You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this too tight?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Wineman Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.60
Dudeskin8 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.80
  Your hole cards

Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £1.61
All-in  £5.14 £5.28 £0.00
ARIZONA501 Fold     
davieboy Fold     
Wineman Fold     
Dudeskin8 Fold     
Fold     
Muck     
Win  £0.22  £0.22
Return  £5.06 £0.00 £5.28
Had been on table quite a while, X always minraised into pots from any position so wasn't too worried there, but then Y who hadn't made this all-in pre move in any other hand does this. I hated folding but they seemed less crazy then the usual lot so decided to fold incase it was like JJ/QQ or maybe AK, yes i'm racing but it's not tournement poker. Was it right ?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Is this too tight?:
    Wineman Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £1.60 Dudeskin8 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.80   Your hole cards 10 10       X  Raise   £0.08 £0.14 £1.61 Y  All-in   £5.14 £5.28 £0.00 ARIZONA501 Fold         davieboy Fold         Wineman Fold         Dudeskin8 Fold         X  Fold         Y  Muck         Y  Win   £0.22   £0.22 Y  Return   £5.06 £0.00 £5.28 Had been on table quite a while, X always minraised into pots from any position so wasn't too worried there, but then Y who hadn't made this all-in pre move in any other hand does this. I hated folding but they seemed less crazy then the usual lot so decided to fold incase it was like JJ/QQ or maybe AK, yes i'm racing but it's not tournement poker. Was it right ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8

folding is fine.
  • edited June 2010
    think I'd fold there as I'd be wanting to get in cheap to hopefully hit a set - Good fold mate (I think so anyway) x
    ps..if he had raised to maybe 20p I would have called to see the flop but otherwise i think it could just be a race even if he only had JQ and no PP you would have been worried about him hitting even 1 card.
  • edited June 2010
    I fold KK at that level.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this too tight?:
    In Response to Re: Is this too tight? :  You can never be to Cautious I have folded 7-2 to an all in.!!
    Posted by logdon
    Arent you a hoot.
  • edited June 2010
    not much point calling, qq+ im in for the crack
  • edited June 2010
    I'd only call AA in this position if they were suited.
  • edited June 2010
    Your only in with the BB, so a defo fold. It's cash!! so no presure to play, sit back and wait for a better spot.
  • edited June 2010
    No, good fold, coin flip at best.
  • edited June 2010
    I would be tempted to call, so much of the time they have some random PP.
  • edited June 2010
    I would be tempted to call, so much of the time they have some random PP.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    I thought about it, but knew they'd probably turn over Jacks and I've just wasted a BI....
  • edited June 2010

Am i the only one who insta calls?

At those lower levels, 1010 has to have a good chance of being ahead, and if it isn't it has only cost you a fiver to find out and make appropriate notes regarding a stupid all in play by player y.

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this too tight? : I thought about it, but knew they'd probably turn over Jacks and I've just wasted a BI....
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    you couldn't possibly know this. the random all ins seem to be anything, so TT is good enough for me to get it in i think.
  • edited June 2010

For me AA and KK only, when 127 big blinds deep and I had nothing really invested, unless I know he can ship it in light. Lets say he can have any pocket pair, any ace suited or unsuited down to A7 and KQ, you have a 62% equity. However removing just 7's though 2's and anything below A10 and you are now down to 51%

• edited June 2010
    I think I should fold, but I don't think I would.
  • edited June 2010
    I think I should fold, but I don't think I would.
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    I say this to myself everytime I play :)
  • edited July 2010
    why call poster says has no reads on oppo, yes its only a fiver but its all relatively to the level 100+ b b's no need to play a big pot
  • edited July 2010
    I'd fold reluctantly.
    People get excited at these levels when they have AA KK,etc and just shove.
  • edited July 2010
    Am i the only one who insta calls? At those lower levels, 1010 has to have a good chance of being ahead, and if it isn't it has only cost you a fiver to find out and make appropriate notes regarding a stupid all in play by player y.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I can see where your coming from if a buy-in represents less than say 2% of your bankroll but for me I've slowly grinded up to £45 from £17 so it's not so easy to say 'Hey lets just gamble, who cares'.  If I had a larger bankroll calling here would be easy.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this too tight? : I can see where your coming from if a buy-in represents less than say 2% of your bankroll but for me I've slowly grinded up to £45 from £17 so it's not so easy to say 'Hey lets just gamble, who cares'.  If I had a larger bankroll calling here would be easy.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I don't have the patience to slowly grind at those levels, so i fully respect what you do and totally understand the fold. But, i am afraid i look the guy up because it is a redic bet from him, and he does not have to have us crushed. I cant not call here, because i want to see what he has got, if that makes me a fish, so be it.

