You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

world cup farce

we should have a televised debate on "do footballers earn too much money for the product they provide"? a present footballer,70's-80's players,managers & chairman.we would have fans in the audience venting their opinions.i would love to Chair !!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Good idea, could you also ask if there was any truth in the rumour of a falling out between Gerrard and Terry causing a split in the dressing room and any truth about Shrek getting up to his OLD tricks again
  • edited July 2010
    Even the most ardent Chelsea fan would have to admit that John Terry is a liability. Hitman_RV mentioned it on a thread somewhere....."The ball should not be going over the head of a centre-half from a goal kick". FACT.

If he spent more time trying to stick to the basics on-field, rather than causing aggro in the dressing room then England would have a lot less problems. Players should be told in no uncertain terms what they are there to do. Play. Simple.
  • edited July 2010
    Take it Tara is talking about the rumour of Gerrard enjoying things Ugandan (read old private eyes for meaning) though to be fair he kept it in the family. Pip pip
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: world cup farce:
    Even the most ardent Chelsea fan would have to admit that John Terry is a liability. Hitman_RV mentioned it on a thread somewhere....."The ball should not be going over the head of a centre-half from a goal kick". FACT. If he spent more time trying to stick to the basics on-field, rather than causing aggro in the dressing room then England would have a lot less problems. Players should be told in no uncertain terms what they are there to do. Play. Simple.
    Posted by emilyegg
    read in todays paper the germans game plan was to play on terrys ego and need to chase every ball irrelevent if it opened the whole defence up. which is exactly what happened
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: world cup farce : read in todays paper the germans game plan was to play on terrys ego and need to chase every ball irrelevent if it opened the whole defence up. which is exactly what happened
    Posted by BADBOY985
    Interesting to read that BADBOY, I am not anti-Chelsea in any way (they have some superb players) but (imo) Terry has got away with murder on the pitch for years, but luckily for him he has been surrounded by top players.

Before Abramovich came in at Stamford Bridge, it is said that JT was on his way to Newcastle United after a bid had been accepted. Done deal by all accounts and only halted when the new regime rolled in.

With regard to the ability of John Terry, he is just a rich mans Titus Bramble.
  • edited July 2010
    LOL....Not sure about the Titus Bramble comparison Em but i agree he is a right liability for sure. He a rse d our world cup team up before it all began.

Since he missed that champions league final penalty he has been on self destruct and not very good as a player.

His antics and jealousy and gobbiness has contributed to a low mood for his England team mates. But in this great world of what ifs, the biggest mistake of our world cup campaign was to choose Green. His school boy error led us away from Ghana and Uruguay and straight to the Germans and Argentina. Heskey not being able to hit a donkeys a rs e with a banjo didnt help either.
  • edited July 2010
    Yes Wartic ,1st it was the Ronnie Whelan situation now its the family job. Terry unhappy to lose captains armband for similiar offence, rumours gathering speed but haven't read anything official yet
  • edited July 2010
    Even the most ardent Chelsea fan would have to admit that John Terry is a liability. Hitman_RV mentioned it on a thread somewhere....."The ball should not be going over the head of a centre-half from a goal kick". FACT. If he spent more time trying to stick to the basics on-field, rather than causing aggro in the dressing room then England would have a lot less problems. Players should be told in no uncertain terms what they are there to do. Play. Simple.
    Posted by emilyegg
    Below is mi post, after hearig everyoun bleat on about we would have won if Lamps goal had bee allowed, bit old hat now week later lol:-

Forget the Lampard 'goal'!!!

I have Never seen us defend so badly in an international!

The only common denominator I could see was how badly each individual collapsed after a bad 'team' mistake!!

The two mistakes i am identifing that crushed the teams fragile confidence, [management has to be blamed for that], being;-

1, The Rob Green error, after actually a good start, the team then fell to pieces!

2, The first German goal, it  killed them, they were a shambles! GOLDEN Centre Back Rule, the ball must NEVER bounce from a GK kick, John Terry should be heading that all day long, HE RAN UNDERNEATH the kick, WHY?? Did he want to make Upson look bad, cause he did the whole game!!
    If the ball does bounce for any reason, The GK, James must clean everything out at the edge of box ish, Where the fak was he? the gerry took his only touch to score at ONE YARD, outside the 6yard box!!!!!!!!! after that we went to pot, they could have scored 6!!

