You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ok im a poor poker player

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I must now fully admit i am a "Donkey". Although i had a full read on my opponent for this hand and was 100% confident i was ahead.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
woggy114 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.60
The_Don90 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.47
  Your hole cards

jumbo595 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £1.54
xCall  £0.04 £0.14 £1.85
pauliooo Call  £0.04 £0.18 £5.07
woggy114 Call  £0.02 £0.20 £3.58
The_Don90 Raise  £0.12 £0.32 £3.35
jumbo595 Call  £0.12 £0.44 £1.42
xCall  £0.12 £0.56 £1.73
pauliooo Fold     
woggy114 Call  £0.12 £0.68 £3.46
Flop

woggy114 Check     
The_Don90 Bet  £0.34 £1.02 £3.01
jumbo595 Fold     
xAll-in  £1.73 £2.75 £0.00
woggy114 Fold     
The_Don90 Call  £1.39 £4.14 £1.62
The_Don90 Show

xShow
  • A

Turn

• K

River

The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, 7s and 2s £3.83  £5.45
Incase anyone asks, i love 7,2 had a read on my opponent and was 100% sure i was ahead. The reads i had suggested he had either bottom pair or a draw of some sort. As a result i was confident in calling. I must admit against most "better players" i would usually fold.

Just woundering if anyone could comment on the play here, i know its actually poor.

Comments

• ybyb
    edited June 2010
    Erm don't play 7-2 at 2p/4p because so many players will call down light and usually the only way you will win with it is by bluffing someone off a hand.

Also if you really want to squeeze with that hand you should be raising a lot more preflop with the amount of limpers already in (maybe around a 24-28p raise at least).

As played, bet more on the flop and calling his shove is fair enough if you know him well enough to believe you're ahead of his range, but there is no way you can be 100% sure you are ahead imo.
  • edited June 2010
    hi don

heres the first things i noticed looking at this

these stakes there is no point trying to make plays with 7,2 imo

keep it abc and you will make a constant profit

with 4 limpers a 3x bet is never going to get rid of many players at these stakes

what hand ranges did you put him on to say you had him on bottom pair or a draw?

• edited June 2010
    the last point is made because i got a feeling your saying this just because of the flopped cards and what he actually had? i might be wrong just got the feeling on a few of your hands the reads have been a bit results based
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Ok im a poor poker player:
    Erm don't play 7-2 at 2p/4p because so many players will call down light and usually the only way you will win with it is by bluffing someone off a hand. Also if you really want to squeeze with that hand you should be raising a lot more preflop with the amount of limpers already in (maybe around a 24-28p raise at least). As played, bet more on the flop and calling his shove is fair enough if you know him well enough to believe you're ahead of his range, but there is no way you can be 100% sure you are ahead imo.
    Posted by yb
    The reason i was 100% sure i was ahead is he was flat calling his big hands, down to the river and then making his move. He was all in on the flop on either draws or bottom or middle pair. As a result i was confident i was ahead.
  • edited June 2010
    the last point is made because i got a feeling your saying this just because of the flopped cards and what he actually had? i might be wrong just got the feeling on a few of your hands the reads have been a bit results based
    Posted by robc
    Yea i was in the middle of posting that reply as you asked i think. I was still playing at the same time and had 3 big hands in a row so was trying to play them and typing between hands
  • edited June 2010

DON! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NO !!!

NO!

Why are u doing this?

Absolutely no need, especially when u are really struggling with bankroll!!

Plz never try anything like this ever again!
  • edited June 2010
    DON! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO !!! NO! Why are u doing this? Absolutely no need, especially when u are really struggling with bankroll!! Plz never try anything like this ever again!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Point taken, i regreted it almost as soon as i done it.

Although to be honest i had a fair idea of what everyone on the table was going to do, and i managed the win, although i shouldn't have, i am an idiot donkey and i deserve to be slapped.

I must also state DoHHHH ive taken you advice of the Max buy in's and its helped, id actually been whittled down on this table before finding my range and getting a read on my opponents i left this table with £14 after a 1 hour session. Happy with £10 for that hour just didnt have much energy to keep grinding off one loose player, although i feel now i should have, but one of my stronger opponents had been also taking money off him and was starting to fight with me and i was getting misreads so i felt it was the correct time to stand.
  • edited June 2010

The raise is fine if you are on a really tight table.

But as you got 3 callers pre flop once you had raised, this shows that you were not on a tight table (I dont think tight tables exist at 2/4)

So you managed to make 1/4 players fold....and you are stuck in a raised pot with the worst possible hand.

It doesnt matter how good yr reads are, you have such a bad hand, that you cannot possibly win the hand unless you hit the flop. Which as you know, only happens once every 3 hands.

Just keep it simple, get fancy when u can afford to play higher, as these types of squeeze plays start to work against better players.

