You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Line check with top pair

ybyb
edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I have just joined the table and have no reads on the villain at all:
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
starfox Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £64.20
plywood Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £258.38
  Your hole cards
  • K

yb Raise   £4.00 £5.50 £92.50
TheSwan Fold        
pocketsaa Fold        
Dandax Fold        
starfox Call   £3.50 £9.00 £60.70
plywood Fold        
Flop

• Q
  • K

starfox Bet   £4.50 £13.50 £56.20
yb Call   £4.50 £18.00 £88.00
Turn

starfox Bet   £9.00 £27.00 £47.20
yb Call   £9.00 £36.00 £79.00
River

starfox Check        
yb Bet   £18.00 £54.00 £61.00
Should I have raised on the flop or the turn? I didn't really see the value in doing that at the time as I couldn't see the hands that would continue against a raise that I could beat (apart from J-10). And what do you think of the value bet on the end...I tried to make it small enough to get called by a Q.

Comments

• edited June 2010

Tbh I like the way you played it, with no reads on the villain there is no need to go mad here, great example of pot control and not going mad with Top pair. You have got to think your top pair is good here but caution is the best tactic with no reads imo. The river bet I think is fine - half pot is plenty and maybe you could have considered £12-£14 as I have seen been done at times but for me half pot is spot on if making a value bet.

There are times where I would even consider a check on the river tbh just in case the villain is preparing a check - raise, rather nitty maybe but at times caution is the best way when entering a new table v players I have no reads on. It is also nice to check behind in order to find out what they are calling with oop just in case they check fold.

• edited June 2010
    I don't think there's much wrong with your line on the flop and turn.  As you've just joined the table and you don't have any reads I think top pair/average kicker is fine to call down with on that board without getting all excited.  I would only mildly question your raise UTG with KTs as you have just joined the table but I can see pros to it as well.  I don't particularly like the V-Bet on the end.  You beat AQ, QJ and may get calls of off them on the end when they turn their hand into a bluff catcher.  KJ is your nightmare hand to be against and may call your bet (but may fold, villain dependant).  I would sacrifice a little value here just to get an idea of the hand the villain has to take this line with me.  Put it this way, my notes will be open on the guy before I click check.

In conclusion, I can understand the V-Bet but I would want a little information about the villain as so much could fold here.  The rest is fine.
  • edited June 2010
    As Ive stated before, Im starting to try to find spots for value so I am always learning.  I may be wrong but I dont think I would vb that river.  It wouldnt even be that I was so scared of the cr.  He may be holding a hand like KJ, or even AK and he has played it passively preflop.  Your 2 calls look strong to him now, so maybe he just wants to check call rather than bet out himself and hate himself when you raise.

Plz feel free to slate my logic as Im tryin to get to grips with this `extracting value` thingy, but cant see it in this spot.
  • ybyb
    edited June 2010
    Cheers for the replies guys. Like you mahony, I'm still learning to find spots to extract extra value as I used to nearly always c/c most rivers unless I was sure I was infront for fear of opening the betting again. I didn't think he had AK as most players (even the more passive ones) will 3 bet this and also if he did decide to lead out on the flop with TPTK I think his betting would have been stronger. Based on the donk bet and the strength of bets I had him on either a monster, a very marginal holding (with KJ being the very top of this range but even then I think his betting would be stronger with this) or J-10.

After he checked the river I discounted the monster, so I thought I would bet for value against a range that would include most Kx and Qx type hands (obviously if he calls and shows K-J I hate myself). Fwiw I thought his calling range pre-flop might be wide as he hadn't bought in full.
  • edited June 2010
  • edited June 2010
    just curious, if he bet/shoves the river instead of checking do you make the call? ... reading some of the comments people say you played the hand correct and i do like the value bet on the river after seein the check, but if i was playin the hand i would have probably called the flop, and raised the turn to about £25. I like this hand because i know i would have played it differently, so just wondered what people think of raising the turn?
  • ybyb
    edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Line check with top pair:
    just curious, if he bet/shoves the river instead of checking do you make the call? ... reading some of the comments people say you played the hand correct and i do like the value bet on the river after seein the check, but if i was playin the hand i would have probably called the flop, and raised the turn to about £25. I like this hand because i know i would have played it differently, so just wondered what people think of raising the turn?
    Posted by Eagle26
    But if we raise on the turn what hands are we getting value from? Surely flatting the flop then raising the turn looks so strong that we should only ever get called by hands that beat us? Fwiw if you did want to raise I think raising on the flop is a lot better because the raise will be smaller at that stage and there is a lot more chance of him continuing with some hands that we can beat. But overall calling /> raising flop > raising turn imo.

If he bets half pot again on the river I call, but anything much more than that I'm probably leading towards a fold...definitely fold readless if he shoves because he still has a decent sized stack behind.
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by Eagle26

what does a turn raise achieve?
  • edited June 2010
    turn raise is lol
  • edited June 2010

