You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad river card, continue to bet?

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Villain has been busy over a small sample size, no previous history.

Very aggressive, especially post flop, and has shown down 1 total bluff.

His lack of aggression in this hand, led me to believe he was drawing, either to the nut flush, or the full house.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DOHHHHHHH Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £123.94
braz Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £9.12
  Your hole cards
  • Q

-v- Fold     
xxx Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £51.70
Ivan666 Fold     
LoreGiver Call  £1.50 £3.75 £49.05
DOHHHHHHH Call  £1.25 £5.00 £122.69
braz Fold     
Flop

• J

DOHHHHHHH Check     
xxx Bet  £3.75 £8.75 £47.95
LoreGiver Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £8.50 £17.25 £114.19
xxx Call  £4.75 £22.00 £43.20
Turn

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £14.50 £36.50 £99.69
xxx Call  £14.50 £51.00 £28.70
River

• K

DOHHHHHHH ???  

Comments

• edited June 2010
    ALL IN!!!!!! (but then again i lose! lol)
  • edited June 2010

First of all, what was your thinking of calling oop? Were you making a stance and calling wider etc?

Sounds like with your read that he is drawing, you probably know he is drawing on the flop so I would make my turn bet bigger. I know you make the turn bet in order to entice the call probably but surely if he is on the draw and being a bit busy he will surely pay pff a pot bet etc, obviously the river card is a horrible card but your decision here will have been easier had you built the pot on the turn. If you put him on a draw then you must check fold probably but tbh im losing my chips here and would possibly check in order to pray he puts a half pot bet instead of an all in - what ever the outcome im losing my money with the 2nd nuts here m8.

• edited June 2010

If you bet you only really get called by the Ac but with that amount in the middle relative to his stack size I would call a bet from him. I'd c/c the river and hopefully he turns a set/2 pair into a bluff and you can snap it off. If he turns over the Ac then fair enough.

I'm interested to hear what others would do though.

• edited June 2010

Thanx for the early replies, before anyone else answers, I am 100% never folding to a shove....

Does that make a check wrong??? - Or am I more likely to get money by givig him the rope most times?

If he has a set, he will still believe he has showdown value? - so check behind when he may call a bet?

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Bad river card, continue to bet?:
    Thanx for the early replies, before anyone else answers, I am 100% never folding to a shove.... Does that make a check wrong??? - Or am I more likely to get money by givig him the rope most times? If he has a set, he will still believe he has showdown value? - so check behind when he may call a bet?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    If he ever has a set then surely he folds anyway with 4 to the flush there - I don't understand his logic if he has a set though, if he is willing to get it in on the river then he may as well get it all in on the flop.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Bad river card, continue to bet?:
    Thanx for the early replies, before anyone else answers, I am 100% never folding to a shove.... Does that make a check wrong??? - Or am I more likely to get money by givig him the rope most times? If he has a set, he will still believe he has showdown value? - so check behind when he may call a bet?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Quite the contrary.  If you are completely committed to calling to a shove, check here all the time and give him the chance to turn a made hand into a bluff or continue bluffing.
  • edited June 2010
    bet more on turn, he has so little back I just stick him in. deeper stacked you could b/f c/c or c/f lol
  • edited June 2010
    he has £28 back and £51 is in the pot, make it £19 on turn and put him all in on river, he might call with 2 pair or a set or smaller flush but if you check he also checks all these hands behind.
  • edited June 2010
     bet bigger on flop  stick him in on the turn, if he was that aggro he would 4 bet flop with nut draw? if he has op or set 4th club kills your action id be looking to get it in asap
  • edited June 2010
    def bet more turn.

river i just put it in.  if he has the A so be it.  but randoms can and do call with worse flushes/2prs/sets on these kinda boards.

if he had more then 45 or so then a b/f c/c might be better but as he has so little theres no point.  can't really see the point of checking to induce with him having only 28 back as i cant see what he will shove with thats worse, and i think its unlikely a random is gonna turn a hand like KJhh into a bluff here.