You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Top pair, top kicker OOP

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Dudeskin8 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.86
BAILEY32 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.27
  Your hole cards
  • A

Call  £0.04 £0.10 £5.44
J1MBOE Call  £0.04 £0.14 £5.40
bun53 All-in  £0.02 £0.16 £0.00
Dudeskin8 Call  £0.02 £0.18 £3.84
BAILEY32 Check     
Flop

Dudeskin8 Bet  £0.14 £0.32 £3.70
BAILEY32 Fold     
Raise  £0.28 £0.60 £5.16
J1MBOE Fold     
Dudeskin8
Before anyone starts, yes I know I limped with A9, the reason being it's a full limped pot so any raise will need to be somewhere near 35-40p to get a fold so I decided to limp along getting 8-1 preflop OOP.

On the flop I think I hav the best hand so make a 3/4 bet to see where I am. When the minraise comes I'm just realy confused and know calling is the worst option, raising will tell me where I am and folding just seems a little weak.

The player who made the raise hadn't been limping that much and seemed to open with a raise more often than not, he also came accross as a player who knows I'm not just a playing bingo like the rest so might have been testing me.

So what's the best move?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Without reads on the player you can just fold here, with reads on what hand strengths he min raises then you can bet call to continue.
  • edited June 2010
    did you win or loose (sorry...couldn't resist! lol)
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Top pair, top kicker OOP:
    did you win or loose (sorry...couldn't resist! lol)
    Posted by BananaDog
    LOL !
  • edited June 2010
    firstly , raise or fold pre but you know that....dont say u had odds to limp etc etc , you raise this to thin the field and get some ranges of what people have else you have no clue once it gets ot the flop

on the flop your bet out is fine but snap fold to any action, he could have any 2 cards here, at best you are flipping against a sd/fd kinda hand. more likely he has some kinda 2p/set and has you crushed or drawing thin

there isnt really a turn card you will like and ur oop so you will always have to check the turn and if you call turn are gonna call a brick river too and do your whole stack with tp after a 5 way pot on a straighty/flushy board? i dont think so....

as beaneh says without any reads you fold, if you know for sure he plays his fd/pair/sd combos like this then call and re-evaluate dpending what cards come