You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

So what went wrong with England?

edited June 2010 in The Football Corner
I'm genuinely astounded with how poor you were. From the start. And in every game henceforth.

It wasn't just Green's f#ck-up. It wasn't Lampard's "goal". You should have and could have overcome both of those. Was Ferdinand that big a loss?

You should have been sailing through the group after how you handled the qualifiers. Rooney should have made this tournament his.

But you were inexplicably bad and Rooney looked like a 10yo who'd dropped his ice-cream in the sand.

I'm honestly not gloating (except for loonytoon's thread and he asked for it) but I'm honestly at a loss as to why it was so pathetic. I'm guessing egos were to blame but I really don't know whose?

Can any of the locals shed any light on the subject?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    This is exactly how i feel as well. I am stunned. Even though i would have done things differently to Capello, i still dont understand how this has all happened.

One thing i would have done differently defo would have been to play players in correct positions rather than just the best 11 players that we have. But also i would have taken Darren Bent and young Johnson.

Players not on form or having a mare would have been subbed or dropped.

Still might have been knocked out though anyhow because for some reason they were complacent, scared and had no guts.

Cant believe it.???
  • edited June 2010
    That goal is given - its 2-2 at half time (if the Germans managed to hang on for the last 10 mins before HT) and it's a totally different game.

We get robbed at every finals, with something like this.

We were all over em, they cudn't handle us coming forward, and the decision to rule out a goal deflatd the team...

I don't buy this "of it was 4-1 so one goal wudnt make a difference" - what a loada rubbish that is as if we leave 3 on 1 at the back if the score is 2-2.

Yeh we were poor throughout the tournament - but you don't need to play well to win the world cup - u just have to get results.

My view is that we failed to prepare - playing 17+ men in every friendly game to "give everyone a chance" was detremental, why didn't he play his best team every time and get them playing as a team. - Go out and play every friendly like a cup final, try and smash teams 4/5-0.

Don't think the players realised the stage they were on, it took them too long to get going, and it was too late. - 38 games to win a premiership - 7 to win a world cup.

What happens from here? - it doesn't really matter for a year or so - just pointless friendlies where every english player in the premiership will get 10 minutes to show the manager what hes got - and even then we'll end up with the same names starting the next major tournament with no idea how to play with each other and function as a team capable of winning the european champs!

We were still robbed tho - thats a fact.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: So what went wrong with England?:
    You are deluded my friend
    "you don't have to play well to win the world cup".statement of the year

"if you fail to prepare you prepare to fail".don't know who said it but they're
    spot on.

And i believe Engerland didn't fail,they got as far as thier average players were
    ever capable of getting.They have NO world class players NONE,and to mention 
    rooney in the same sentance as messi is a joke (even tho i've just done it).

Anyway its time to finally enjoy the world cup.....
    That goal is given - its 2-2 at half time (if the Germans managed to hang on for the last 10 mins before HT) and it's a totally different game. We get robbed at every finals, with something like this. We were all over em, they cudn't handle us coming forward, and the decision to rule out a goal deflatd the team... I don't buy this "of it was 4-1 so one goal wudnt make a difference" - what a loada rubbish that is as if we leave 3 on 1 at the back if the score is 2-2. Yeh we were poor throughout the tournament - but you don't need to play well to win the world cup - u just have to get results. My view is that we failed to prepare - playing 17+ men in every friendly game to "give everyone a chance" was detremental, why didn't he play his best team every time and get them playing as a team. - Go out and play every friendly like a cup final, try and smash teams 4/5-0. Don't think the players realised the stage they were on, it took them too long to get going, and it was too late. - 38 games to win a premiership - 7 to win a world cup. What happens from here? - it doesn't really matter for a year or so - just pointless friendlies where every english player in the premiership will get 10 minutes to show the manager what hes got - and even then we'll end up with the same names starting the next major tournament with no idea how to play with each other and function as a team capable of winning the european champs! We were still robbed tho - thats a fact.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
  • edited June 2010
    The goal not being given was a huge blow.  How many games do you watch at 2-1 and say the next team to score will win this.

