You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good or Bad Fold?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I know JJ isn't here but I had this hand earlier and though I folded I wondered about it afterwards...and yes, I know that I could have played the flop stronger but I thought I was trapping...Anyway, here it is, I'd love to have your thoughts...
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
TRIP5 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.33
Aaronzo Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.54
  Your hole cards
  • A

duffer132 Fold     
mac123 Fold     
Billy3rods Fold     
joan67 Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £2.58
TRIP5 Call  £0.06 £0.20 £3.27
Aaronzo Call  £0.04 £0.24 £3.50
Flop

TRIP5 Check     
Aaronzo Check     
joan67 Check     
Turn

TRIP5 Bet  £0.12 £0.36 £3.15
Aaronzo Call  £0.12 £0.48 £3.38
joan67 Raise  £0.24 £0.72 £2.34
TRIP5 Call  £0.12 £0.84 £3.03
Aaronzo Call  £0.12 £0.96 £3.26
River

TRIP5 Bet  £0.48 £1.44 £2.55
Aaronzo Fold     
joan67 All-in  £2.34 £3.78 £0.00
TRIP5 Fold     
joan67 Muck     
joan67 Win  £1.78  £1.78
joan67 Return  £1.86 £0.14 £3.64

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I think it's a good fold.  I would of been tempted to check/call a sensible bet on the river, more out of curiosity than anything else.

If I was in your spot though I would of bet the flop and put in a bigger bet on the turn than half pot to give me more of an idea what I'm up against.

But as played it's a defo fold to the raise on the river.  I would only call that if I had very very good notes on the Villain telling me I could still be good as only something that beats you on that board should be raising on the river.

Good fold.
  • edited July 2010
    Good fold knight !!! 

Definately behind after the river if not on the turn, sooooooo many hands beat ours :)

Would of played it the same, these things happen when you try & trap !!

• edited July 2010
    you'll never know....
  • edited July 2010
    Fold the river. If you're calling pre here, lead the flop for full pot, bet the turn for pot too. half pot is not guuuuut on such a draw heavy board.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks for your input everyone...Usually I can fold and not look back but as I said, this one stuck with me for some reason..

The table was tight so I checked the flop hoping for a button raise, I should have bet full pot on the turn but again I didn't want to chase my customer away...the 12p reraise set off bells but I was willing to try and river the house at this point.

When the 6 came it was one of those 'WHY DIDNT I BET MORE?' moments so I thought I'd ask the question...When the answer came back I wasnt particulary happy about it, and after consideration folded.

Looking back I recon he had the business but even If I was outplayed Sir Goody is right, I felt there were just too many hands that were beating me at this point!

I was interested in finding out from you guys if you thought this was a -ev fold over time...

Having your opinions on this hand has really helped me to see things from the other side of the coin so a big THANKYOU for your help

xx
  • edited July 2010
    At this level just BET, BET, BET and then BET some more ;)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Good or Bad Fold?:
    At this level just BET , BET , BET and then BET some more ;)
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    /thread.
  • edited July 2010
    fold preflop, srsly. that is the best advice i can give.
  • edited July 2010
    I'd write in the chat box  "...nice bluff" then leave the timer to run all the way down.

more often than not they show you to prove they either were bluffing or werent bluffing.
  • edited July 2010
    fold or raise pre...

as played, bet big/call all streets unless some 4 to flush or straight comes
  • edited July 2010
    fold or raise pre... as played, bet big/call all streets unless some 4 to flush or straight comes
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    Really? So you would have called all in on the river on that board?

You are right though, it should have been a fold / raise pre but I was oop and thought I could get a cheap look,

I think I played the flop check/raise but no-one bet (typical...lol) however with the flush str draw I opted for pot control on the turn with a cheap look on the river...

Really the question is about my river play, I feel if I had bet pot at this point I was comitted where 1/2 pot was more 'getoutable' should i get reraised AI...

To be fair he was the tightest of tight players so deserved a degree of respect with this play...imo

x
  • edited July 2010

"Really? So you would have called all in on the river on that board? "

No, lynx3ffect is not saying call here because there is a 4 card straight on the board (ie 6,7,8,10 - a single 9 makes the straight):

"unless some 4 to flush or straight comes"

JC

• edited July 2010
    "Really? So you would have called all in on the river on that board? " No, lynx3ffect is not saying call here because there is a 4 card straight on the board (ie 6,7,8,10 - a single 9 makes the straight): "unless some 4 to flush or straight comes" JC
    Posted by JohnConnor
    HAHA, I'm an idiot!!!

Cheers JC

x
  • edited July 2010

Hey trip - just scanning the forum and remembered a hand I played last night - really similar-ish to yours...

I was reading the hand, and am thinking, bet the flop trip bet bet bet!!!

Then I decided to find the hand and compare....and guess what?

DOHHH - CHECK!!!!! God I was playing so bad last night. - Anyway similar - ish river decision - what do u think?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    mitieng2 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £30.06
    evenflow1 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £20.67
      Your hole cards
    • A

DOHHHHHHH Raise  £1.20 £1.65 £56.97
    FUZZYFIFE Call  £1.20 £2.85 £47.03
    manten999 Fold     
    pete_robo Fold     
    mitieng2 Fold     
    evenflow1 Fold     
    Flop

DOHHHHHHH Check     
    FUZZYFIFE Check     
    Turn

• K

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £2.40 £5.25 £54.57
    FUZZYFIFE Call  £2.40 £7.65 £44.63
    River

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £5.00 £12.65 £49.57
    FUZZYFIFE All-in  £44.63 £57.28 £0.00
    DOHHHHHHH ????   
  • edited July 2010
    The flop check is the ghayest thing since homo-sexuality was invented dude.
  • edited July 2010

Yeh there must have been a reason for it, can't remember tho had had a few too many at this point....

Maybe he was firing at every pot or something - dnt recognise the name, who knows.

It is cringeworthy looking back at it though. Explains my balance when I woke up this morning :(
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Good or Bad Fold? : Really? So you would have called all in on the river on that board? You are right though, it should have been a fold / raise pre but I was oop and thought I could get a cheap look, I think I played the flop check/raise but no-one bet (typical...lol) however with the flush str draw I opted for pot control on the turn with a cheap look on the river... Really the question is about my river play, I feel if I had bet pot at this point I was comitted where 1/2 pot was more 'getoutable' should i get reraised AI... To be fair he was the tightest of tight players so deserved a degree of respect with this play...imo x
    Posted by TRIP5
    as your hand played out u made the right fold i guess but you should never have got to that situation was the point i was trying to make, its all about making your decisions easier and from the off by limping in for a "cheap look" ur immediately up against 5 random hands! :)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Good or Bad Fold? : as your hand played out u made the right fold i guess but you should never have got to that situation was the point i was trying to make, its all about making your decisions easier and from the off by limping in for a "cheap look" ur immediately up against 5 random hands! :)
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    I totally agree however as cheap looks go an 88x flop when you have A8 is pretty much what you're looking to hit...I wasn't playing the A oop. 

Trapping is beautiful when it works and costly when it doesn't, and I recon mixing it up a bit is fine unless the river falls as did.

Trips seem to find me but they are soooo easy to stack off against.

x