You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

BBC PC Plonkers

edited June 2010 in The Shed
Just switched on to see the match and it is advertised as :- 'Brazil v Cote d'ivoire'

Why do they not write Ivory Coast in english, and if they were doing it in their native tongue, why did they not write Brasil, next they will be writing Angleterre v Deutschland, what a load of poo.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    It's funny you should mention that loony. Walking through town on my way home last week one of the pubs had a blackboard outside advertising the games they were showing that day & they had also written Cote d'ivoire.

I found it highly amusing & wondered why they couldn't just write Ivory Coast?
  • edited June 2010
    Côte d'Ivoire (English pronunciation: /ˌkoʊt diˈvwɑr/; French: [kot diˈvwaʁ]), officially the Republic of Côte d'Ivoire, is a country in Africa. Although it is commonly known in English as Ivory Coast, the Ivorian government officially discourages this usage, preferring the French name Côte d'Ivoire to be used in all languages.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: BBC PC Plonkers:
    Côte d'Ivoire (English pronunciation:  /ˌkoʊt diˈvwɑr/ ; French:  [kot diˈvwaʁ] ), officially the Republic of Côte d'Ivoire , is a country in Africa. Although it is commonly known in English as Ivory Coast , the Ivorian government officially discourages this usage, preferring the French name Côte d'Ivoire to be used in all languages.
    Posted by TheAAces
    So why did the local African transmitters of the game have ivory coast in English lol
  • edited June 2010

BBC had IVC in the top corner score box, surely it should be CIV.  BBC missed a trick there.  Bet the BBC's International Language Liason Officer on £50K a year is in deep sh it.

• edited June 2010
    I think that nobody in history had the right to call peoples countries what they felt like.

Englishman......Where are we?

Spaniard.......Espana.

Englishman......Ok i will call it Spain.

Its the same in loads of instances all over the word and most countries do it the cheeky gets.

At least the Germans had the good manners to call it England (in a Herr Flick accent granted) when thats what we said it was called, but when they said we were in Deutchland we decided to call it Germany lol well funny but not in order.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: BBC PC Plonkers:
    BBC had IVC in the top corner score box, surely it should be CIV.  BBC missed a trick there.  Bet the BBC's International Language Liason Officer on £50K a year is in deep sh it.
    Posted by Patching99
    Cote D'Ivoire's ISO country codes are CI & CIV, the ISO number being 384. I expect heads to effing roll at the BBC for this IVC/CIV outrage, this is as good as a declaration of war to Ivorians.