I Know 'The Goal' would have brought us back to 2-2, and we may have fluked it with a punchers chance, if we got lucky, BUT if we fluked thru, Argentina would have beaten us by 6 Or 7!! serious.

Dont anyone point at the Slovenia result, they are a country as big as Wales, no offence

What sums up the incompetence of the FA chiefs... They gave Cappello a 6mill/year contract just before the tourney, FFS, making it probably better for him to bloody fail, and get the contract bought up!! LOLOLO! They gave their Donkey allthe carrotts before he'd started the REAL work!!!!!

I am glad I support Fulham, and dont have to watch those overpaid  ego's pose round the pitch every week!!!

COME ON JONNY PANTSIL & GHANA!!!

Now there's a true hero for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

• edited July 2010
    The above was written before the Gerries spanked the Argies lol

I am actually extremley impressed with the germans organisation & counter attack ply, they always makes the rite decisions at key moments.......... unlike that Boetang geezer , he was useless ffs, and all the commentators raving over him lol!!............

He should have easily headed, instead of the overhead kick, and when breaking missed 2/3 clear thru passes, reminded me of Luis boa Morte , a real clown who people think is great lol and i'm a FFC supporter
  • edited July 2010
    2, The first German goal, it  killed them, they were a shambles! GOLDEN Centre Back Rule, the ball must NEVER bounce from a GK kick, John Terry should be heading that all day long, HE RAN UNDERNEATH the kick, WHY?? Did he want to make Upson look bad, cause he did the whole game!! If the ball does bounce for any reason, The GK, James must clean everything out at the edge of box ish, Where the fak was he? the gerry took his only touch to score at ONE YARD, outside the 6yard box!!!!!!!!!

This.  I play centre back for a poor Sunday league team, rule is simple, one centre back challanges for the ball whilst the other centre back and full back cover behind.  Keeper starts on the penalty spot.  Basic stuff...

If my team ever conceed a goal like that, i'd probably quit!!!
  • edited July 2010
    2, The first German goal, it  killed them, they were a shambles! GOLDEN Centre Back Rule, the ball must NEVER bounce from a GK kick, John Terry should be heading that all day long, HE RAN UNDERNEATH the kick, WHY?? Did he want to make Upson look bad, cause he did the whole game!! If the ball does bounce for any reason, The GK, James must clean everything out at the edge of box ish, Where the fak was he? the gerry took his only touch to score at ONE YARD, outside the 6yard box!!!!!!!!! This.  I play centre back for a poor Sunday league team, rule is simple, one centre back challanges for the ball whilst the other centre back and full back cover behind.  Keeper starts on the penalty spot.  Basic stuff... If my team ever conceed a goal like that, i'd probably quit!!!
    Posted by Patching99
    Nice One Patch!!

Exactley!

I  thank you sir, Cant even say schoolboy error! !Even when very young & coached by proper coaches, not Mcdonalds trianed frustrated parents lol, you were taught to get ball moving forward with knee or body, if u could not get head to it!!

I Remember Bill McGarry Wolves, being polite to me when bout 13/14, fac kin hurt alot to keep heading ball when i was littlle[ still am] lol, he taught me the knee trick, if it bounces  momentum is with forwards, down the corridor of uncertainty, where a brave hard centre forward will kill your keeper!!