Keep positing hands - they dont have to be big pots, small pots happen alot more often, so if you are playing those well you should be alright.
  • edited June 2010
    The raise is fine if you are on a really tight table. But as you got 3 callers pre flop once you had raised, this shows that you were not on a tight table (I dont think tight tables exist at 2/4) So you managed to make 1/4 players fold....and you are stuck in a raised pot with the worst possible hand. It doesnt matter how good yr reads are, you have such a bad hand, that you cannot possibly win the hand unless you hit the flop. Which as you know, only happens once every 3 hands. Just keep it simple, get fancy when u can afford to play higher, as these types of squeeze plays start to work against better players. Keep positing hands - they dont have to be big pots, small pots happen alot more often, so if you are playing those well you should be alright.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yea, thanks DoHHHHH ive cut this out of my game tonight and had a very sucessful session and back on the tables just now, slowly working my way up. If i can reach my daily target for today of finnishing at £40 ill be on either the NL8 or NL10 tomorrow. More likley NL10 as i prefer that.

Ill keep posting the hands, i feel im making alot of progress and am starting to spot the "lesser player" on thetable, something which i think is important on cash games.
  • edited June 2010

Dohhh

If you was going to make a squeeze on a table even if its tight would 3x be big enough?

This may be somewhere i might be going wrong because i would normally be looking to raise around 6x with 4 limpers? 
  • edited June 2010
    if you have to try and be a hero with 72, raise more pre, bet more on flop

you arent looking to see a flop let alone a multiway flop with this hand....
  • edited June 2010

Yeh ofc Rob - sorry I got so distracted with trying to put him off that sort of play - that I forgot to adress the bet size....

Everything lower down shud be bigger/stronger.

Ur right a 6x raise for a squeeze is the minimum - they will come along - I suggest only doing this with big hands.

PP's 22-99 it's probably easier to just limp and set mine, then bet strong if you hit to get paid - if you miss, easy fold. Dont get carried away with 88 on a 7 high board in a multi way pot, just pretend u have 3 high, and wait till you are sure ur ahead......

Sometimes I wish I was bak here, becuase it shud be pretty stress free - most of the time, if theres a decision, theres no decision. If ya no wat I mean...

Get the nuts and bet it!! :)

• edited June 2010
    good lol was just checking that i wasn't missing something really simple lol

Got a bit of a forum table going atm talon, don and oynutter on nl4 lol
  • edited June 2010
    Another quick one most of you guys seen it just a little confused about how it went wrong for 8 high to call the flop. Ok i played the turn and river poor (self admitting)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Talon Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.41
    robc Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.96
      Your hole cards

The_Don90 Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £5.88
    oynutter Fold     
    xCall  £0.16 £0.38 £0.61
    Talon Fold     
    robc Fold     
    Flop

• K

The_Don90 Bet  £0.19 £0.57 £5.69
    xCall  £0.19 £0.76 £0.42
    Turn

The_Don90 Check     
    xBet  £0.38 £1.14 £0.04
    The_Don90 Call  £0.38 £1.52 £5.31
    River

The_Don90 Bet  £0.04 £1.56 £5.27
    xAll-in  £0.04 £1.60 £0.00
    The_Don90Show

xShow

xWin Two Pairs, 6s and 2s £1.48  £1.48
  • edited June 2010
    bet more on flop 

c/f turn
  • edited June 2010
    Why would you want to raise OOP with 72 on a 2p/4p table that will call an all in pre with anything ? It's just not worth it imo. Play big hands and play them strongly.
  • edited June 2010
    Why would you want to raise OOP with 72 on a 2p/4p table that will call an all in pre with anything ? It's just not worth it imo. Play big hands and play them strongly.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I wanted to bluff the unbluffable. Could have been costly and i got epically lucky.
  • edited June 2010
    Don, I watched you playing and thought you were raising far too often to get any respect for your raises, raising is a tool used either to build the pot with a big hand, to thin the opposition, or to isolate a player--- If you raise too often, and get no respect for raising, it becomes a useless tool, and will only serve to multiply your variance at the table--- anyone with half a hand will call you because they have sussed your raising range is massive and want to take your chips, even your continuation bet will get no respect once they have seen you use it with air a few times.

imo-- the small stakes cash game is a game of patience and discipline,rewards tend to come consistently to players that wait till they are almost certainly ahead before betting big-- raising is a very useful tool, but it needs a bit of respect to be effective. Some good players do cultivate a loose image when they join a table, but on the small stakes tables, this strategy has no useful purpose, as you will get paid for your hands anyway--- I'm not saying you should be a total rock, just raise a bit less often, so the table thinks you have got a hand, that way your c bets are far more likely to be effective when you miss the flop.--- hope theres something there you can use--gl  oynutter
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks nutter, think im going to go back to tournaments for a while though, struggling to adapt my game and as a result im struggling to make profits consistantly.