You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Re-Raise or Flat call???

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Never played the villain before, have no real reads he has been on the table 10 mins and doubled up early. What would you do here and why ???

goodylad21 Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £136.23 SBig blind  £1.00 £1.50 £249.30   Your hole cards A A       h Fold     r Fold     fFold     a Fold     goodylad21 Raise  £2.50 £4.00 £133.73 S Call  £2.00 £6.00 £247.30 Flop    3 J 8       goodylad21 Bet  £4.50 £10.50 £129.23 S Call  £4.50 £15.00 £242.80 Turn    8       goodylad21 Bet  £9.00 £24.00 £120.23 SRaise  £18.00 £42.00 £224.80

Comments

• edited June 2010
    ok..im a 2/4 low level beginner! lol...but I'm gonna have a go at this and tell you my reasons to see what you think also!
    You basically have 2 pair aces and eights with jack kicker....and nut flush draw....but....I would be flat calling for the simple fact you have no reads on the guy and once the board has paired the full house could be beating you and even if that doesn't come if you miss the flush you will be left with only 2 pair when he may well have already hit trip 8's.
    For me if i'm not very confident i'm ahead I'm flat calling to minimise losses rather than re-raising.

• edited June 2010
    ok....i just read this also to hubby and he said "I'm shoving!"....so there you go, 2 different opinions in one go! lol
    ps...gonna go kick him in the head now as he has forced me to play tighter when shoving is my move!!!!
  • edited June 2010
    bet more pre and on flop, call turn c/f blank rivers.
  • edited June 2010
    Hmm, interesting one this and so much of the decision making here depends on the way villain plays/thinks imo. Without background it gets tricky, but let's have a go anyway... We'll assume villain is a thinking player who can pu you on hands/ranges, etc.

The preflop raise from you looks like a standard blind vs. blind hand, and if you've been playing actively in those ten minutes (again, a bit of what you imagine your image to be at the table might be helpful), this looks like a bet which barely narrows your range of hands down at all.

I'd be raising out of the small blind with any suited connectors, some unsuited connectors, J8+/Q8+/K7+ as well as any ace and obviously pairs. He can easily look at any similar hand in the BB and defend, so we learn relatively little from the action here imo.

The flop is a very interesting one. It could either be smack-bang in his defending range (J8 or 33 for two extreme examples), more likely be a board he could have connected with in a half decent way (so JT or A8 for example), or maybe - just maybe - he thinks it's the sort of board he can float the flop and play depending on the turn.

With a pot size of £6, I think your bet of £4.50 is standard and again doesn't really say too much about your hand strength. Continuation bets are going to be around this kind of size, so we're not really telling him we have a real hand here.

For that reason I might have been more inclined to go for a check-raise or a weak lead hoping to enduce a situation where we can get more in on the flop. Of course, he could take a free card which might be a disaster on a textured board, blah blah, but again this is dependant more on yours and his image. If you're the kind of player who he's seen c-betting all of the time then go with that. If he's seen you check fold in some spots then I'd weak lead and try and induce him to move you off the hand. If he's seen you check raising... well, flip a coin and either lead or do it one more time ;)

The turn raise is the key spot. The 8c could be seen as a really horrible card by some, but I actually think this isn't such a bad turn for us. His raise suggests he's in one of the following situations:

1) He has something like QJ and wants to shut the hand down. He'd be overplaying the J of course, but it's a contender.
    2) He floated the flop and thinks this is a good turn to represent on. And I'd have to agree with him in a lot of cases. If you have TT here you bin the hand a lot of the time. If you have KJ you slow down and will probably be wary of your river decision. The turn raise has a lot going for it, but in this case you have AA and it's tougher to get you to fold those.
    3) The 8 has given him trips or worse still a boat. Well, we have a redraw to the nut flush as well as the two remaining aces. His little raise means we can easily look to call and re-assess on the river. In this river scenario I check call most instances, unless of course I bink an ace in which case I lead out for 2/3 pot and pray to the Poker Gods that he has J8/A8.
    4) He could also be combining (2) with a Kc in his hand, for instance Kc-Qx and thinks that - seeing his hand has gained a lot of equity vs a hand such as AJ - this is a good spot for him to raise.

