You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pls comment on how I played this hand

Playing in an MTT.

Blinds are 150/300. I have 6200. About equal with two others on my table.

I have AQ suited in BB.

All fold to button who raises to 800, SB calls.

I see an opening to get 2000 for free and increase my stack by one third so I push all-in. I have both covered, but button by only 600.

Button calls and shows A10.

Flop is 10, 8, 2 and the rest shows no Q.

Next hand I was out. My aces on flop beaten by set of jacks.

Was it wise to effectively put my whole tourney on the line with this play? I would'nt have called an all-in but didn't expect anyone to call with such a strong move unless they were holding a monster.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    NOPE,, the way to play is to raise or call a raise. See the flop before your next decision..  the button could of had a genuine hand n trying to milk it..

BTW,, i don't mean to call with AA,, KK etc..  u'd use your own judgement..

Lee ,,
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Pls comment on how I played this hand:
    NOPE,, the way to play is to raise or call a raise. See the flop before your next decision..  the button could of had a genuine hand n trying to milk it.. BTW,, i don't mean to call with AA,, KK etc..  u'd use your own judgement.. Lee ,,
    Posted by IrishWOLF
    This is wrong, he only has 20bb left so even a small raise here would have put 1/3 of his stack in the middle and if he misses the flop then what? I don't like calling either cos if u miss then u pretty much have to give up or committ ur stack on a bluff. Plus by shoving you give yourself two ways to win the hand. You played it perfectly, you got ur money in as a big favourite and got sucked out on.
  • edited August 2009
    Part of my thinking was also that it may just have been a stock button raise, I discounted the SB call as he appeared to be a bit of a station and he only had 3k anyways.

I didn't like to call as I would be facing two players post flop.
  • edited August 2009
    IMO, your decision was the correct one....I cannot imagine any accomplished MTT players playing this in any other way.

If it means anything I would have done the same thing.

There are rare conditions where I may have not;

1) This guy has failed to raise the last 3 buttons when passed to him and in fact has done very little (if any) raising.
    2) The SB is notorious for slow playing big hands

Even with these conditions - I think it would be a BIG mistake to do anything but Reraise all in.

• edited August 2009
    IMO, your decision was the correct one....I cannot imagine any accomplished MTT players playing this in any other way. If it means anything I would have done the same thing. There are rare conditions where I may have not; 1) This guy has failed to raise the last 3 buttons when passed to him and in fact has done very little (if any) raising. 2) The SB is notorious for slow playing big hands Even with these conditions - I think it would be a BIG mistake to do anything but Reraise all in.
    Posted by Mark_Banin
    Thats interesting.

He raised on the button a few times, and was in general raising an above average number of times.

The SB had been calling a few raises out of position and folded every time to a bet post flop, like I said I discounted him immediately.

Glad I made the right choice.

Checked on an online calculator and the A10 was only 23% to win. Ouch.

Thanks for comments guys.
  • edited August 2009
    IMO, your decision was the correct one..... 
    Posted by Mark_Banin
    As much as I applaud your analysis Mark, this is simply wrong. There is one objective in MTTs and one only - to at no point be left with no chips in front of you. That's it.
    What is scary in this scenario is not the button raise, but the call by the SB. What do you envisage he would be calling a raise with OOP?
    You recommend that our hero risk what amounts to his entire tournament when, if called, he is either a slight underdog (to a pocket pair) or a massive dog (to AA, KK, QQ or AK) (assuming he would only be called by AK or a pocket pair, the AT was a very loose call). There are better times to risk your entire tournament.
    What's wrong with the plain old boring call in this situation? Our hero would be getting 4/1 for his 500 and as second to act can then re-evaluate after seeing the flop (probably a shove/fold).

Phil Hellmuth gives an analysis of a very similar situation in one of his books, though that scenario is different as it involves the dreaded bubble.
  • edited August 2009

I think given the description of the opponent - very aggro raising the button a few times, we can believe the guy is doing it with anything.

This therefore dictates my move, which as the opening poster did, which is re raise all in, comfortably knowing he most likely has a worse hand (and probably, ace) then mine....

... and sure enough that guy did have a worse ace and sucked out.

If the guy hasn't been raising alot I think we can peel a flop off here comfortably knowing we would stil have 5200 left if we miss which is enough for 150/300 blinds.

It is true if the villain is a good player he is only calling an all in with premium here and maybe some lower PP, but given our opponent in this situation I'm taking the risk.

• edited August 2009

Yeah I wish the button player was better than he turned out to be.

Would have been a nice pot taken down for free.

• edited August 2009
    I think your shove was a good squeeze play to isolate and take down the hand there and then. With the button making that move with a massive range and the SB being a calling station neither action is scary at all. Calling is fine and folding if you miss the flop. But i did like the reraise all in, silly call by AT and you got your money in very good... thats all you can ask so just very unlucky.
  • edited August 2009
    AQo vs JJ is closer to 60 40 than 50 50... the term coin flip can be very deceptive.
    Posted by shuffle62
    Correct - it depends on Suit distribution, but 43%-57% is about right.

Which is not 50-50, but in terms of making odds-based decisions, it'll do for me - I can't put my Oppo on a hand to within 7%!
  • edited August 2009

I did'nt have AQ v JJ though guys ;) It was AQ v A10 ( 73-23 ).

I mentioned JJ re the hand after in which I lost my remaining 600 chips with aces on flop.