You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Right people this is serious

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
I have been playing poker on and off for 3 to 4years now, i love the game and hope to oneday make a small amount each and every week say like £100 a week then maybe play higher up ( Its my little dream please do not mock).
A few days ago i said i was done for abit with poker online and going to concentrate on other things in life. But hears the the thing I hate to give up and all I wanna do is suceed in this online poker world, I suffer from tilt ALOT I mean if I drop say 5 6 pounds I will straight away move up the levels to try and get my money back and this happens trime and time again.
At the end of this I go bust all the time I know I shouldnt play like that but just cant help it, ive never been the one to do the grind at low low levels like 2p/4p, again I know I should and I know this is the right thing to do if I ever want to move up and be able to take loosing a buyin!
Soo I come to you forum to really try and help me out, ive got a spreadsheet now set up on my pc with dates times buyins blinds funds at start funds after I cash out im hoping this will help into reading more into my game. i will be making a deposit of £40 on sunday which I think is the right roll for 2p/4p if im wrong then please tell me! I really want to be good at this game as I love it soooo much its been my life over the past 4 5 months and I do not want to fall out with it.
So please please any adive no matter how short or long I would love to know.
Thank-you guys and girls

Mr Root_Kunal

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I would say £80 would be better.
    You could easily have a -10 buy in down swing below EV just running bad. Im currently 12 buy ins below EV over the last 5 days :D
  • edited June 2010
    Firstly what i will say is there are far better players on here to take advice from and i am sure they will post on here. I think you have done the right thing by coming to the forum! How do you rate your play? What i find is without being big headed playing 2p4p is too difficult because i am better than tthe table. I just find everyone calls you know matter what and its more of a game of luck! What a few people have told me that is key on the lower stakes game is to be patient! Always consider your starting hands and position! Another thing i would suggest is try to build your bankroll playing the smaller stakes deepstacks and stuff? You get a lot of play and experience at the tables. Anther thing reading your post i would also take on board is DO NOT go hasing your losses as this just turns into gambling! You will start playing poor starting hands and you will inevatbily end up losing even more money and going bust! I know there is not much there and as i say more peopl will comment i am sure and may even disagree with what i have told you! 1 final piece of advice i would reccomend is reading some poker material - i find this an excellent way of learning, and even playing the freeroll tournys on here can often boost your roll! Either way good luck and please let me now how you get on!

Mick
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Right people this is serious:
    Firstly what i will say is there are far better players on here to take advice from and i am sure they will post on here. I think you have done the right thing by coming to the forum! How do you rate your play? What i find is without being big headed playing 2p4p is too difficult because i am better than tthe table. I just find everyone calls you know matter what and its more of a game of luck! What a few people have told me that is key on the lower stakes game is to be patient! Always consider your starting hands and position! Another thing i would suggest is try to build your bankroll playing the smaller stakes deepstacks and stuff? You get a lot of play and experience at the tables. Anther thing reading your post i would also take on board is DO NOT go hasing your losses as this just turns into gambling! You will start playing poor starting hands and you will inevatbily end up losing even more money and going bust! I know there is not much there and as i say more peopl will comment i am sure and may even disagree with what i have told you! 1 final piece of advice i would reccomend is reading some poker material - i find this an excellent way of learning, and even playing the freeroll tournys on here can often boost your roll! Either way good luck and please let me now how you get on! Mick
    Posted by mickgreen
    Thanks Mickgreen for your imput I will take what u have said on bord. I am better then 2p/4p too I know this as I know my abilty in the game is good and have been playing online since I was about 19 years old now I am 25, I did have a 2year biiiiig break though inbetween when I just couldnt play a hand.
    I feel one of my big problems is not being able to fold and not believe what other players have even when there betting to tell me they have like 2 pair I just cant fold. I know good poker players know when to fold and  no when there beat.
    Mybe im not as good as I think I am, just at a really loose end at the mo dnt really know what to do. Ive wanted to do a post like this for aggggges  but didnt have the guts to , do not know why though maybe it was coz im addmiting to be bad.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Right people this is serious : Thanks Mickgreen for your imput I will take what u have said on bord. I am better then 2p/4p too I know this as I know my abilty in the game is good and have been playing online since I was about 19 years old now I am 25, I did have a 2year biiiiig break though inbetween when I just couldnt play a hand. I feel one of my big problems is not being able to fold and not believe what other players have even when there betting to tell me they have like 2 pair I just cant fold. I know good poker players know when to fold and  no when there beat. Mybe im not as good as I think I am, just at a really loose end at the mo dnt really know what to do. Ive wanted to do a post like this for aggggges  but didnt have the guts to , do not know why though maybe it was coz im addmiting to be bad.
    Posted by Root_Kunal
    You are not better than 4NL until you beat it.