turn raise is lol
    Posted by zing
    not too long ago dohhhhhhh started a thread asking people of all levels and abilitys to post more in the clinic. reponses like that and arrogance (quite surprising as your only a 50nl player--not phil ivey) are exactly the reason many players don't post things in this area.
    ok so i know **** all about poker, ill admit that. but rather than responding like this to my question why not tell me why im wrong and maybe offer advice??
  • edited June 2010
    my reason i would probably raise turn (OBVIOUSLY ARE WRONG) is this .....
    raise utg. call the flop. raise turn = looks super strong. why call all the way down the streets with a hand which by the river may be losing? if the guy is holding KJ and he bets every street and you call youve lost the pot. if he is holding J/10 and he bets all the streets and u call and he completes on the river you have lost (obviously no straights were completed in this hand) but you wasnt to know the river card at the time.
    a raise on the flop/turn (i choose turn for this hand) makes your hand look alot stronger than what it is and you could make the better hand fold and you are also not letting the villian see all 5 cards cheaply if he is on a draw, you are also not letting the pot spiral out of control because you only flatted the flop. if your beat a raise on the turn will evoke a reaction if its a positive reaction from the villian then obviously you can let the hand go. for the same price as it would have cost ya if you called turn called river if he bet. you will have a much better idea of where you are. the last thing i would want in this hand, is for a hand like J/10 to complete on the river and you let him get there cheaply. I know about pot control and all that, but i dont see much difference money wise raising the turn and acting accordingly (or winning the pot!) to calling all the way down. and the reason i choose to turn to raise rather than flop is because it looks alot stronger imo.
    if the hand is KJ and you called all the way down would people still say this is correct play? if the hand is J/10 and you call all the way down and lets say he hits on the river would people still say this is the correct play? ... it looks good because the guy gives up on the river and you make a excellent value bet imo. im just curious because obviously im not the greatest player in the world so if im wrong (which like ive said i know i am!) i would like to know why im wrong! im not writing this telling you u played it wrong because im no-where near qualified too im writing this to learn/improve my game.
    i just really cant be doing with arrogant replys from ppl who think they are sooooo much better than what they actually are!, by all means criticise me and tell me im wrong, but a response like 'RAISE TURN IS LOL' how is that helping anybody???
  • edited June 2010
    ok, he has a 60bb stack so he's not the best player in the world, or maybe he is but hes just not aware of it yet!

if you raise the turn with KT you are turning you're hand into a bluff, turning made hands into bluffs is fine and on the right boards vs thinking players works very well, the problem comes when you are trying to make villain fold TP2K or better for 60bbs, who we have a fairly solid idea that he probably isnt that great, it just simply doesnt happen unless his mouse dies before he can click call.

also in this case if you make it £25 on the turn and villain shoves you will be getting atleast 3:1 the remaining £30. you should fold but i imagine most people would talk themselves into calling by saying he has JT.

the point about him having JT and you 'protect' your hand does make sense, but there are 44 unknown cards (we soulread him for JT at this point) with only 8 of them improving his hand so 36 do not. as he's chosen to lead out twice with an OESD i think there's a pretty good chance he will bet the river when he misses also.

you made the point about raising the turn vs calling all the way down, but we dont have to call every river card for any price, if villain makes a big bet on the river we can quite safely fold with no reads and if the river is a blank (like in the actual hand) then calling another half pot bet when hands like AJ,AT,JT all miss.

betting river small is best when checked to although i wouldnt be too surprised for villain to either jam (66,KQ) or call (AK,KJ,AA,67?) but if you bet small enough stuff like Kxs,AQ,QJ will pay you off (although it is a bit rubbish that the board runs out how it does as im sure he can have K7s,K8s)
  • edited June 2010
    turn raise is lol
    Posted by zing

read this as ...

In Response to Re: Line check with top pair:
    In Response to Re: Line check with top pair : what does a turn raise achieve?
    Posted by beaneh

then read fishies (lolraise) and compare that to what you said, what hands you thought would continue and why and you'll see why the turn raise seems so 'lol'
  • edited June 2010
    ill read it how i wanna read it, the reply is totally arrogant. Beaneh u have helped me alot lately privately and i thank you for that, but if im posting a question/opinion whatever what good does a reply like 'turn raise is lol' achieve? absolutly nothing. but whatever, i aint gonna be losing any sleep over it. the guy just copys everything you say most of the time anyway! but forget it, guess im just as bad for reacting.,
    as for the hand itself i was fully aware when posting my reasons that i was wrong and i stated it numerous times in my post, but i posted it to get replys that would help/improve me (and others) the reply from LOL RAISE is spot on, and was the type of thing i was looking for. 
  • edited June 2010
    ill read it how i wanna read it, the reply is totally arrogant. Beaneh u have helped me alot lately privately and i thank you for that, but if im posting a question/opinion whatever what good does a reply like 'turn raise is lol' achieve? absolutly nothing. but whatever, i aint gonna be losing any sleep over it. the guy just copys everything you say most of the time anyway! but forget it, guess im just as bad for reacting., as for the hand itself i was fully aware when posting my reasons that i was wrong and i stated it numerous times in my post, but i posted it to get replys that would help/improve me (and others) the reply from LOL RAISE is spot on, and was the type of thing i was looking for. 
    Posted by Eagle26

being wrong doesn't matter sh it. just learning from your mistakes does. 

lynx has made a good point, honestly there really is no reason to raise the turn ever against anyone really. lols response is good and explains most of it, but basically when you read lynxs post that's what he means.  There are lots of people who post like this with one liners that sound rude, I am one of them. pm me again if you want to discuss it more. :)
  • edited June 2010
    the reason why alot of people reply with one-liners is because it is counter intuitive to help people get better when you make money by them making mistakes, also it can actually help you learn if you think "xxx is a good poster/poker player, he suggest that we should do x instead of y,  why is this"
  • edited June 2010
    looks fine to me

and eagle dont take it to heart this forum is tamer than any other in the world
  • edited June 2010
    1 liner responses can be used to provoke questions so that you work out what you should do and why rather than being told what to do.