As I said above, I don't mind the 8c turn. I think he's playing any Jack like this and we have a draw against a decent chunk of his range. I'd flat the turn and lead any good river such as a club or an ace. If he raises a club river we throw up a bit, say "nice hand" in his head and call - he's never doing it with just an eight so he's either boated or just played something like QJ very badly indeed :) In conclusion, his min-raise just doesn't feel right on this turn though...

That's my two pences' worth - I tend to run into a lot of full houses though, so do take it with a pinch of salt!

• edited June 2010
    cant see suits in your post?(maybe my fail browser) but i dont see what hes raising that you beat...i prob fold turn without reads.I cant see him raising any J here

dont like calling turn to fold a blank river....whats your thinking behind that beaneh? you saying hes min raising turn with 9T hand that picked up a fd too or complete air and will give up when he misses river?

and to quote a famous saying....lol at turn shove
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Re-Raise or Flat call???:
    cant see suits in your post?(maybe my fail browser) but i dont see what hes raising that you beat...i prob fold turn without reads.I cant see him raising any J here dont like calling turn to fold a blank river....whats your thinking behind that beaneh? you saying hes min raising turn with 9T hand that picked up a fd too or complete air and will give up when he misses river? and to quote a famous saying....lol at turn shove
    Posted by lynx3ffect

well without reads he might have an 8x hand, he could have a baby frush and be playing it bad. we has frushy card outs, he could be doing something very special with a weird jack or a completely unrelated hand to the board. it's  bvb and we is against an unknown villain. anything is possible. 

I doubt once the turn is minraised whether they are just firing the river with anything that we beat, so c/f river when it's not a club is probably best, if river goes check check on non clubs we have most likely won and need to make a note what the turn minraise was done with.

shoving turn would be terribad imo

we have AcAx and board is J8x cc 8c turn
  • edited June 2010
    bet more pre and on flop, call turn c/f blank rivers.
    Posted by beaneh
    Why would you bet more pre? blind vs blind do we really want to scare him off when we have aces?!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Re-Raise or Flat call??? : Why would you bet more pre? blind vs blind do we really want to scare him off when we have aces?!
    Posted by pryce6

when it folds round to the small blind, what do we want to happen?

how often do we have QQ+?

how often do we have gash hands?

what does raising less achieve?

what does raising more achieve?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Re-Raise or Flat call??? : well without reads he might have an 8x hand, he could have a baby frush and be playing it bad. we has frushy card outs, he could be doing something very special with a weird jack or a completely unrelated hand to the board. it's  bvb and we is against an unknown villain. anything is possible.  I doubt once the turn is minraised whether they are just firing the river with anything that we beat, so c/f river when it's not a club is probably best, if river goes check check on non clubs we have most likely won and need to make a note what the turn minraise was done with. shoving turn would be terribad imo we have AcAx and board is J8x cc 8c turn
    Posted by beaneh
    oh ok, like i said cudnt see suits, then flat, c/f is fine :)

def raise more pre tho, no value in shoving at all, tis lunacy
  • edited June 2010

I would call the turn.

I would also check call the river, pobably any card other than a jack - including a club.

Queens, Kings, KcJx, QcJx, 9T with a club, mabe even KQ with a club.

If you believe a player has exactly what theyre trying to represent every time, your just gonna become a pushover.

He cud have 44-77, 99,TT with 1 club...

Its blind on blind, Im not folding, everrrrr unless he makes some ridiculous bet on the end. (or a jack comes)

Im more towards the calling station ed of the NIT - STATION Spectrum :)

• edited June 2010
    BvB i make it 4x with everything, though i think i have a slightly tighter range that what sky_dave suggested.

sky_dave the problem i see with your reasoning is that  a thining player, which you said you would assume he is, would never be minraising this turn, either for value or as a bluff. if he has a strong hands he wants to get stacks inb so he raises more, if he is bluffing he wants to give a worse price for hero to call so he raises more,

8c is probably worst card in the deck? possibly 2nd worst after a Jack. his flop calling range should consist of Jx 8x flush draws, straight draws, we only beat Jx & draws now, as said earlier i think he almost never has a draw (more likely to raise flop that turn, or just flat call turn as you are 130bbs+ deep so implied odds are ok) doing this with Jx is turning your hand into a bluff. think he has a flush alot more than 8x tbh as minraising with 8x on that texture is just super bad.

