You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Simple Maths

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat

Quick question..

What is a half divided by a half?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    The answer is one.
  • edited June 2010
     its a quarter - but im in the minority by the looks of it!
  • edited June 2010

Only one vote so for for "a half"?

;)
  • edited June 2010
    ummm...just looking for my calculator!
  • edited June 2010
    The answer is indubitably one.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Maths:
    The answer is indubitably one.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Did you accidently lean on your keyboard or is this actually a word?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Maths : Did you accidently lean on your keyboard or is this actually a word?
    Posted by Patching99
    It's definitely a word - that's incontrovertible.  :-)))

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Maths : It's definitely a word - that's incontrovertible.  :-)))
    Posted by MereNovice
    Ah, i've heard that one one, my car is an incontrovertible, i.e. no soft top. ;-)
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Maths : Ah, i've heard that one one, my car is an incontrovertible, i.e. no soft top. ;-)
    Posted by Patching99
    my doctor said that I should have one of those cars...  a cortisone injection

• edited June 2010
    lol - maths is fun :D

Division is how many times one number fits into another
    so 10 divided by 2 is 5, as 2 'fits' in to 10 five times

i.e. 1/2 divided by 1/2 is 1 (as once you've put one 1/2 into your 1/2 it is full)

mechanically (although I can't find a proper divide symbol :( )
    1/2  /  1/2  =  1/2 x 2/1  = 2/2  =  1

If it's any comfort, proportion (fractions, percentages and odds) is the subject which more people struggle with in maths than any other concept.
  • edited June 2010
    lol - maths is fun :D Division is how many times one number fits into another so 10 divided by 2 is 5, as 2 'fits' in to 10 five times i.e. 1/2 divided by 1/2 is 1 (as once you've put one 1/2 into your 1/2 it is full) mechanically (although I can't find a proper divide symbol :( ) 1/2  /  1/2  =  1/2 x 2/1  = 2/2  =  1 If it's any comfort, proportion (fractions, percentages and odds) is the subject which more people struggle with in maths than any other concept.
    Posted by BelovedLtd
    I've found that more people struggle with calculus than fractions, percentages and odds.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Maths : I've found that more people struggle with calculus than fractions, percentages and odds.
    Posted by MereNovice
    I struggle with maths full stop...

I still think 1/2 divided by 1/2 should be 1/4. I KNOW it is 1, but despite the well intentioned explantion above, i still don't get it.

I know enough to "get by" in poker, but that's it im afraid

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Maths : I've found that more people struggle with calculus than fractions, percentages and odds.
    Posted by MereNovice
    The proportion of people who do calculus struggle with it more than the proportion of people who do proportions

But more people have to deal with proportions overall as basically everybody does at various points, whereas the only people who do calculus are really the people studying it.

Therefore, more people struggle with the concept of proportion than anything else
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Maths : I struggle with maths full stop... I still think 1/2 divided by 1/2 should be 1/4. I KNOW it is 1, but despite the well intentioned explantion above, i still don't get it. I know enough to "get by" in poker, but that's it im afraid
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    greg... there a wonderful thread "WWHD" on here where the guy answers every question in the universe.  ask him, he'll know.

regards
    rob

• edited June 2010

if you've got this far, knowing the answer is one, what is zero divided by zero?

• edited June 2010
    if you've got this far, knowing the answer is one, what is zero divided by zero?
    Posted by aussie09
    Like so many poker questions the answer is "It depends ...".
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by aussie09
    It's undefined
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Maths : greg... there a wonderful thread "WWHD" on here where the guy answers every question in the universe.  ask him, he'll know. regards rob  
    Posted by aussie09
    Lol, i reckon Hogg would say, refer any enquiries regarding maths to his in-house expert Merenovice
  • edited June 2010
    How can you divide nothing? its like if we had a basket with no bananas in it, how can i halve those non existent bananas or  would it be yes we have no bananas? or am i talking bananas?
  • edited June 2010
    How can you divide nothing? its like if we had a basket with no bananas in it, how can i halve those non existent bananas or  would it be yes we have no bananas? or am i talking bananas?
    Posted by loonytoons
    That's why it's undefined, it can be 'interpreted' to mean different things but essentially it has no answer.

After a certain stage then number theory becomes more like philosophy than a science, your post reminded me of that - although from what I recall from university there was probably less emphasis on the bananas. :D
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by loonytoons
    The probability that you are talking bananas is less than the probability of half of a non-existent banana being divided by half and then becoming a whole banana, when actually it should become a quarter of a non-existent banana.

maths is bananas, end of.

• edited June 2010
    Posted by loonytoons
    well-- no tomatoes are still red, so they must be there somewhere, but invisible
  • edited June 2010
    a half of a half is a quarter but we arent looking for that, we want to divide it by a half, which is equivalent of multiplying by 2. using my a level in maths, i concur that 0.5 *2 is indeed 1
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Maths : well-- no tomatoes are still red, so they must be there somewhere, but invisible
    Posted by oynutter
     You are making the presumption the no tomatoes are ripe if you think they are red! Could they not also be green or yellow?
     As all colours are created by the light shone upon them their is only a perception of colour their is no actual true colour that exists!
  • edited June 2010
    a half of a half is a quarter but we arent looking for that, we want to divide it by a half, which is equivalent of multiplying by 2. using my a level in maths, i concur that 0.5 *2 is indeed 1
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Check your PM's Mr Raise, please!
  • edited June 2010
    lol-- how can it be the same as multiplying by two??-- 2 x 2= 4----2 / 2 = 1---a level--??
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Simple Maths :  You are making the presumption the no tomatoes are ripe if you think they are red! Could they not also be green or yellow?  As all colours are created by the light shone upon them their is only a perception of colour their is no actual true colour that exists!
    Posted by Donut64
    They are sainsburys tomotoes,so they are perfectly red, although they do also sell green ones, just to please everyone--- except Tikay, who would'nt eat green ones, even if there were none of them
  • edited June 2010
    he means like this  - (although it would look better if I knew how to insert the divide symbol)

In Response to Re: Simple Maths:
    ... mechanically (although I can't find a proper divide symbol :(

1/2  /  1/2  =  1/2 x 2/1  = 2/2  =  1 

Posted by BelovedLtd

• edited June 2010
    5 divided by 5 = 1
    4 divided by 4 = 1
    3 divided by 3 = 1
    2 divided by 2 = 1
    1 divided by 1 = 1

so 1/2 divided by a 1/2 = 1 however it is one half and not 1 whole 1

1/2 divide into a half is a 1/4
  • edited June 2010
    ok I give up on trying to work out why the quote went weird in that post, but the content is what matters