£40 is fine to start with at 4NL.  I think 10BI is plenty for the first few levels.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Right people this is serious : You are not better than 4NL until you beat it. £40 is fine to start with at 4NL.  I think 10BI is plenty for the first few levels.
    Posted by Patching99
    I plan to get 10 buyins then move up so when I start 2/4p 40pounds then when i get to 4p/8p then 80 and so on. Thanks for the advice. oh during this grind I will be 3 tabling
  • edited June 2010
    10 buy ins aint enough!!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Right people this is serious:
    I have been playing poker on and off for 3 to 4years now, i love the game and hope to oneday make a small amount each and every week say like £100 a week then maybe play higher up ( Its my little dream please do not mock). A few days ago i said i was done for abit with poker online and going to concentrate on other things in life. But hears the the thing I hate to give up and all I wanna do is suceed in this online poker world, I suffer from tilt ALOT I mean if I drop say 5 6 pounds I will straight away move up the levels to try and get my money back and this happens trime and time again. At the end of this I go bust all the time I know I shouldnt play like that but just cant help it, ive never been the one to do the grind at low low levels like 2p/4p, again I know I should and I know this is the right thing to do if I ever want to move up and be able to take loosing a buyin! Soo I come to you forum to really try and help me out, ive got a spreadsheet now set up on my pc with dates times buyins blinds funds at start funds after I cash out im hoping this will help into reading more into my game. i will be making a deposit of £40 on sunday which I think is the right roll for 2p/4p if im wrong then please tell me! I really want to be good at this game as I love it soooo much its been my life over the past 4 5 months and I do not want to fall out with it. So please please any adive no matter how short or long I would love to know. Thank-you guys and girls Mr Root_Kunal
    Posted by Root_Kunal
    Personally I think you need at least £80 m8 - 20BI's but alas £40 will do but you need to be carefull when encountering coolers etc. You said in another post that you will move up to nl8 once you get £80 BR, just be carefull that you don't move up to quick - I know the temptation is always there to move up because this may increase your BR further - but just remember it may decrease your BR further as well. If you are playing well at nl4 then stay there for a while m8 until you build your BR to over £100, have a few shots at nl8 by all means - set a couple of BI's aside but don't leave your roots at nl4 until your ready m8. It's better to move up slowly than move up to quickly and bust yourself and having to drop down again.

As for tilting, this is hard not to do at times but you have to at times just switch off and do something totally different incase you tilt some more off, yes you will be down but in poker there are times when you have to grind, it isn't all glamorous so be prepared to do that. My advice to you is that if during a session you lose 2 BI's then log off straight away rather than go chasing - begin the next day again and get it back when your fresh and not on tilt - Rome wasn't built in a day and all that m8!!