James knew this, which is why he shirked backwards, ending up under his crossbar FFS lol!!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: world cup farce : Nice One Patch!! Exactley! I  thank you sir, Cant even say schoolboy error! !Even when very young & coached by proper coaches, not Mcdonalds trianed frustrated parents lol, you were taught to get ball moving forward with knee or body, if u could not get head to it!! I Remember Bill McGarry Wolves, being polite to me when bout 13/14, fac kin hurt alot to keep heading ball when i was littlle[ still am] lol, he taught me the knee trick, if it bounces  momentum is with forwards, down the corridor of uncertainty, where a brave hard centre forward will kill your keeper!! James knew this, which is why he shirked backwards, ending up under his crossbar FFS lol!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    HEY Hitman ! seems a bit unfair i coached my boys under 17 side til last year and although we took more then our fair share of beatings the lads NEVER defended like Englands back 4 if they did i would have considered fitting them with sat navs,lol. The 3rd goal was just as bad, over a 3rd of the game left and we've got 9 players in and around the opps 18yrd box, total skool boy stuff.
    Incidentally one of the teams we played last year was coached by David Harlow (nice bloke) ex Fulham ? i was told 
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: world cup farce : Nice One Patch!! Exactley! I  thank you sir, Cant even say schoolboy error! !Even when very young & coached by proper coaches, not Mcdonalds trianed frustrated parents lol, you were taught to get ball moving forward with knee or body, if u could not get head to it!! I Remember Bill McGarry Wolves, being polite to me when bout 13/14, fac kin hurt alot to keep heading ball when i was littlle[ still am] lol, he taught me the knee trick, if it bounces  momentum is with forwards, down the corridor of uncertainty, where a brave hard centre forward will kill your keeper!! James knew this, which is why he shirked backwards, ending up under his crossbar FFS lol!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    I know what you mean, I was at training one week and saw an under 11 being taught by his coach(not sure I can type what he really is) how to do a long throw in, and was then left on his own to practice!!!!  To say I was shocked and angry would be an understatement and shows where England goes wrong, bet they don't even have throw ins in Holland until under 16 level.  

Taras - I'm sure there are some very good coaches out there, but some are truly awful. 
  • edited July 2010
    So much simple coaching could be implemented.

Kids shouldn't even be on a full size pitch until they are at least 14, and much like Patching says above, I can remember hearing a coach telling a kid that he needed to learn to "Hoof it as far as you can". Quality.

From my own experience, (aged about 12) I can remember one of our own coaches Giving us a "Size 4" ball to use in training. Such a simple thing made such a difference. He was also a fan of trying to educate us in keeping our shape. Two-touch bounce games with the playing area split into three zones was an easy way of learning some positional awareness.

Used to be fun in these Two-touch games when the "ball" would be swapped for a rugby ball now and again. Didn't half improve your close control when you reverted back to a football!!!!!
  • edited July 2010
    Completely agree Emilyegg

It should be 4-7 a side max on a small pitch till about 12.  Means everyone is involved and having loads of touches etc.  You have zones that have to be passed through that cuts out the hoof.  Not rocket science just basic stuff.

I think the fact an area has to be marked out on underage pitches for the parents to remain in says a lot about over zealous parents putting far too much pressure on their child winning instead of enjoying playing the game.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: world cup farce : HEY Hitman ! seems a bit unfair i coached my boys under 17 side til last year and although we took more then our fair share of beatings the lads NEVER defended like Englands back 4 if they did i would have considered fitting them with sat navs,lol. The 3rd goal was just as bad, over a 3rd of the game left and we've got 9 players in and around the opps 18yrd box, total skool boy stuff. Incidentally one of the teams we played last year was coached by David Harlow (nice bloke) ex Fulham ? i was told 
    Posted by -TARAS-
    Sorry Taras,

No offense intended to any of the thousands of parents/coaches who just want to see their kids have a good time!

Just commenting on my experiances, the few times I mananged to watch mi boyz playin, cause was always away playin myself, on the incompetance and downrite almost chavvy-ness of some[not all] of the people runnin & watching kids football in my area,  West London!

To the point I took them down the local Rugby club, Ruislip, where i knew they would be looked after, and taught a sport ethic, the times i could not be there, by 'proper' people that i knew & trusted!
    Both boys ended up captaining their age group for a time, with Craig representin & captaining Middlesex!
    Unfortunately injury prevents both from playin now, but they learnt life lessons from Rugby they could not have got from football, and I'm football thru & thru , never played Rugby!!!!

David Harlow does ring a bell with me, googled him seemed he was manager at leatherhaed for a bit, but all i could find. Leatherhead Fc do have alot of connections with Fulham over the years tho!!!!!!!

