You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Scottish Bias

edited July 2010 in The Shed
For those of you that havn't been in the world cup section, i have to admit that i was a bit disparaging towards the Scottish for berating England after we were knocked out of the world cup. A lot were saying that we English keep going on about '66 and our world cup chances. Well today i laughed my socks off! I was reading a well known national paper and they ran a story about Andy Murray and Wimbledon. The main heading was 'English based Andy roars into the semi's' The first line of the story carried this biased slant on about Andy i live, work and train in the home counties lol. Can i presume that if he gets knocked out by Rafael Nadal, it will read 'Scotland's Andy Murray fails' Now i know you Scots up there are paranoid about us English talking like this, a bit like when 'British athlete' Liz McColgan won the London marathon, at the next Olympics it was Scotland's Liz McColgan collapses! But can i take this moment to apologise for this blatant bias and assure you all, we aren't all like that - really we aren't, but at the same time it really made me laugh, sorry my jock buddies!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Scottish Bias:
    For those of you that havn't been in the world cup section, i have to admit that i was a bit disparaging towards the Scottish for berating England after we were knocked out of the world cup. A lot were saying that we English keep going on about '66 and our world cup chances. Well today i laughed my socks off! I was reading a well known national paper and they ran a story about Andy Murray and Wimbledon. The main heading was 'English based Andy roars into the semi's' The first line of the story carried this biased slant on about Andy i live, work and train in the home counties lol. Can i presume that if he gets knocked out by Rafael Nadal, it will read 'Scotland's Andy Murray fails' Now i know you Scots up there are paranoid about us English talking like this, a bit like when 'British athlete' Liz McColgan won the London marathon, at the next Olympics it was Scotland's Liz McColgan collapses! But can i take this moment to apologise for this blatant bias and assure you all, we aren't all like that - really we aren't, but at the same time it really made me laugh, sorry my jock buddies!
    Posted by loonytoons
    Now you know why so many Scots have a chip (and battered mars bar) on their shoulder about the English media! Your apology is accepted on their behalf though loony.

tbh, I had to laugh and shake my head at the patheticness and ridulousness of it. Andy Murray is as English as haggis flavoured bagpipes. He's even got the sense to be a Hibee.

I think Andy's done well to tone down his Scots patriotism of late. If the English meedja are wanting him to don tartan at Wimbledon they're doing their best though. Idiots.
  • edited July 2010
    Loonytoons
    its all good banter m8
    and yes mandy murray is scottish again .

• edited July 2010
    What a loser!! SCOTLANDS Andy Murray flops and fails miserably - again. he is the new Tim Henman!!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Scottish Bias:
    What a loser!! SCOTLANDS Andy Murray flops and fails miserably - again. he is the new Tim Henman!!
    Posted by loonytoons
    lol
  • edited July 2010
    Andy Murray's "anyone but England" comment a few years back (which he very quickly claimed to be a joke under advice from his agent/manager) will NEVER be forgotton.

Some of my best mates are Scottish however every now and again you come across the odd one who constantly carp (as opposed to an acceptable degree of banter/moaning) about how they hate England even though they've chosen to come and live down here.

At times it's tempting to give them quite an obvious piece of advice.
  • edited July 2010
    Andy Murray's "anyone but England" comment a few years back (which he very quickly claimed to be a joke under advice from his agent/manager) will NEVER be forgotton. Some of my best mates are Scottish however every now and again you come across the odd one who constantly carp (as opposed to an acceptable degree of banter/moaning) about how they hate England even though they've chosen to come and live down here. At times it's tempting to give them quite an obvious piece of advice.
    Posted by Dud_Butini
    I know what you mean Butini. Banter and sporting rivarly are expected but some are just ridiculous. How can you hate some-one because of which country they were born in? Madness.

I've a good few mates living dahn sath and none of them are like that though.

As an aside, the only time I've experienced racism was when me and a few of my family got a taxi from Gatwick to a Hotel close by. We had 3 under 5s with us and couldn't possibly cross all the roads. The fat cockney c#nt dropped us off and then started cursing us badly for being "tight Jock c#nts". In front of 3 U5s. Not nice.

Me, personally? I'm like Socrates and am "of the world". Proud to be Scottish but it's no big thing really. Could have been born anywhere.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Scottish Bias : I know what you mean Butini. Banter and sporting rivarly are expected but some are just ridiculous. How can you hate some-one because of which country they were born in? Madness. I've a good few mates living dahn sath and none of them are like that though. As an aside, the only time I've experienced racism was when me and a few of my family got a taxi from Gatwick to a Hotel close by. We had 3 under 5s with us and couldn't possibly cross all the roads. The fat cockney c#nt dropped us off and then started cursing us badly for being "tight Jock c#nts". In front of 3 U5s. Not nice. Me, personally? I'm like Socrates and am "of the world". Proud to be Scottish but it's no big thing really. Could have been born anywhere.
    Posted by bandini
    To be fair, he could have and probably does insert a different nationality in the middle of that phrase all the time. You would probably find that he is an assole to everyone, you get them everywhere.
  • edited July 2010
    You're bang on there Bandini, everyone should be proud of where they come from just because.....
       Sadly Loonys bang on as well ignorant people are born everywhere !