FIFA need shooting.  Why are they so stubborn about goal line technology.  Name me one person apart from the old, out of touch, bigwigs at FIFA.   They know they are wrong but won't admit it.  We can't change the past but can change the future so this doesn't happen again.

Lets remove all the prem teams from the Carling cup and make the prem max 18 teams with a two week winter break in Jan.  That takes 4-10 games off all teams which is needed.
  • edited June 2010
    That goal is given - its 2-2 at half time (if the Germans managed to hang on for the last 10 mins before HT) and it's a totally different game. We get robbed at every finals, with something like this. We were all over em, they cudn't handle us coming forward, and the decision to rule out a goal deflatd the team... I don't buy this "of it was 4-1 so one goal wudnt make a difference" - what a loada rubbish that is as if we leave 3 on 1 at the back if the score is 2-2. Yeh we were poor throughout the tournament - but you don't need to play well to win the world cup - u just have to get results. My view is that we failed to prepare - playing 17+ men in every friendly game to "give everyone a chance" was detremental, why didn't he play his best team every time and get them playing as a team. - Go out and play every friendly like a cup final, try and smash teams 4/5-0. Don't think the players realised the stage they were on, it took them too long to get going, and it was too late. - 38 games to win a premiership - 7 to win a world cup. What happens from here? - it doesn't really matter for a year or so - just pointless friendlies where every english player in the premiership will get 10 minutes to show the manager what hes got - and even then we'll end up with the same names starting the next major tournament with no idea how to play with each other and function as a team capable of winning the european champs! We were still robbed tho - thats a fact.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    If you need to know what the problem is this answers it, delusion. I suppose England COULD handle the german attack? That's why they could've hit double figures. If you think you deserved to win that game even with the non goal you need to take a good hard look at yourself.
  • edited June 2010

I didn't say we deserved to win, I said we were robbed us of a goal which would have got us back into it and gave us a great chance of winning.

The defence was a shambles, but half time 2-2 its a new game.

Fabio cud sort the problems at the back out, keep things tight, and let us go and attack a poor German defence and GK.

As it was, at 2-1, we had to chase the game and which left us exposed at the back and the Germans exploited us well.

Give United and Chelsea a 1 goal handicap throughout the premier league season and see how this effects their 'goals conceded' column in the table.

Teams have to chase games when they r behind, which made us look even worse than we actually are.

I still believe we cud have won the world cup had that goal been given - sh it teams win cup games, knockout football can be a lottery, and if we'd started performing 100%, our fate would still be decided by an incident like the one yesterday - there is no justice in knockout football.

Delusion? - I admit, we were rubbish, but rubbish at 2-2 gives us a chance, rubbish at 2-1 and having to chase the game ends up in embarassment.

The Germans scoring 2 at the end has clouded the real issue of injustice - this wud NEVER have happened in the manner it did if it was 2-2 with 20 minutes to go, every1 knows that, no matter what nationality.

Had Ronaldo last time, a Sol Campbell dis-allowed goal in the last minute, a referee who wanted his name up in lights in France in 98, and now the most ridiculous decision yet.

Something has to be done - least we know how the Irish feel now.

Again, robbed !

• edited June 2010
    I didn't say we deserved to win, I said we were robbed us of a goal which would have got us back into it and gave us a great chance of winning. The defence was a shambles, but half time 2-2 its a new game. Fabio cud sort the problems at the back out, keep things tight, and let us go and attack a poor German defence and GK. As it was, at 2-1, we had to chase the game and which left us exposed at the back and the Germans exploited us well. Give United and Chelsea a 1 goal handicap throughout the premier league season and see how this effects their 'goals conceded' column in the table. Teams have to chase games when they r behind, which made us look even worse than we actually are. I still believe we cud have won the world cup had that goal been given - sh it teams win cup games, knockout football can be a lottery, and if we'd started performing 100%, our fate would still be decided by an incident like the one yesterday - there is no justice in knockout football. Delusion? - I admit, we were rubbish, but rubbish at 2-2 gives us a chance, rubbish at 2-1 and having to chase the game ends up in embarassment. The Germans scoring 2 at the end has clouded the real issue of injustice - this wud NEVER have happened in the manner it did if it was 2-2 with 20 minutes to go, every1 knows that, no matter what nationality. Had Ronaldo last time, a Sol Campbell dis-allowed goal in the last minute, a referee who wanted his name up in lights in France in 98, and now the most ridiculous decision yet. Something has to be done - least we know how the Irish feel now. Again, robbed !
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    No he couldn't, hence 4 goals conceded. Not robbed, outplayed, outgunned and outshone to be honest. Not having a go for the sake of it, it's just the facts the Germans were stereotypically ruthless and efficient, while England should change the lions to baby cats if you get my meaning.

