You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is this a bad call?

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
hi i would like some advice on this hand plz, be grateful. Im playing cash 15/30p i raise £1.20 with k10 suited (hearts) it gets folded round to 1 other player he re pops it to £4.00 (i have £12 he has £45) i make the call the flop comes 10d 10c 3d i check opponent pushes the lot in and of course i snap call he shows AK off,the turn 9c and the river 6d. In the chatbox after i was told your so bad, how can you call blah blah blah. i would really appreciated some feedback on this please. was it really that bad a call?

Comments

• edited June 2010

The first thing i'd say is try to ignore what people say in the chatbox. A lot of the time it's just sour grapes because they've lost the pot and, people that make themselves out to be the best player ever by berating other players don't tend to be all that good. Certainly, if they were a good player, they wouldn't call you out in the chatbox, because they will think they've caught in a leak in your game which they can't expose if they tell you about it.

That said, in this instance, I would argue that your opponent was correct in that it was a questionable - but not bad - call. Firstly I love the open-raise (assuming nobody has limped before you), it allows you to define the hand a little bit and in most cases gives you the betting lead which is always a good thing when playing NLHE. However, you should only open-raise with marginal hands (which KT is, whether it's suited or not) if you know how to react when re-raised and you know how to play them post-flop.

The problem I have with the call is that to make the call you need to put in a third of your stack pre-flop, out of position with a marginal hand. Your hand becomes worse than marginal when you've been re-raised. Think of it this way, assuming we have no "reads" on this player, and he's fairly solid, then we can assume that he will re-raise you with 99+ and AJ+. What you should ask yourself when you get re-raised is: How does KT stand up against all those hands? Against 99 we're 50/50, against JJ and QQ we're something like 30/70, and against AJ and AQ we're 40/60, and of course we're crushed by KK and AA, and in bad shape against AK. So, the answer to that question is "quite badly". You have not got a deep enough stack to make it a profitable call in the long run, as you only had £12 at the start of the hand, so considering all of the above, and the fact that you're out of position, makes this a questionable call IMO.

Of course you made the call, hit a great flop and had an aggressive opponent who doubled you up, so this time it paid off for you. Just remember that you ain't going to flop trip 10's every day of the week.

But please don't listen too closely to what people say in the chatbox. It's your money you're playing with, so you can play with it however you like. If they don't like it, then tough.

• edited June 2010

thanks very much youngun for taking the time to give me that great advice, i usualy ignore abuse in the chatbox but it got to me and thats why i seeked advice, once again thanks. 

• edited June 2010
    Yeah, for me it's a bad call as your hand is quite weak plus your OOP so have to act first, finally you are short stacked so have no leverage to get him off big hands. Saying all that it's stiil not right for him to insult you in the chatbox, firstly as it's rude and secondly as he surely should be more nice to someone who is willing to make questionable calls OOP.
  • edited June 2010

It's a bad call against a tight player, you'll be behind.

Against a loose maniac who's always re-raising it can be justified, but you have to realise that if you don't hit the flop (67% of the time) you'll probably be forced to muck them.

If you haven't had long enough to evaluate his style it's also a bad call.

Ignore chatbox 'experts', they talk a load of garbage, switch chat off so you can concentrate on the cards.

• edited June 2010
    thanks gary, ye very true if i miss the flop i fold to his all in, about the player i felt as though he was mixing it up alot, so my thinking was call and see what happens! just the chatbox carry on it was as if i had commited the biggest poker sin... again thanks for the reply.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: is this a bad call?:
    The first thing i'd say is try to ignore what people say in the chatbox. A lot of the time it's just sour grapes because they've lost the pot and, people that make themselves out to be the best player ever by berating other players don't tend to be all that good. Certainly, if they were a good player, they wouldn't call you out in the chatbox, because they will think they've caught in a leak in your game which they can't expose if they tell you about it. That said, in this instance, I would argue that your opponent was correct in that it was a questionable - but not bad - call. Firstly I love the open-raise (assuming nobody has limped before you), it allows you to define the hand a little bit and in most cases gives you the betting lead which is always a good thing when playing NLHE. However, you should only open-raise with marginal hands (which KT is, whether it's suited or not) if you know how to react when re-raised and you know how to play them post-flop. The problem I have with the call is that to make the call you need to put in a third of your stack pre-flop, out of position with a marginal hand. Your hand becomes worse than marginal when you've been re-raised. Think of it this way, assuming we have no "reads" on this player, and he's fairly solid, then we can assume that he will re-raise you with 99+ and AJ+. What you should ask yourself when you get re-raised is: How does KT stand up against all those hands? Against 99 we're 50/50, against JJ and QQ we're something like 30/70, and against AJ and AQ we're 40/60, and of course we're crushed by KK and AA, and in bad shape against AK. So, the answer to that question is "quite badly". You have not got a deep enough stack to make it a profitable call in the long run, as you only had £12 at the start of the hand, so considering all of the above, and the fact that you're out of position, makes this a questionable call IMO. Of course you made the call, hit a great flop and had an aggressive opponent who doubled you up, so this time it paid off for you. Just remember that you ain't going to flop trip 10's every day of the week. But please don't listen too closely to what people say in the chatbox. It's your money you're playing with, so you can play with it however you like. If they don't like it, then tough.
    Posted by YoungUn
    very good post, as above and k T is a hand easily dominated i think its called reverse implied odds, as he says you both need to be deep to call a raise or reraise but then your only really looking to flop a straight draw with this hand, and more than two runners would be better still