You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cooler I think, but how was my play?

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Remove results fwiw.

Also what I think you should be thinking about is what happens in the opening preflop, facing 3 bet preflop decisions and how you should play post flop allowing for the type of range you are perceiving to play against.

what hands do you think he 3 bets with? how often does he have to be 3 bet folding for you to make a 4 bet as a bluff?

why do you raise so small preflop oop against a good player? do you always make it this size with aces and something different without?

what hands would you c/r on this flop?

and yes ofc this is a cooler. forget about this specific hand and think about this type of spot against this type of player.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Villain is incredibly aggro, not played with them too much though.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceCLIOKIDSmall blind £0.50£0.50£153.25k88mossBig blind £1.00£1.50£180.85 Your hole cardsAA   bergy10Fold    monkinsaneFold    scotty77Fold    CLIOKIDRaise £2.50£4.00£150.75k88mossRaise £8.00£12.00£172.85CLIOKIDCall £6.00£18.00£144.75Flop  93A   CLIOKIDCheck    k88mossBet £14.00£32.00£158.85CLIOKIDRaise £41.00£73.00£103.75k88mossRaise £56.00£129.00£102.85                 £333.80
  • edited June 2010
    Ok so maybe I should make it £4 pre-flop.

I think there is a bigggg range of hands they are 3-bet squeezing with that they'll fold to a 4-bet and I want to keep them in.

The hands I c/r this flop?

K of spades is obviously one of the hands that it would look like I'd check raise, also probably any A with decent spade kicker.

When I c/r and they 3-bet me to I actually have to consider folding/slowing down? 

I don't want to moan too much about a beat or w/e but it is a 3-bet HU pot and I flop top set, do I really have to think they might have flopped a flush?

The odds on flopping a set are what 8/1? Then the odds of flopping a flush I'm not sure but I know they are big!

Edited OP to take out results..

• edited June 2010
    100-1 to flop a flush

'I don't want to moan too much about a beat or w/e but it is a 3-bet HU pot and I flop top set, do I really have to think they might have flopped a flush?'

3bet pot, top set, never fold EVER. you might fill up !!!

do you see what I mean with my questions, i'm not trying to answer for you just get you to think about the right stuff.

what are you going to do with 88 when it comes to you in the sb. what about AJo, A9o, ATs??

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Cooler I think, but how was my play?:
    100-1 to flop a flush 'I don't want to moan too much about a beat or w/e but it is a 3-bet HU pot and I flop top set, do I really have to think they might have flopped a flush?' 3bet pot, top set, never fold EVER. you might fill up !!! do you see what I mean with my questions, i'm not trying to answer for you just get you to think about the right stuff. what are you going to do with 88 when it comes to you in the sb. what about AJo, A9o, ATs??
    Posted by beaneh
    I get what your saying.

This hand only happened about half an hour ago and even now I can't think what my thinking was in the hand other than:

A) Flat/trap pre and C/R pretty much any flop.

B) Yukky flop, I need to get it in now as I can't let another spade peel off and surely TF he can't have flopped it!!

Didn't put as much thought in as maybe was required...
  • edited June 2010
    i dont mind flatting pre if villain bluffs alot, has a super wide 3bing range and you havent 4bet him much at all

i cant see how deep you are so i will assume 100bbs, if its alot deeper like 150+ i would 4bet pre all the time

against a hand range of exactly a flush you have 35% equity, this means that if you have already put in greater than 1/3rd of your stack it is +ev to stack off.

i.e 300bb you put 100bb in your opponent shoves 300bb  there is 400bb in the pot and you have 200bb behind so you are getting 2:1 which means that you need 33% equity to breakeven.

if in the OP you are only 100bb you now have £49 in the pot when he 3bets the flop so you will be getting roughly 3:1 on your money ( 49+49+51 : 51 ), even if he flips up KQss here you have to call
  • edited June 2010
    It was 150 BB deep for me and villain..
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Cooler I think, but how was my play? : I get what your saying. This hand only happened about half an hour ago and even now I can't think what my thinking was in the hand other than: A) Flat/trap pre and C/R pretty much any flop. B) Yukky flop, I need to get it in now as I can't let another spade peel off and surely TF he can't have flopped it!! Didn't put as much thought in as maybe was required...
    Posted by CLIOKID

if you raise call pre because he can bluff, by c/r the flop you stop him bluffing which costs you money.

if you think he's aggro then let him fire if hes just aggro 3 betting wise and nothing else play back in a different way.

try thinking how you would want to play pocket 8's or AJo when raising into this player....
  • edited June 2010
    150bb deep its still a call if he flips up a made flush as theres £100 in the pot and you have £100 behind (so getting 2:1 when including villains £100 to call your shove), its only slightly +ev this deep, but considering he has a wider hand range than just a flush its still a fist pump shove
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Cooler I think, but how was my play? : if you raise call pre because he can bluff, by c/r the flop you stop him bluffing which costs you money. if you think he's aggro then let him fire if hes just aggro 3 betting wise and nothing else play back in a different way. try thinking how you would want to play pocket 8's or AJo when raising into this player....
    Posted by beaneh
    True.

But I'm hoping he catches a peace and thinks I'm the one who is bluffing as my hand is under repped.

Then I see a dodgy flop and poop myself but still have to get it in.

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Cooler I think, but how was my play? : True. But I'm hoping he catches a peace and thinks I'm the one who is bluffing as my hand is under repped. Then I see a dodgy flop and poop myself but still have to get it in.
    Posted by CLIOKID

this is not a dodgy flop, you has set.

how often are you putting in post flop raises that are bluffs/semi bluffs, he's not going to put you on a bluff unless you regularly are betting at/into him.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Cooler I think, but how was my play? : this is not a dodgy flop, you has set. how often are you putting in post flop raises that are bluffs/semi bluffs, he's not going to put you on a bluff unless you regularly are betting at/into him.
    Posted by beaneh

what if you have AJ no spade or 88 w/a spade would you raise call pre if so how would you continue? 
  • edited June 2010
    flop donk will induce way more bluffs than your line
  • edited June 2010
    flop donk will induce way more bluffs than your line
    Posted by zing

exactly.

more thought needs to be put into playing this situation when you don't have premium cards imo

premiums are easy, get money in dont fold.....
  • edited June 2010
    You played the hand fine.

K88 is never folding KTss 150bb deep unless you make it like 40 to go pre.