You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did i play this wrong?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
On a note to this, id played 4 hands, in that time taken one player out before this. This was the third set of blind levels aswell so had an extremely tight image on the table. Player "a" had not long joined the table.

Player x took me out 3 hands later with KQ against my AQ.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    xSmall blind  25.00 25.00 2485.00
    The_Don90 Big blind  50.00 75.00 3310.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

aRaise  200.00 275.00 2020.00
    B4UGO Fold     
    Thedoctor9 Fold     
    VILLAGEIDI Fold     
    xCall  175.00 450.00 2310.00
    The_Don90 Raise  750.00 1200.00 2560.00
    aCall  600.00 1800.00 1420.00
    xCall  600.00 2400.00 1710.00
    Flop

• Q

xCheck     
    The_Don90 All-in  2560.00 4960.00 0.00
    aFold     
    xAll-in  1710.00 6670.00 0.00
    The_Don90 Unmatched bet  850.00 5820.00 850.00
    xShow
    • J

The_Don90 Show
    • A
    • A

Turn

• K

River

xWin Straight to the King 5820.00  5820.00
  • edited July 2010
    I see these kinds of posts a lot, not just off you. For some reason people think that when they lose they must only concentrate on the fact that they have lost no matter how big of a favourite they was when the money went in.

In this hand for example, you got your money in a 65% favourite. This means that you are getting your money in a favourite and can expect to win the hand over a long period of time. Thus making it profitable, no matter what happens in the particular hand at that particular time. As long as you get your money in consistently as you did above, you will profit in the long run.

Hope this makes sense.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Did i play this wrong?:
    I see these kinds of posts a lot, not just off you. For some reason people think that when they lose they must only concentrate on the fact that they have lost no matter how big of a favourite they was when the money went in. In this hand for example, you got your money in a 65% favourite. This means that you are getting your money in a favourite and can expect to win the hand over a long period of time. Thus making it profitable, no matter what happens in the particular hand at that particular. As long as you get your money in consistently as you did above, you will profit in the long run. Hope this makes sense.
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    Yea, i understand that.

The reason why i posted it is im woundering did i show weakness somewhere to let a hand like JT off suit get into the flop in the first place.
  • edited July 2010
    Well you raised 3.5x his bet, so that is by no means weak, also remember that you want hands like 10 J to call, as when they flop top pair or middle pair and cant fold, you are going to take their stack.
  • edited July 2010
    for christs sake, you know you did nothing wrong just another bad beat moan
  • edited July 2010
    for christs sake, you know you did nothing wrong just another bad beat moan
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    Lol, well at least I tried to sugar-coat it.
  • edited July 2010
    Shove Pre-flop and let God decide.

As played x has caused you a little problem as he's given added value to the JT man.  It's a loose call still but he's suddenly put a third of his stack in, so any decent flop (including the OESD) and he's going to call.  JT's overplayed in general but it's overplayed for a reason as it's a great straight hunter.

With the stacks of the two villains and the action before you, I seriously shove the lot in the middle, happy to scoop the dead money with just one pair and happy to be called knowing I'm ahead preflop.
  • edited July 2010
    Shove Pre-flop and let God decide. As played x has caused you a little problem as he's given added value to the JT man.  It's a loose call still but he's suddenly put a third of his stack in, so any decent flop (including the OESD) and he's going to call.  JT's overplayed in general but it's overplayed for a reason as it's a great straight hunter. With the stacks of the two villains and the action before you, I seriously shove the lot in the middle, happy to scoop the dead money with just one pair and happy to be called knowing I'm ahead preflop.
    Posted by TommyD
    Thanks Tommy.

I had thought of this as the other option aftwerwards and was the main reason i posted the hand to see if others agreed.
  • edited July 2010
    You played the hand perfect & just got unlucky, END OF FFS !!!!

Tommy why shove there is does not make sense ?????????

Don out of curiosity what was the buy-in ? (im guessing £2 or under)
  • edited July 2010
    You played the hand perfect & just got unlucky, END OF FFS !!!! Tommy why shove there is does not make sense ????????? Don out of curiosity what was the buy-in ? (im guessing £2 or under)
    Posted by goodylad21
    Spot on mate £2. I asked the guy afterwards nicley why he called he said he thought i had nothing. Not sure why anyone would make a move like that with nothing.

Thanks for the comment, as i said above i was unsure weather my raise or an all in was better.
  • edited July 2010
    Bet flop for ~800 rather than shoving just over pot, just a nit picking, Cow and lynx hit the nail on the head though.
  • edited July 2010
    I see these kinds of posts a lot, not just off you. For some reason people think that when they lose they must only concentrate on the fact that they have lost no matter how big of a favourite they was when the money went in. In this hand for example, you got your money in a 65% favourite. This means that you are getting your money in a favourite and can expect to win the hand over a long period of time. Thus making it profitable, no matter what happens in the particular hand at that particular time. As long as you get your money in consistently as you did above, you will profit in the long run. Hope this makes sense.
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    LOL i love this post, you must of been in SUCH a good mood to write this all out... did you just 2 outer someone for 2000BBs?
  • edited July 2010
    Bet flop for ~800 rather than shoving just over pot, just a nit picking, Cow and lynx hit the nail on the head though.
    Posted by beaneh
    Thanks Beaneh ill take that to note in future. I had seen the draw for 10J and wasnt 100% certain of who had what, mostly because i was distracted watching football and thought ill shove and hope they all fold. Unfortunetly one guy called and hit the straight.

Glad i played the hand mostly correctly couple of possiblities on different ways to play it but as long as its played mostly correct then thats all good.
  • edited July 2010
    I don't pass J10 either ... J10 is zee nutzzz
  • edited July 2010
    I don't pass J10 either ... J10 is zee nutzzz
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Any hand you play is theeee nutz innit - you run sooooo good ;)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Did i play this wrong? : Thanks Beaneh ill take that to note in future. I had seen the draw for 10J and wasnt 100% certain of who had what, mostly because i was distracted watching football and thought ill shove and hope they all fold. Unfortunetly one guy called and hit the straight. Glad i played the hand mostly correctly couple of possiblities on different ways to play it but as long as its played mostly correct then thats all good.
    Posted by The_Don90
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?! I think this highlights a major flaw in your thinking.
    Don't hope they fold, hope they call and you win. Stop worrying about losing and take a trip to value town. I here it's nice there this time of year.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Did i play this wrong? : WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?! I think this highlights a major flaw in your thinking. Don't hope they fold, hope they call and you win. Stop worrying about losing and take a trip to value town. I here it's nice there this time of year.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Yea thanks blackfish, been working on a few new things over the coarse of the night, and been picking up alot more for my bigger hands, and losing less on the losing end of things.
  • edited July 2010
    Yes you played it wrong.
  • edited July 2010
    You played the hand perfect & just got unlucky, END OF FFS !!!! Tommy why shove there is does not make sense ????????? Don out of curiosity what was the buy-in ? (im guessing £2 or under)
    Posted by goodylad21
    Because Aces don't shove there.  Sevens shove there.  So one of the people you're up against might call you with a marginal thinking you've got sevens when you've got Aces.  Their calls preflop practically pot commit both of them (certainly one of them), so why not look for the call when you are definitely ahead and get it all in.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Did i play this wrong? : Any hand you play is theeee nutz innit - you run sooooo good ;)
    Posted by dylan12

Good read Dylan.
  • edited July 2010
    its a £2 tournament, people just look at their cards and click call. no need to try and out-level people.