p.s. blaming Ronaldo for Looney stamping on another mans gentlemans region? Another fantastic excuse.
  • edited June 2010

Forget the Lampard 'goal'!!!

I have Never seen us defend so badly in an international!

The only common denominator I could see was how badly each individual collapsed after a bad 'team' mistake!!

The two mistakes i am identifing that crushed the teams fragile confidence, [management has to be blamed for that], being;-

1, The Rob Green error, after actually a good start, the team then fell to pieces!

2, The first German goal, it  killed them, they were a shambles! GOLDEN Centre Back Rule, the ball must NEVER bounce from a GK kick, John Terry should be heading that all day long, HE RAN UNDERNEATH the kick, WHY?? Did he want to make Upson look bad, cause he did the whole game!!
    If the ball does bounce for any reason, The GK, James must clean everything out at the edge of box ish, Where the fak was he? the gerry took his only touch to score at ONE YARD, outside the 6yard box!!!!!!!!! after that we went to pot, they could have scored 6!!

I Know 'The Goal' would have brought us back to 2-2, and we may have fluked it with a punchers chance, if we got lucky, BUT if we fluked thru, Argentina would have beaten us by 6 Or 7!! serious.

Dont anyone point at the Slovenia result, they are a country as big as Wales, no offence

What sums up the incompetence of the FA chiefs... They gave Cappello a 6mill/year contract just before the tourney, FFS, making it probably better for him to bloody fail, and get the contract bought up!! LOLOLO! They gave their Donkey allthe carrotts before he'd started the REAL work!!!!!

I am glad I support Fulham, and dont have to watch those overpaid  ego's pose round the pitch every week!!!

COME ON JONNY PANTSIL & GHANA!!!

Now there's a true hero for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

• edited June 2010
    i read an interesting piece in todays paper which should get u all thinking,

the only teams england have beat in the knockout stages of the world cup especially over the last 24 years have included cameroon, belgium, ecuador and paraguay, not exactly big nations, and have failed to beat any of the bigger nations.

coincedence or a sheer lack of bottle
  • edited June 2010
    That is a BRILLIANT post Dave. John Terry....he's not even the best English centre half in London. I hope for Englands sake that he has played his last game/led his last dressing room revolt.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to So what went wrong with England?:

1/ Fabio stubborn xxxxxxx Cappelo - playing players out of position, substitions (i know it was to l8 anyway but bringing heskey on for defoe when you need 2 or 3 goals in 15-20 mins is a mystery to me). As Dohhhhhh said earlier playing 17 players in a friendly. The best managers know their best teams and stick to them.  Giving players just 2 hours to mentally prepare to play in what could be the biggest game of their lives. I could go on
    - laungauge barrier etc etc etc - He,s just a nob

2/ Emile donkey feet Heskey   - even Villa fans i know don,t want him in their team - His only noteworthy contribution was falling on our captain and putting him out for the tournament

3/ The ball - The germans have been practising with it for 6 months - we get there and just moan about it 

4/Premier Leauge season + FA cup + league cup = a lot longer season than other countries

Ps - I feel sorry for Peter Crouch. He helped us get here with his nearly a goal a game ratio and then gets dropped like a sack of xxxx

Unfortunately I don,t think we can afford to sack him and would anyone resign from a job paying 6 million for going to watch footy matches and meeting up every few months for qualifiers aginst the likes of Faroe islands  or similar. 
    Hopefully he,ll get that much stick he will be shamed into resigning

Its a bit late but bring on Harry Redknapp I say