Another reason for the call is the consideration that player y is fed up with player X consistantly min raising in position and has chosen to take a stand, forgetting about the players behind.... Just a thought...

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this too tight? : I don't have the patience to slowly grind at those levels, so i fully respect what you do and totally understand the fold. But, i am afraid i look the guy up because it is a redic bet from him, and he does not have to have us crushed. I cant not call here, because i want to see what he has got, if that makes me a fish, so be it. Another reason for the call is the consideration that player y is fed up with player X consistantly min raising in position and has chosen to take a stand, forgetting about the players behind.... Just a thought...  
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Yh I admit it would be unusual to shove with Jacks or higher but like I say I didn't fancy risking it, especially when at this level players can easily hand you their stack given enough patience.
  • edited July 2010
    I reluctantly fold. 

Reasons being, you have been on the table for a while and they havent done this before.  Do you think he is trying to steal 3bb with the all in with nothing.  I think at the best your racing. 

Some have made the point that there are a lot of crazy players at this level but there are some half decent players too. ;-) 

I respect players at this level until they give me a reason otherwise.  It doesn't usually take very long to work out the good and bad.

Back yourself to find a better position.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Is this too tight?:
    Wineman Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £1.60 Dudeskin8 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.80   Your hole cards 10 10       X  Raise   £0.08 £0.14 £1.61 Y  All-in   £5.14 £5.28 £0.00 ARIZONA501 Fold         davieboy Fold         Wineman Fold         Dudeskin8 Fold         X  Fold         Y  Muck         Y  Win   £0.22   £0.22 Y  Return   £5.06 £0.00 £5.28 Had been on table quite a while, X always minraised into pots from any position so wasn't too worried there, but then Y who hadn't made this all-in pre move in any other hand does this. I hated folding but they seemed less crazy then the usual lot so decided to fold incase it was like JJ/QQ or maybe AK, yes i'm racing but it's not tournement poker. Was it right ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Standard call - Why would he go all in with JJ+?   At worst you are against two overcards 
  • edited July 2010
    I absolutely do not call here. Why would you want to? The players not done this before so how can you call with that information?

I understand the comments about the level. Yes, at this level players sometimes push any two. You only call with 10-10, however, when you've got that information locked up. FWIW, I calll here with QQ+.

With regards to it only been £4 or £5 I fully agree with your own approach dudeskin. I dont see it as £4 or £5 quid at all its 1 buy in. I am not gambling with this just to get information you could easily enough get just by observing for longer first.

As your grinding well, I think you understand that its important to get into good habits and calling 10-10 here just isn't IMO so I like your fold.
  • edited July 2010
    I absolutely do not call here. Why would you want to? The players not done this before so how can you call with that information? I understand the comments about the level. Yes, at this level players sometimes push any two. You only call with 10-10, however, when you've got that information locked up. FWIW, I calll here with QQ+. With regards to it only been £4 or £5 I fully agree with your own approach dudeskin. I dont see it as £4 or £5 quid at all its 1 buy in. I am not gambling with this just to get information you could easily enough get just by observing for longer first. As your grinding well, I think you understand that its important to get into good habits and calling 10-10 here just isn't IMO so I like your fold.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Cheers mate, at his level there is no need to take risks like this, and tbh even if I had a BR of 50+ BI's I'd probably still fold as your basically hoping you get it right and could be likely flipping and imo that isn't a good way to build a BR.
  • edited July 2010

dont see how the thread has gone on for so long its a super easy snap fold. besides the fact that putting 120bbs in the pot when you need just under 49% equity to breakeven on it is pretty bad and full of variance as you will prob be flipping or crushed most of the time, there is also another player in the hand who minraised UTG.

• edited July 2010
    what are people's calling ranges here then?
    I think TT is really border line here so im not bothered if i call or fold.
    And anyone care to assign the shover a hand range?
  • edited July 2010
    what are people's calling ranges here then? I think TT is really border line here so im not bothered if i call or fold. And anyone care to assign the shover a hand range?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    As I said, me personally, Im calling with QQ+

As for assigning him a range I'm not going to bother with a player who makes this move out of the blue. If forced on the issue, I would say one of the top 169 starting hands :-)