You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

To coin flip or not to coin flip?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Winning your races is obviously key to go deep in tournament poker , but just wondered at what stage do people think you should be calling a bet when you are as certain as you possibly can be that it is going to be a race. Here is an example from last nights open.

About 55 mins in 
Blinds 100/200
My stack 4500
I raise to 600 from cut off with AQ, where it is folded round to big blind
he goes all in for 2555

Have been on table for a while, opponent seems aggressive ish but not madman so sure they have a hand, likely to be in a race so I have decision to make? Later on in tournament I would snap call, more of decision earlier in tournament but if opponent only had 12 bb's then I would probably call.

But in this mid period, still no where near cash, but with average chip stack is it an instant fold or does this depend on whether you are just looking to cash or you want to win tournament.

I called opponent showed 88 and his pair held up leaving me with at the time 8/9 bb's.

Be interesting to here peoples thoughts?

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Taking the small stacks into consideration I'd say it was a fair call probably mate if you did indeed have that kind of read on him. Were there deeper stacks you could get off it with less of a problem
  • edited June 2010

He can easily do that with a worse ace and if you are indeed in a race it's not the end of the world. Imo I would take the chance that you will have him dominated some of the time so it's an easy call.

• edited June 2010
    In Response to To coin flip or not to coin flip?:
    Winning your races is obviously key to go deep in tournament poker , but just wondered at what stage do people think you should be calling a bet when you are as certain as you possibly can be that it is going to be a race. Here is an example from last nights open. About 55 mins in  Blinds 100/200 My stack 4500 I raise to 600 from cut off with AQ, where it is folded round to big blind he goes all in for 2555 Have been on table for a while, opponent seems aggressive ish but not madman so sure they have a hand, likely to be in a race so I have decision to make? Later on in tournament I would snap call, more of decision earlier in tournament but if opponent only had 12 bb's then I would probably call. But in this mid period, still no where near cash, but with average chip stack is it an instant fold or does this depend on whether you are just looking to cash or you want to win tournament. I called opponent showed 88 and his pair held up leaving me with at the time 8/9 bb's. Be interesting to here peoples thoughts? Thanks Matt
    Posted by mattless
    i think this is a snap call, i dont know the dynamamics of the table but you have opened in late position and his resteal range with 12 BBs is pretty wide, if he does wake up with the hand he did then you race worse ways walking out of it with 8/9 BBs
  • edited June 2010
  • edited June 2010
    If chip stacks are reversed and I am betting for my tourny is it still a call in everybodys opinion or too early to take a race and look for a better spot where I'm shoving with my remaining 8/9 bb's
  • edited June 2010
    if we had less chips then yes it's still a go with your hand moment. there are some confrontations that you cant get away from.
  • edited July 2010
    I like this post, something I`m always wondring myself.  Are we ever folding this to a raise, even if it is a shove from a stack bigger than ours?, If not, why arent we shoving first?