I wish you all the best and just remember that in the Poker Clinic there are players there willing to give advice - any tricky situations etc or any proplems you encounter post and let people help you!! Very best of luck m8 :)

• edited June 2010
    I agree with mickgreen about the deep stacks, here you will have to learn patience and discipline, its the kind of game that transfers best to the low stakes cash games--more later tournie on--gl
  • edited June 2010
    ^^wow thnaks alot thats really helped^^

I feel I do move upto way to quick usally win a couple of buyins then think im phil ivey!! It doesnt work. maybe I need to see the facts that im going to have to grind it out like everyone else.
    Keep the advice coming please I will also be posting update from sunday night onwards.
  • edited June 2010
    if you only have £40 to start then that will have to do, i have recently become a mayjor bankroll nit after running bad at 100nl, i then tried 200nl with 50 buyins.
    I am now sticking to the 50 buyin rule and will never ever go outside it.
    its possible to get ur money in ahead 10+ times and lose all of em (that means ur bust).
    you need to think long term, dont try and move up after a week just coz ur roll says so, we can all run good for short periods of time, at 4nl try and work out how many hands you have played if your winning after 50k hands then move up. 
    A good winning player can still lose over 50k+ hands, so dont take it to heart if and when you run bad coz it will happen in the end and with 10 buyin or using a 10 buyin roll rule you will go skint in the end.
    playing 100nl i have had many sessions where i have finished at least -7 buyin in one session.
  • edited June 2010
    if you only have £40 to start then that will have to do, i have recently become a mayjor bankroll nit after running bad at 100nl, i then tried 200nl with 50 buyins. I am now sticking to the 50 buyin rule and will never ever go outside it. its possible to get ur money in ahead 10+ times and lose all of em (that means ur bust). you need to think long term, dont try and move up after a week just coz ur roll says so, we can all run good for short periods of time, at 4nl try and work out how many hands you have played if your winning after 50k hands then move up.  A good winning player can still lose over 50k+ hands, so dont take it to heart if and when you run bad coz it will happen in the end and with 10 buyin or using a 10 buyin roll rule you will go skint in the end. playing 100nl i have had many sessions where i have finished at least -7 buyin in one session.
    Posted by freechips1
    £40 is all im willing to put on if I teach myself I can stick to my rules then ill top up. but 40 is all im willing to loose before i go on a masive break again. i want to keep playing so I will try my hardest not to bust, i mite try a few DYMs £1 ago till I get to 50 then hit nl4. whoooo knowsz how this will pan out ill probaly be broke come monday afternoon lol.
  • edited June 2010
    dont do DYM low stakes the rake is a killer, you will never beat the rake.
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by freechips1

;) yeah just relised this after looking. defo no no
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by freechips1
    of course you can beat the rake. the players are so bad it's difficult not to cash.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Right people this is serious : You are not better than 4NL until you beat it. £40 is fine to start with at 4NL.  I think 10BI is plenty for the first few levels.
    Posted by Patching99
    Correct !!!

Its hard, boring but its the only way
  • edited June 2010
    Thing is Kunal, although there is plenty of advice about approaching cash games, I really think beginners are better off starting on 2.20 buy in deep stacks

firstly, you can only lose 2.20 every few hours

second, the experience you will gain will be the best possible start to your poker life

thirdly, deep stack play is easy to transfer to the low stakes cash tables

The 2.30 bounty hunters are also worth a try, once you have a good game and have made a lot of notes on players

The evening deep stacks with at least 5 places paid are great value, a solid player that concentrates and learns how to play "spot da loonie" will do well in these

