You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can I ever get off this?

ybyb
edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Against most players this would be an instant fist-pump all-in, but this opponent is a passive reg who never makes moves so when he 4-bet me on the flop I feared the worst but couldn't fold at that point because there was so much in the middle. So can I ever get off this? Should I be flatting his original raise when I know that by 3 betting I'm pretty much folding out any hand that I'm in front of? How deep would you say you would need to be to get off bottom set? Because surely if I'm always stacking off with bottom set no matter how deep and the villain will only stack off with top 2 pair or better when say >200bbs deep (and obviously in this spot 2 pair is impossible) then its very -EV right? Fwiw he never has JJ here ever so can I really slow down knowing there's only 1 hand that crushes me?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
HITMAN_RV Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £98.50
inn22deep Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £179.32
  Your hole cards

yb Raise   £4.00 £5.50 £189.00
villain Call   £4.00 £9.50 £257.27
A1_SCADGE All-in   £9.51 £19.01 £0.00
varney Fold        
HITMAN_RV Fold        
inn22deep Fold        
yb Call   £5.51 £24.52 £183.49
villain Call   £5.51 £30.03 £251.76
Flop

• J

yb Bet   £20.00 £50.03 £163.49
villain Raise   £46.00 £96.03 £205.76
yb Raise   £93.00 £189.03 £70.49
villain All-in   £205.76 £394.79 £0.00
yb All-in   £70.49 £465.28 £0.00
villain Unmatched bet   £68.27 £397.01 £68.27
yb Show

villain Show

A1_SCADGE Show
  • J
  • J

Comments

• edited July 2010
     Well their is know way I could!
  • edited July 2010
    I'm never folding here.

But I'm also not 3 betting flop.  I flat and look to get money in turn.  

Depends which reg it was.  There are a couple of drawing hands that he could be playing this deep...45/35ss and he can get involved pre at 200bb deep.

Then again there are a couple of passive regs that do appear to be brain dead so 666 must be the only hands that he can have here.  I think we all know which regs they are....
  • edited July 2010
    When someone asks that question they usually never can.
  • edited July 2010
    Not for me, when you flop ya set to then fold you have to have some serious reads.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Can I ever get off this?:
    I'm never folding here. But I'm also not 3 betting flop.  I flat and look to get money in turn.   Depends which reg it was.  There are a couple of drawing hands that he could be playing this deep...45/35ss and he can get involved pre at 200bb deep. Then again there are a couple of passive regs that do appear to be brain dead so 666 must be the only hands that he can have here.  I think we all know which regs they are....
    Posted by scotty77
    Lol yeah, when you say brain dead he would be the first name that would come to mind!!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Can I ever get off this? : Lol yeah, when you say brain dead he would be the first name that would come to mind!!
    Posted by yb
    Don't remember the hand but now got a bad feeling it's me....

I stack off here as well being a set-addict.  I totally agree with Scotty, you have to know the reg really well to fold here.
  • edited July 2010
    i'm bet calling this flop, there are honestly some people you can prob bet fold it against and we all know who they are lol  :PICARD:

Once you 3 bet you're not folding though this deep it is pretty grim, hence why I would bet call because I think it keeps in a wider range of hands than 3 betting the flop does and allows him to continue with worse/draws if he's capable.

Also what other hands would you play like this in all reality? (not many i'd guess, especially not this deep) I think I prefer not leading at this pot. Especially since it is protected by the shortstacks all in preflop.

Don't include results in your posts and tbh titling the thread like this will get you worse replies.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the reply beaneh. Yeah I think I made a mistake by 3 betting the flop as you and scotty have said. I wouldn't play many hands like this (sets and maybe some kind of combo draw), so I haven't disguised the strength of my had at all. Also I don't think he would raise with a draw/J in this spot due to the shortstack being all-in, and if he did he deffo isn't capable of continuing if he misses on the turn lol. But in the heat of the moment I just thought I basically have the 2nd nuts which I'm not good enough to fold even with a strong read so slowly shovelled my chips into the middle :(

Fair point about posting the results of the hand, the only reason why I did it was that it was gonna be obvious by my OP that I lost the hand and didn't want people thinking it was another stupid bad beat thread.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Can I ever get off this? : Don't remember the hand but now got a bad feeling it's me.... I stack off here as well being a set-addict.  I totally agree with Scotty, you have to know the reg really well to fold here.
    Posted by TommyD
    Haha nah it wasn't you mate....the way you play I'm happy to stack off with ace high ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks for the reply beaneh. Yeah I think I made a mistake by 3 betting the flop as you and scotty have said. I wouldn't play many hands like this (sets and maybe some kind of combo draw), so I haven't disguised the strength of my had at all. Also I don't think he would raise with a draw/J in this spot due to the shortstack being all-in, and if he did he deffo isn't capable of continuing if he misses on the turn lol. But in the heat of the moment I just thought I basically have the 2nd nuts which I'm not good enough to fold even with a strong read so slowly shovelled my chips into the middle :( Fair point about posting the results of the hand, the only reason why I did it was that it was gonna be obvious by my OP that I lost the hand and didn't want people thinking it was another stupid bad beat thread.
    Posted by yb

Title the thread, 'flop line check or something' not 'i lost can i lose less,' or 'i ran into the top of his range, wat it do?'

Then don't include results and you'll get less biased answers. 
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Can I ever get off this? : Haha nah it wasn't you mate....the way you play I'm happy to stack off with ace high ;)
    Posted by yb
    Against Tommy surely 10 high is good enough ;)

As said in other posts, u need a serious read to fold here mate - and even then I'm probably still calling!
  • edited July 2010
    Also I don't agree that the villain cant have JJ btw.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2010
    Also I don't agree that the villain cant have JJ btw.
    Posted by beaneh
    This villain has a very particular way of playing and he will 3-bet JJ preflop every time.
  • edited July 2010

him 3betting JJ preflop here is a pretty bad mistake 200bb deep, he would essentially be turning his hand into a bluff espeically as you said he is passive so hes not going to be stacking off preflop with it.

its pretty disgusting as their are no two pair hands he can have and most draws would just call this flop as you are never pure bluffing here. i would still stack off but im really not sure if it is profitable.

• edited July 2010

IMO if he is the type to 3 bet JJ here all the time then the stack off post flop is ez game. If he has the read you suggested then if he's any good he will be flat calling JJ nearly always.