You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hello again cash! Mwhaaa!

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
oh...who put that dam "bye bye cash" post up! Must have been a defeatists imposter!!!

It's a difficult decision for me for the simple fact that i make money on DYM's and I also get between £50 - £100 cash for points and £25-£75 for league points each month the last 3 months.....

..but I feel that I really should be able to get the hang of cash, yesterday the DYM's felt like RR's and I just want more out of my game and to learn more skills.
I'm not sure what level I should be on in relation to my bankroll but I've decided even if I can play slightly higher it's probably a good idea for me to stick with 2p/4p until I learn some self-control as I can be a tad bit over aggressive at times! lol
Hopefully sticking at this lower level will help me to get into the swing of it and start to eliminate some of my bad habits.
I'm also gonna play 3 tables (with full stacks) so I'm not tempted to play hands I shouldn't be playing!

After playing TK's £2 tourney on Monday I had soooooooo much fun that I really can't find the enjoyment of playing 30 DYM's a day and relying on my cash for points to help my bankroll each month so...CASH (I'm ready!) and maybe a tourney here and there.

After all in the wise words of that guy in that movie where he runs around in a skirt with blue make-up (Oh...what's it called? You know the one!)
"YOU CAN TAKE MY BANKROLL...BUT YOU CAN NEVER TAKE MY FREEDOM!!!!!"

Comments

• edited June 2010
    right I know what I'm doing wrong and have corrected myself accordingly! lol
    I played for about an hour and half and have come off 3x 2p/4p tables £7 up so I'm getting there!
    :o)
  • edited June 2010
    Banana Dog - What were you doing wrong?

Share the knowledge =)
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Hello again cash! Mwhaaa!:
    Banana Dog - What were you doing wrong? Share the knowledge =)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    okey dokey Dohhhhhhh - basically i wasn't controling pot sizes as I was pushing too much.
    Also if for instance I was in with a AJ suited knowing that I'm looking for a flush or straight I was getting sidetracked...so I would say miss the flush, miss the straight but because I had hit the A I would call a bet without odds anyway and at the end of the day 1 pair is just not enough.

I was just playing on a table with Don a min ago and I lost my stack with an A high flush to a full house...but I had the same thing on the other table and i folded my flush as I thought the guy had hit the full house.
    So when I hit this one I shouted to my hubby "look I got the nut flush...." and as I bet and re-raise etc until all in I said to my hubby "he could have the full house though...." but because my hubby was looking at the screen from other side of the sofa he hadn't noticed the full house possibility.
    After I lost my stack he asked if I would have just flat called it instead of going all in like he told me and i said yeah cos I had finally managed to notice these danger hands....but it was my fault for not doing my own thing and hubby felt bad cos he told me to go all in.
    At the end of the day though i don't care I lost a few quid cos I feel like I'm taking a lot more notice of what people could be in with and can put them on hands more :)

...did any of that make sence at all Dohhhhh and Don?
  • edited June 2010
    Hey Dohhhhhhh,
    I hear your the king of the bankroll management!
    Can you let me know what levels i should be on for different amounts of money (If it's not too much hassle)
    I'm still sticking with the 2/4 until I have good habits and more advanced thinking but it will be handy to know for when I am ready to move... I have a £410 br at moment.

Thanks honeypoo xxxx
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Hello again cash! Mwhaaa! : okey dokey Dohhhhhhh - basically i wasn't controling pot sizes as I was pushing too much. Also if for instance I was in with a AJ suited knowing that I'm looking for a flush or straight I was getting sidetracked...so I would say miss the flush, miss the straight but because I had hit the A I would call a bet without odds anyway and at the end of the day 1 pair is just not enough. I was just playing on a table with Don a min ago and I lost my stack with an A high flush to a full house...but I had the same thing on the other table and i folded my flush as I thought the guy had hit the full house. So when I hit this one I shouted to my hubby "look I got the nut flush...." and as I bet and re-raise etc until all in I said to my hubby "he could have the full house though...." but because my hubby was looking at the screen from other side of the sofa he hadn't noticed the full house possibility. After I lost my stack he asked if I would have just flat called it instead of going all in like he told me and i said yeah cos I had finally managed to notice these danger hands....but it was my fault for not doing my own thing and hubby felt bad cos he told me to go all in. At the end of the day though i don't care I lost a few quid cos I feel like I'm taking a lot more notice of what people could be in with and can put them on hands more :) ...did any of that make sence at all Dohhhhh and Don?
    Posted by BananaDog

