You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

sllow play AA or KK mtt?

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SnapCalled Small blind  150.00 150.00 7315.00
dibnah01 Big blind  300.00 450.00 2210.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

WALLY429 Fold     
Crafty209 Fold     
harding10 Raise  1200.00 1650.00 500.00
zephyr Fold     
SnapCalled Fold     
dibnah01 Fold     
harding10 Muck     
harding10 Win  750.00  1250.00
harding10 Return  900.00 0.00 2150.00

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Should I be slow playing AA or KK in mtt's, taking a chance on getting caught in order to build chips. Getting a bit frustrated with betting these hands sensibly and getting little reward.
  • edited June 2010
    Depends on the table, if there's a lot of aggro going on then yes, flat call hoping to go over the top of a raise from the button or the blinds pre-flop. On a tighter table you have to bet, maybe 4xBB is a bit too big for aces, you may have had a caller at 2.5 to 3 xBB, I would've bet about 750/800.
  • edited June 2010
    With aces you can definetely slow play. My personal approach is a min raise or with your stack I could even limp in as raising 1200 and leaving 500 behind is bit silly. You're never folding are you so you might aswell have shoved which looks weaker.

But on a 6 handed table I would limp in hope for raise pre but if not hope the blinds hit something and get it in there.
  • edited June 2010
    Your raise has telegraphed a big hand because you have left yourself 500 chips which means you insta call any reraise as you're pot committed. With your're stack I think you're more likely to get a call by shovin all-in as you have less than 10bb and it could look like your trying to steal. People call a lot lighter if they think you're trying to steal. Any raise is practically pot committing you as you'll only have a pot size bet left post flop. Flat calling and hoping for a raise is one option but if you get beat by the big blind with 7 2 you'll be kicking yourself.
     For me, shoving and hoping for a call is best and if nothing else you take the blinds.
  • edited June 2010
    Always tough playing AA/KK in unraised pots. Irrespective of stack sizes, position is usually a factor. Many players favour limping in from early position hoping to come over the top of any raise, but it is a nightmare when the whole table limps and you are playing them 3 or 4 ways, especially on any drawing board. In your position or on the button normally you would want to make your "standard" raise whatever that may be, to disguise it as just playing position strongly.

When you are as shortstacked as you are here, it is a totally different situation, even doubling up is not going to radically improve your situation in the tourny. You have three players to act after you, and the big blind is short too. So its one of those few situations where  I would limp in, to draw others into the pot. But I would obviously do so knowing my chips would all be going in at the next opportunity.

So I would again be looking for a raise from someone else , but would take the risk of playing it 3 or 4 ways on the flop, then shoving to make sure they have to pay for their drawing hands.

• edited June 2010

Edit - I have just noticed your stack size. Never an option to raise here, if anything this looks suspicious and is more likely to make people fold.

Penguins answer is very interesting and considering how short your stack is this is prob your best opportunity to terbble up and get back in te game.  In this situation I normally just shove, but that is because I am simples, and maybe why Penguin always outlasts me in tourneys.
  • edited June 2010
    Go all in, slowplay when you have more chips and aren't the opening raiser.
  • edited June 2010
    I didn't notice the stack sizes either, my opinion was based on deeper stacks.
  • edited June 2010
    Its entirley up to you, personally, I never EVER slow play a big pocket pair