You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

cash games

when i play cash games i go in with about 25 big blinds and when i double it i leave. in the past i have taken a pound upto 7! then lost the lot when i hit top full house on the turn, and my opponent hit four of a kind on the river!

so you have persoal rules for cash games?

Comments

• edited August 2009
    i dont really play cash games but 'they' say take in 100BB so when i rarely do i use that 100BB strategy so that i am deep stacked and if i hit a monster i can take as much money as possible. Imagine doubling up with 100BB rather than 25BB... however you could also lose 100BB which would really suck.
  • edited August 2009
    Buy in for 100bb...you are reducing your equity by a huge amount and also by having a stack that short it means that once you enter a hand you are fairly committed to it, so you cannot get away when a scare card hits.

If you don't have the BR for it then try and build it up on the small stake SnG tables.

Good luck sir
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to cash games:
    when i play cash games i go in with about 25 big blinds and when i double it i leave. in the past i have taken a pound upto 7! then lost the lot when i hit top full house on the turn, and my opponent hit four of a kind on the river! so you have persoal rules for cash games?
    Posted by mildot308
    My personal rules for cash games are:

1.  Never play with more than 5% of my bankroll on any one table.  So if I want to play a 5p/10p table then my bankroll must be at least £200.  This way, If I lose my buyin, it hasn't trashed my bankroll and I'm not playing with scared money.

2.  Always buy in for at least 100BB.  If you don't you lose value when you have the opportunity to get all your chips in when you are ahead and take your opponents whole stack.

3.  If you absolutely must buy in for less - say 60BBs (perhaps taking a shot at the next level buyin) then play a solid tight short stack game until you have got reads on how the table is playing and the skill levels of the other player.  Your stack isn't big enough to get involved with many speculative hands such as sooted gappers, small pairs out of position etc. unless your reads tell you otherwise, e.g. table full of weak tight nits who fold to any raise.

4.  If I double up, I generally keep playing because it usually means there are some weak fishy players at the table.  If the table is full of good TAGs or maniacs who have bigger stacks I will probably leave, just depends on my reads.

These rules have worked for me and to date I haven't been busto since my first ever deposit on party poker 4 years ago.

All the best
    Restormel