I watched that hand and for your opponent to even be in the hand was horrile. UTG had raised it, and he'd called with J6, so  idont see how you could have put him on that. Maybe a FH but the PP way but there had been no re-raise. Id have done the exact same Bananadog, infact im asure it was the same player who managed to tip my top pair twice to take my BR.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Hello again cash! Mwhaaa! : I watched that hand and for your opponent to even be in the hand was horrile. UTG had raised it, and he'd called with J6, so  idont see how you could have put him on that. Maybe a FH but the PP way but there had been no re-raise. Id have done the exact same Bananadog, infact im asure it was the same player who managed to tip my top pair twice to take my BR.
    Posted by The_Don90
    thanks Don, yeah to be honest I wouldnt really be able to put him on J6...i just noticed the possibility of a full house but hey ho these things happen! lol
    Very ul to loose the rest of your money to him Don, hopefully you'll get your cash in and I'll see you in the TKO tonight xxxx
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Hello again cash! Mwhaaa! : thanks Don, yeah to be honest I wouldnt really be able to put him on J6...i just noticed the possibility of a full house but hey ho these things happen! lol Very ul to loose the rest of your money to him Don, hopefully you'll get your cash in and I'll see you in the TKO tonight xxxx
    Posted by BananaDog
    Ive popped in a tenner the last tenner im putting into it for a month.

Entered the TKO leaving me with 4.50, as planned, if it doesnt go well back to 2p/4p for me, although i wont try get up the levels as quick as i used to.

Hopefully this tenner will last a while had a terrible time of late, hense the fact it will be the last i put in for a while.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Hello again cash! Mwhaaa! : Ive popped in a tenner the last tenner im putting into it for a month. Entered the TKO leaving me with 4.50, as planned, if it doesnt go well back to 2p/4p for me, although i wont try get up the levels as quick as i used to. Hopefully this tenner will last a while had a terrible time of late, hense the fact it will be the last i put in for a while.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Hiya Don, I don't wanna sound like a moaner but if you put £5.50 of £10 on T-o-T and don't cash then your left with just over 1 buy-in, hence one bad hand and your gone. You'd be much better off playing 2/4p at say £2 a go and see how it goes.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Hello again cash! Mwhaaa! : Hiya Don, I don't wanna sound like a moaner but if you put £5.50 of £10 on T-o-T and don't cash then your left with just over 1 buy-in, hence one bad hand and your gone. You'd be much better off playing 2/4p at say £2 a go and see how it goes.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    yea i know, but cash im playing terrible so really want another shot at a tournament, going to take it a little slower for a few days, take it as every pound counts and stand when in profit at any point, build back up slowly.
  • edited June 2010

Banana Dog - :) - smiley faces! :):):) lol - shall reply properly to u when im not playing...

But glancing thru the thread......DON!!!

T.O.T Starts in an hour - WHAT R U THINKING!!

Seriously - bankroll management in poker is as important as knowing the rules!!!

SORT IT OUT!!

Dudeskins reply + 1 thousand
  • edited June 2010
    well i finished the day only £10 down (that includes the £5.50 from the TOT tourney which I went out in 33rd in) so I'm dead happy! I reckon that £4.50 down is a good result as i have completely re-thought what I'm doing today and most of it was just that unlucky nut flush into the J6's full house guy...
    here's looking forwards to tomorrow...I'm feeling much more confident with my ability to notice the important things and to stop being too stubborn to put a hand down :o)
  • edited June 2010
    BRM is the single most important part about playing poker to win money, if you dont have a sufficient roll then you will go busto 100%. though £410 for 2p/4p is more than enough but if thats what you are comfortable playing atm then just continue to do that, you shouldnt move up just because you have X amount of buy ins for the next level, it should be when you are happy to play the next level AND can afford to
  • edited June 2010
    BRM is the single most important part about playing poker to win money, if you dont have a sufficient roll then you will go busto 100%. though £410 for 2p/4p is more than enough but if thats what you are comfortable playing atm then just continue to do that, you shouldnt move up just because you have X amount of buy ins for the next level, it should be when you are happy to play the next level AND can afford to
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Thanks LOL_RAISE, I'm on the 2/4p as I have no cash experience and tend to get too pushy when I think I'm ahead...I'm learning the basics on this level and then If I do ok (as far as knowing I can easily put hands down and not let pots get out of control) then I'll move to the next :o)
    It's great fun learning a new game! All i need to do now is not get carried away too fast :o)
  • edited June 2010
    ok played for under an hour cos it's all the time I have had today until tonight....had my nut flush run into a full house again but luckily i noticed the full house possibility with anyone playing a J3 and I check called at the end instead of my usual "smack em over the head with a brick" style, and I only lost the minimum :)
    Then I also had KK and hit the set on flop...got the lad all in with his 2 pair AK and he hit another A on last card which gave me KKKAA but him AAAKK (CRY!)
    Again I'm dead happy though cos I was ahead when the money went in so it's looking positive and I actually ended the session £4 up! WOOHOO!!!!!