Good posts from everyone tho

gl all
  • edited July 2010
    No offense taken at all Hitman just yanking your chain a wee bit.Tbh i only started coaching a few years ago coz i got fed up with the standard of coaching my boy was getting, final straw came when his coach insisted he stand in front of the guy he was marking from a throw in.Problem is some parents do their 1st level coaching badge and then become experts. having never really played. Although i didn't do my badge i played from 6/7 for school,church, cub scouts and sunday league basically wherever i could get a game so had a decent understanding.
    i was amazed having taken over a bunch of 14 year olds how technically and tactically naive they were basically all they could do well was juggle and swear and what they wanted to do was shoot(strangely not in a match) and dribble.Had to start with the boring basics of trapping.control and 1st touch etc and then took ages to stop them passing to feet when on the move, creating angles offensively and cutting angles defensively. Fortunately i do a 4 day week so a couple days a week in the summer i could train them, went through box work 2 forwards  1 defender then 3 forwards 2 defenders etc so they could see how their roles change in the same position but for diff scenarios. Difference between attacking and defending headers, how to time tackles, how to psh players on their weaker foot etc. Their roles and positions in defending and attacking all dead ball situations and communication on the field. This took about two months,during which i had to think up different types of drills to get my message accross, prob was we started with 15 lads which immediately dropped to about 10 when they realised it was gonna be hard work and then built up to 20 or so coz their mates came along from other teams.Fortunately i got a mate who has a level 2 and has run teams 4 over 20 yrs 4 his 3 boys and he brought with him a mate who had his level 3 and normally charges(but didn't, he used to be one of the kids my mate first managed and my m8 was so proud when he got his level 3 )
    Difference in my day was it was so easy to join a team cheaply, these days with pitches costing £90 and refs £30 had to charge the boys £150 for the season so a lot of lads dropped out coz at least 8 of them didn't have dads.Sometimes when the boys didn't show 4 matches or training their mums would phone and say they had banned their kids coz it was the only thing they could do to punish them 4 gettin into trouble(boys were gang affiliated usually youngers in Croydon and Norwood area)
    I feel football in this country is slowly being smothered at grass root level due to cost and amazingly access to teams and half decent coaching. Growing up, my gangs were my football teams ive learnt some lads get that same sense of belonging from gangs alone  coz they can't afford football.
     Running a small club is extremely time consuming, ringing 10 refs a week, arranging pitches, transport for away matches and making time for training and matches not to mention costly.(no more overtime for Sundays)However i got a great missus who did all the paperwork of which there was loads, application forms concent forms passport photos,birth certificates, subs etc, she also used to run the line coz only one dad would show.(he would be upset most of the time coz he didn't understand why 14,15 and 16yr olds didn'play like Arsenal) 
    So i agree with you mate it is a shame youngsters aren't trained better , however im just grateful that some dads for whatever reason do make the effort to run the smaller clubs coz at least some kids get the benefit of playing in a proper team on a proper pitch with a proper ref instead of getting into some proper trouble   
     Sounds like your boys were on the right road m8 sorry to see injury stopped them.My m8 Moonhead71 who plays on this site, he would somtimes ref for me and hes an avid Fulham supporter it was him who mentioned it to me. I should mention Moonie is (lol)or maybe was a decent footie player and he would come and help with the training.
    Reading over this i hope it doesn't sound stroppy, i certainly didn't mean it to be.
    Regards 
  • edited July 2010

Spot on Taras

It is getting harder and more expensive to run a football team.  Guess its the same with all sports.
    Renting a Council pitch went up from £20 to £30 in one season which is a ridiculous increase. (Council don't charge dog walkers to use it and leave plop everywhere though)
    Refs went up a fiver.
    The Northants FA charge £20 to enter the town cup but if you want to opt out you have to write a letter explaining why along with a £20 cheque, go figure? £20 to take part, £20 to not...

Then you have the FA end of year accounts come through with a statement bragging how they raised over £100,000 from yellow card fines for the first time ever.  Granted fines are required but refs have told me how they are "encouraged" to book at least two people each game.

And then to top it all off the England Manager contract is changed so it would cost £12million to get rid of him.  How many grass roots teams would that support, thousands!

• edited July 2010
    Lordy, never realised how much it costs for the kids to "play" Football nowadays. In a word....Shocking.

All the governing bodies seem to make a fortune though?!?!

No wonder Football is suffering at grass roots level. Sad.