Kunsters inaccurate question-
    Posted by Tikay10
    You mean ROOT_KUNAL booooooooooooooom
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to nationality : In poker, as in life, it's generally a mistake to apply racial/national stereotypes.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Does this include the French as they all smell of garlic, wear berets and have onions hanging from their necks?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: nationality : You mean ROOT_KUNAL booooooooooooooom
    Posted by Root_Kunal
    You will always be a right kunster to us boooooooooooooooooom
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: nationality : Does this include the French as they all smell of garlic, wear berets and have onions hanging from their necks?
    Posted by loonytoons
    That's a pretty poor description of Catherine Deneuve.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: nationality : You will always be a right kunster to us boooooooooooooooooom
    Posted by loonytoons
    I do hope so
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to nationality : In poker, as in life, it's generally a mistake to apply racial/national stereotypes.
    Posted by MereNovice
    I thought it was generally accepted that the French and the Italians make terrible poker players!:)