• edited June 2010
    GL Banana, good thread, please keep us posted. The £5 DYMs are a bit softer without you there, as demonstrated by Rich Orford cashing in 5 in a row.

I've dipped my toes in the cash waters a few times but never enjoyed it much, I prefer the buzz of tournament situations, the thrill of coming first in a STT or MTT (even at low stakes) beats anything that happens on a cash table for me.
  • edited June 2010
    GL Banana, good thread, please keep us posted. The £5 DYMs are a bit softer without you there, as demonstrated by Rich Orford cashing in 5 in a row. I've dipped my toes in the cash waters a few times but never enjoyed it much, I prefer the buzz of tournament situations, the thrill of coming first in a STT or MTT (even at low stakes) beats anything that happens on a cash table for me.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Totally agree with this, although mainly on the MTT side for me. Besting the whole field and going to bed knowing you took it down is the ultimate high I can get from playing.
  • edited June 2010
    Hey Gary & Dude!...bet Orford is on cloud 9! lol
    I tried cash the other week but just couldn't do it and then when I was playing the £2 TOT I used a little cash knowledge in the earlier stages and managed to get 2nd place! WOOHOO!!!!
    Anyhoo...next day i just couldn't get back into the DYM's and thought I'd give cash another go...it has taken totally changing the way i play but I think in the long run it will be worth it (if I don't go broke first! lol)
    I always tell everyone "OH I HATE CASH & I CAN'T PLAY TOURNEYS!" but what do you know..I actually can! It just takes a lot of discipline for me not to get over aggressive :)

Just had a very odd second session of the day....I was on 3 tables and had raised someone when my doberman decides to start puking all over the kitchen and my golden retriever is threatening to walk through it!!!!
    i jumped off the sofa but when I got back I was sat out on every table and had lost the hands...stupid puking dog!!!!

I have just closed all 3 tables now thinking I was down a few quid but I was actually only down about 20p in the end! YEY!

Anyway....I hope you miss me on the DYMS! xxxxx
  • edited June 2010
    well i finished the day only £10 down (that includes the £5.50 from the TOT tourney which I went out in 33rd in) so I'm dead happy! I reckon that £4.50 down is a good result as i have completely re-thought what I'm doing today and most of it was just that unlucky nut flush into the J6's full house guy... here's looking forwards to tomorrow...I'm feeling much more confident with my ability to notice the important things and to stop being too stubborn to put a hand down :o)
    Posted by BananaDog
    Hey nana, maybe it would be a good idea to post some of these hands where you fold big hands? or just call on the end rather than raising?

- Some times it's correct to lose all your money. It sounds daft, but if your holdng 4 kings on the river, he bets, you raise and he calls and shows you 4 aces - was it wrong to raise?

Obviously thats an extreme example, but theres alot like that in cash. Getting full value for hands is important, and yopur judgement shouldn't be clouded by previous bad experiences.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Hello again cash! Mwhaaa! : Hey nana, maybe it would be a good idea to post some of these hands where you fold big hands? or just call on the end rather than raising? - Some times it's correct to lose all your money. It sounds daft, but if your holdng 4 kings on the river, he bets, you raise and he calls and shows you 4 aces - was it wrong to raise? Obviously thats an extreme example, but theres alot like that in cash. Getting full value for hands is important, and yopur judgement shouldn't be clouded by previous bad experiences.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    okey dokey...I'm just gonna take the kids to school and then I will see if I can find an example in the hand history :o) x
  • edited June 2010
    ok..here is an example...the 'baddie' only bets after the flop when he has some sort of hand.
    Looking back I didn't really have the odds to call for the flush card as he put half the pot in but he is also the sort of player to pay you if you do hit big so I called anyway.... he had hit a couple of full houses against my nut flushes before so I didn't go over the top betting at the end because even though he can go in with 2 random cards he doesn't stay in the pot unless he's hit something which is what set of warning signals!
    ps..I'm not normaly a passive player but whilst I'm learning about cash hubby has made me calm it down until I understand odds..implied odds and how to control pots more as i was loosing money. If I was playing my own way I would have been over shoving my cash in on the flush draw but as he says "they can be playing any 2 cards on 2/4 so control the pot"!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    A Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.03
    B Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £2.14
      Your hole cards
    • A

