You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice please

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi guys,

As usuall tonight i was tournament director for my league tournament. Whats different about tonight, was that another bigger company approched me. They offered me a commission based tournament director role with the role of also picking up new venues also on commission basis.

Now ive been with my current league system working for free for 6 months and ive watched the company go from weak to strong and back to weak after the area manager changed. Ive enjoyed my time with the league and would be wierd to leave.

But the league that has offered me this role is much bigger in name and size with the insentives of a wage. However the main role they want me to do is take out the current league and replace it with their better known league.

Kind of a moral dilema. Can anyone offer advice.

Don.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    You are unemployed, you love poker, you have been offered a poker related job, it's an easy decision, jump at it. Forget the other league, you have done good working for free, time to move on! Gotta do it sometime!
  • edited June 2010
  • edited June 2010

Emotional stuff Don.

How much r ur wages gonna be a week?
  • edited June 2010

NIKE-JUST DO IT
  • edited June 2010
    Gotta look out for number 1. 
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Advice please:
    Emotional stuff Don. How much r ur wages gonna be a week?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Completley commission based,

50p for every player at a venue i find and sign up. £1 for every player if im tournament director, £1.50 if i do both. So it would vary from week to week but thats 50p, £1 or £1.50 more than what i currently get.

As Blackfish said i think im jumping ship, ive thought about it last night and think its now the correct time to be a traitor. :D
  • edited June 2010
    Getting paid to do it will allow you to build a bankroll and play more. Goooo for it.

Tournament director is a very hard/important job and can either make tournaments go well or make them terrible. GL :-)
  • edited June 2010

Don - BE CAREFUL!

It depends upon who is making this offer to you, & what payment Terms he has proposed,& if you have them in writing.

Ask for an amount "up-front", & see what his reaction is.

There are some seriously "wide" operators in this market.

If you take all "your" players to a different operator, & your new man shafts you, you are gonna be in a tough spot!
  • edited June 2010
    Don - BE CAREFUL! It depends upon who is making this offer to you, & what payment Terms he has proposed,& if you have them in writing. Ask for an amount "up-front", & see what his reaction is. There are some seriously "wide" operators in this market. If you take all "your" players to a different operator, & your new man shafts you, you are gonna be in a tough spot!
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ive got a meeting next week, where im going to request a full written contract with all the payments. The company in question is a very well known company and is nationally branded, i wont mention names here.

The guy seems fairly decent, although that is based on only what i know, as youve said he could well be conning. However thats why im going to go for the written contract so that i do have some sort of leagal case.

Thanks for the advice Tikay once again helped me out again.
  • edited June 2010
    Don - BE CAREFUL! It depends upon who is making this offer to you, & what payment Terms he has proposed,& if you have them in writing. Ask for an amount "up-front", & see what his reaction is. There are some seriously "wide" operators in this market. If you take all "your" players to a different operator, & your new man shafts you, you are gonna be in a tough spot!
    Posted by Tikay10
    i agree
    think with your head not your heart :)
  • edited June 2010
    if all seems ok after your meeting don then i would not let the other league stand in your way and go for the new job.
    but as tikay sez do be carful and cover your back remember your a poker player and should never get conned :)

all the best
  • edited June 2010
    All that glitters .........

Take Tikay's advice and get the very best terms with guarantees up front. At this moment they need and want you more than you do them. This is the only time you will be in such a strong position so make it count. Being shafted by large organisations is all part of business and as one who was shafted a long time ago, get it right first time. GL
  • edited June 2010
    All that glitters ......... Take Tikay's advice and get the very best terms with guarantees up front. At this moment they need and want you more than you do them. This is the only time you will be in such a strong position so make it count. Being shafted by large organisations is all part of business and as one who was shafted a long time ago, get it right first time. GL
    Posted by elsadog
    Thanks Elsadog, ive had an informal meeting last night when they offered me the job and i said i would take time to consider, i then posted this.

I was on the phone to the guy who offered me it today and he seemed really pleased id responded, i told him id considered and wanted to get more information. He gave me all the information i requested so ive arranged a final face to face meeting next time hes in the area,

As the above comment to yourself said im a poker player, i shouldnt be connable, but then everyone has a weak spot, so this face to face meeting is where im going to use this position of strenth and get the garentees. They want a local to take over the area, and going by my current league thats between me and my boss, but my boss has no interest in jumping ship, so as a result i think i have a very strong hand to play. I now just need to remember how to play it correctly.

Thanks all guys for the advice/