in summary:
    do what beaneh said
  • edited June 2010
    sky_dave the problem i see with your reasoning is that  a thining player, which you said you would assume he is, would never be minraising this turn, either for value or as a bluff. if he has a strong hands he wants to get stacks inb so he raises more, if he is bluffing he wants to give a worse price for hero to call so he raises more
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Fair comment, but what if the thinking player is making a 'weak raise'with 8x in a bid to get you to re-raise and get stacks in that way?. I agree it could be a poor bluff attempt, but as I said in summary it feels more like the line a Jack with a weird club kicker would take...

Don't get me wrong - I don't like the raise size at all and it doesn't tie in too well with the 'thinking player' assumption (min-raises like this make me scratch my head every time, and not in a good way), but I also think it's a situation where we can't rule out he's capable of taking a weird line to entice a spew...

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Re-Raise or Flat call??? : when it folds round to the small blind, what do we want to happen? how often do we have QQ+? how often do we have gash hands? what does raising less achieve? what does raising more achieve?
    Posted by beaneh
    I understand that we want more money in the pot sure but given that we get QQ+ very rarely b v b surely that means we are desperate for him to call??

surely there are so many hands villain calls 3x but folds for 4/5x? also would he not be more likely to 3bet 3x raise seeing it as weakness?

obv if you have been raising 4/5x b v b for a while then keep going but the last thing id want to do is raise too much and see an insta fold
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Re-Raise or Flat call??? : Fair comment, but what if the thinking player is making a 'weak raise'with 8x in a bid to get you to re-raise and get stacks in that way?. I agree it could be a poor bluff attempt, but as I said in summary it feels more like the line a Jack with a weird club kicker would take... Don't get me wrong - I don't like the raise size at all and it doesn't tie in too well with the 'thinking player' assumption (min-raises like this make me scratch my head every time, and not in a good way), but I also think it's a situation where we can't rule out he's capable of taking a weird line to entice a spew...
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    an unknown player shouldnt be doing too many 'non standard' things, as he would be making assumptions about your game while having no history between you two to back it up, if it turns out that previously there had been a hand where he had made a raise like this and had induced the OP to spew off with a weak hand then yea you could include alot more 8x combinations in his range.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Re-Raise or Flat call??? : I understand that we want more money in the pot sure but given that we get QQ+ very rarely b v b surely that means we are desperate for him to call?? surely there are so many hands villain calls 3x but folds for 4/5x? also would he not be more likely to 3bet 3x raise seeing it as weakness? obv if you have been raising 4/5x b v b for a while then keep going but the last thing id want to do is raise too much and see an insta fold
    Posted by pryce6

I would be making the same raise size regardless of my hand and it would be 4x from the sb.

if the bb is good and you are opening a wide range from the sb he can just 3 bet you or call and call flop and outplay you so so easily. this is why im asking what you would do with 88/AJ when you open and get 3 bet.

you dont want a good player calling you lots in position because your life will be hell. 
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Re-Raise or Flat call??? : Fair comment, but what if the thinking player is making a 'weak raise'with 8x in a bid to get you to re-raise and get stacks in that way?. I agree it could be a poor bluff attempt, but as I said in summary it feels more like the line a Jack with a weird club kicker would take... Don't get me wrong - I don't like the raise size at all and it doesn't tie in too well with the 'thinking player' assumption (min-raises like this make me scratch my head every time, and not in a good way), but I also think it's a situation where we can't rule out he's capable of taking a weird line to entice a spew...
    Posted by Sky_Dave

a thinking player would realise he's not going to get us to spack out without history therefore raise folding an 8 might be better; because of how tight our shoving range is on the turn, than min raise stacking off though obviously it's pretty gross to raise fold what is relatively such a strong hand.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Re-Raise or Flat call??? : I would be making the same raise size regardless of my hand and it would be 4x from the sb. if the bb is good and you are opening a wide range from the sb he can just 3 bet you or call and call flop and outplay you so so easily. this is why im asking what you would do with 88/AJ when you open and get 3 bet. you dont want a good player calling you lots in position because your life will be hell. 
    Posted by beaneh
    BALANCE IS GOOD