Baddie Call   £0.04 £0.10 £4.88

C
    Call   £0.04 £0.14 £2.26
    BananaDog Call   £0.04 £0.18 £4.23
    D Fold        
    A Call   £0.02 £0.20 £3.01
    B Check        
    Flop

• J

A
    Check        
    B Check        
    Baddie Bet   £0.20 £0.40 £4.68
    C Fold        
    BananaDog Call   £0.20 £0.60 £4.03
    A Fold        
    B Fold        
    Turn

• J

Baddie Check        
    BananaDog Check        
    River

Baddie Bet   £0.45 £1.05 £4.23
    BananaDog Call   £0.45 £1.50 £3.58
    Baddie Show
    • J

BananaDog Muck
    • A

Baddie Win Full House, Jacks and 3s £1.39   £5.62
  • edited June 2010
    This one was poo :(
    To be honest when he shoved his money in I took the risk against him maybe having the flush...he didn't but it's the same guy as the hand before...
    A Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.47
    B Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.73
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

C Fold        
    Baddie
    Call   £0.04 £0.10 £2.44
    D Call   £0.04 £0.14 £2.21
    BananaDog Raise   £0.44 £0.58 £3.50
    A Fold        
    B Fold        
    Baddie Call   £0.40 £0.98 £2.04
    D Fold        
    Flop

• K
    • A

Baddie Check        
    BananaDog Bet   £0.98 £1.96 £2.52
    Baddie All-in   £2.04 £4.00 £0.00
    BananaDog Call   £1.06 £5.06 £1.46
    Baddie Show
    • A
    • K

BananaDog Show
    • K
    • K

Turn

River

• A

Baddie Win Full House, Aces and Kings £4.69   £4.69
  • edited June 2010

Ah, yeh ur right to just make the call here on a board with 2 pairs.....

How about if the river was the 2 of hearts rather than the 3 to pair the board...

???
  • edited June 2010
    A Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £9.66
    B Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £6.09
      Your hole cards

C Call   £0.04 £0.10 £1.87
    D Call   £0.04 £0.14 £3.40
    Baddie Call   £0.04 £0.18 £2.83
    BananaDog Call   £0.04 £0.22 £3.90
    A Call   £0.02 £0.24 £9.64
    B Check        
    Flop

A Check        
    B Check        
    C Check        
    D Check        
    Baddie Check        
    BananaDog Check        
    Turn

A Check        
    B Check        
    C Check        
    D Check        
    Baddie Bet   £0.12 £0.36 £2.71
    BananaDog Call   £0.12 £0.48 £3.78
    A Fold        
    B Fold        
    C Fold        
    D Fold        
    River

Baddie Bet   £0.48 £0.96 £2.23
    BananaDog Raise   £0.96 £1.92 £2.82
    Baddie Call   £0.48 £2.40 £1.75
    BananaDog Show

Baddie Muck

BananaDog Win Straight to the 9 £2.22   £5.04
  • edited June 2010
    Ah, yeh ur right to just make the call here on a board with 2 pairs..... How about if the river was the 2 of hearts rather than the 3 to pair the board... ???
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    OK, If the river had come 2hearts I would have re-raised him 3/4 pot but i flat called cos if he can hit a full house he will! lol
  • edited June 2010
    omg Dohhhhhh....hahahahaha!!!! ok hubby just said to me that this is how I play...
    "you know when we take the dogs to the field and they just fly across the grass like lunatics? Well that is what you were like in cash...now you have a headcollar on and even though you still wanna pull you can't go to fast...maybe it makes more sence to you that way"
    CHARMING!!!! lol
  • ybyb
    edited June 2010
    Hi Bananadog

In the KK hand you did nothing wrong (though maybe your preflop raise was a bit on the big side?) but once that flop comes down I would fistpump get the monies in asap. Even in the unlikely event he has the flush we are still about a 35% chance to win the hand.