My roi in tournies is 32%--- It was 38%, but I messed around with my game, thinking I was too tight-- bad move--- back to basics--- getting better again now---- so you can do ok in these, and once you have a decent roll and the experience, you can go for the bigger ones, where the potential return is a whoppa!!
  • edited June 2010
    ps--brag alert--just won a bounty hunter with 96 runners!!--came second in the same one yesterday--built a solid image till the blinds were big--then--- in with the redcurrants!!!--lol-- so it can be done--can afford to "take on tikay" tommorrow --gl-- whichever way you decide to go--- but remember--- In a tournament, you know exactly how much you stand to lose--- unless it's a rebuy, but the less said about those, the better!!--floppa whoppa!!
  • edited June 2010
          its normal to get ur money in ahead 10+ times and lose all of em   
    FYP
  • edited June 2010
    also, from my nl4 experience, it is more profitable than nl10,
  • edited June 2010
    ps--brag alert--just won a bounty hunter with 96 runners!!--came second in the same one yesterday--built a solid image till the blinds were big--then--- in with the redcurrants!!!--lol-- so it can be done--can afford to "take on tikay" tommorrow --gl-- whichever way you decide to go--- but remember--- In a tournament, you know exactly how much you stand to lose--- unless it's a rebuy, but the less said about those, the better!!--floppa whoppa!!
    Posted by oynutter
    I agree least eveyone starts level and I know how much im going to loose its a controled way to play right?I think im better in tounry anyway so ill give that a bash see how it goes. cheers.
  • edited June 2010
    What are your thoughts of me playing 2 3 tables at a time. I can do it and I love action as I hate waiting around. But bare in mind my 40 roll
  • edited June 2010
    Can't do it myself m8, but I'm sure two would be fine-- would be hard to concentrate on the opposition with three though. A deep stack and a bounty hunter should be ok, but you do need full concentration when you get to final table--gl at the tables--- don't forget the t-o-t on mondat night--great value for two quid--flopp whoppa!!
  • edited June 2010
    Can't do it myself m8, but I'm sure two would be fine-- would be hard to concentrate on the opposition with three though. A deep stack and a bounty hunter should be ok, but you do need full concentration when you get to final table--gl at the tables--- don't forget the t-o-t on mondat night--great value for two quid--flopp whoppa!!
    Posted by oynutter
    Cheers mate will bare that in mind. £2 sounds very good and it wont be outta my roll haha
  • edited June 2010
    Hiya Kunal I've recently started doing something similar to what your going to do. I only began with £17.09 though which was my total profit from my last bash at 4NL before it started going down hill. This time I set out with a mindset of playing good solid ABC poker and trying to stay focused.

Something that helped me quite a bit when I started and still do now to a degree is when I lose say £1-2 through some bad play from my opponant that gets lucky I instantly log off and get myself AWAY from the game completely. This is obviously a bad idea when playing poor players as you need to play them to win but I feel once I get just a little bit angry I start bleeding cash through loose calls preflop and postflop.

I'm now up to £46.36 so feel a bit more comfortable but still need to get over £80 before i can even think about being safe. I'd also totally agree with oynutter on the deepstacks these are great tournements that let you learn the game with the hope of a big reward at the end.

Good luck with ya journey mate, and don't try and rush it ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Hiya Kunal I've recently started doing something similar to what your going to do. I only began with £17.09 though which was my total profit from my last bash at 4NL before it started going down hill. This time I set out with a mindset of playing good solid ABC poker and trying to stay focused. Something that helped me quite a bit when I started and still do now to a degree is when I lose say £1-2 through some bad play from my opponant that gets lucky I instantly log off and get myself AWAY from the game completely. This is obviously a bad idea when playing poor players as you need to play them to win but I feel once I get just a little bit angry I start bleeding cash through loose calls preflop and postflop. I'm now up to £46.36 so feel a bit more comfortable but still need to get over £80 before i can even think about being safe. I'd also totally agree with oynutter on the deepstacks these are great tournements that let you learn the game with the hope of a big reward at the end. Good luck with ya journey mate, and don't try and rush it ;)
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Thanks soo much for ur anvice its really hellping me get in the right frame of mind and im buzzing to play now  and play well!
    The part I have have put in bold is the worst thing I alwaysz do try play up high limits to live the dream like Mr dwan, I know this will not happen as im not a lucky SOB!!!. So plugging away is good thing and just gunna enjoy it as I have said before I love the game and wanna keep my roll so I do not have to quit. i will be posting day to day updates after sunday.
  • edited June 2010
    learn to beat 1 table before you add more tables imo.