With the other 2 hands I guess it's ok to limp in preflop with drawing hands at 2p/4p as nearly all the players like seeing flops and will pay you off if you hit big, but when you start moving up the levels you should try to raise whenever you want to enter a pot. Also, in the A4 hand, just say you had hit an ace on the flop rather than a flush draw, could you have got away from it if another player started betting into you?
  • edited June 2010
    Hi Bananadog In the KK hand you did nothing wrong (though maybe your preflop raise was a bit on the big side?) but once that flop comes down I would fistpump get the monies in asap. Even in the unlikely event he has the flush we are still about a 35% chance to win the hand. With the other 2 hands I guess it's ok to limp in preflop with drawing hands at 2p/4p as nearly all the players like seeing flops and will pay you off if you hit big, but when you start moving up the levels you should try to raise whenever you want to enter a pot. Also, in the A4 hand, just say you had hit an ace on the flop rather than a flush draw, could you have got away from it if another player started betting into you?
    Posted by yb
    Hi YB thanks for your reply, with the KK I bet big cos 20p seems to do nothing at this level and everyone still wants to join in but on a higher level this size raise would not be happening as I would expect the more advanced players to not be playing hands with no potential so I totally agree with you there :)

With the A4 hand if only the A had come down i would have immediately got away from it as I was looking for the flush and nothing else....the way i used to play I would get side-tracked with only the A and then leak money that way but I have stopped all that and keep in my mind what i was looking to hit, and if i miss I get out the pot.

When I first started having a go on cash I went to 5/10p and I was raising into pots rather than limping but I went down levels to learn properly as I would miss the flush but hit A high or 2 pair and play over aggressively when the hand is really not good enough...now I've moved down to gain experience and better habit's i find I have to limp more as they all like to call raises, limp and hit seems to be the best way here.

Can't wait to go up a couple of levels though as I feel I'm missing out on the more normal play but hey-ho we all have to start somewhere! lol

Any tips always welcome :o) x
  • edited June 2010
    My thing here was...you don't have enough money on the table so get it all in if you think your ahead! I was not gonna let either baddie have a cheap river!
    A Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £0.38
    B Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.94
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

C Raise   £0.12 £0.18 £2.51
    Baddie1 Call   £0.12 £0.30 £1.12
    Baddie2 Call   £0.12 £0.42 £1.03
    BananaDog Call   £0.12 £0.54 £3.69
    A Fold        
    B Fold        
    Flop

• A
    • A

C Check        
    Baddie1 Check        
    Baddie2 Check        
    BananaDog Bet   £0.41 £0.95 £3.28
    C Fold        
    Baddie1 Call   £0.41 £1.36 £0.71
    Baddie2 Raise   £0.82 £2.18 £0.21
    BananaDog Raise   £1.71 £3.89 £1.57
    Baddie1 All-in   £0.71 £4.60 £0.00
    Baddie2 All-in   £0.21 £4.81 £0.00
    BananaDog Unmatched bet   £1.00 £3.81 £2.57
    Baddie1 Show
    • Q
    • Q

Baddie2 Show
    • A

BananaDog Show
    • A
    • Q

Turn

River

BananaDog Win Three Aces £3.53   £6.10
  • edited June 2010
    Right...dunno if this was correct or not...i had outs and this is my usual style of play but i lost...what do u think, was I right calling for the flush?
    Poo Face Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.88
    A Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £2.65
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

B Call   £0.04 £0.10 £1.39
    BananaDog Call   £0.04 £0.14 £6.20
    C Call   £0.04 £0.18 £0.18
    Poo Face Raise   £0.18 £0.36 £3.70
    A Fold        
    B Fold        
    BananaDog Call   £0.16 £0.52 £6.04
    C Fold        
    Flop

• J

Poo Face
    All-in   £3.70 £4.22 £0.00
    BananaDog Call   £3.70 £7.92 £2.34
    Poo Face
    Show
    • K
    • K

BananaDog Show
    • Q
    • A

Turn

River

Poo Face
    Win Pair of Kings £7.33   £7.33
  • ybyb
    edited June 2010
    You aren't getting the right odds to call to hit the flush, but if you think your A and Q is live then it's the correct call.

But if we assume villain is loose passive (which most 2p/4p players are) and only raises pre with premiums then we should fold as its unlikely both cards are live.