You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

BR management help

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys,

Now ive noticed over the last month inparticular my BR management is very poor. Ive had a few of you huys also having massive goes at me for it. I re-loaded £20 yesterday and have worked that back up to £67. Due to 5th and 3rds in tournaments aswell as a couple of S&G's once the MTT part of the site was dead.

So im now back to where i was when i first went bust, but the good news is i actually have a BR on my account to work with. So ive decided, i wont enter a tounament with a buy in more than £5.50. I wont play a S&G with a buy in more than £5.50. Im going to take a break from the cash, i found the cash inparticular very difficult and have decided i shall try and learn live cash before trying again online.

So i think ive got a basis, i will stick with these rules until i reach £200, when i will re-evaluate max buy ins. I find it difficult to play in the lower stake tournaments, and it does frustrate me a little. S&G's lower staked i teand to do well in. So i will play lower stake S&G's but no lower than a fiver buy in MTT i teand to find id be better of hopping over to Sky Bingo than play them.

Anyways, i've got some ground rules set, but my next question is, i would like to withdraw £60 eventually once ive built a strong enough BR. This is so that i put myself back to where i was before i went bust. Im still £160 off getting to where i was when i started to go bust while playing on tilt. 

However when is it safe to withdraw without hurting your BR too much, secondly what percentage of BR should you withdraw?

Thanks.

Don

On a side note, i will no longer play on tilt and have worked on a system of playing to avoid going on tilt. It has worked with the Live poker so im now trying it online, and it worked really well last night after a couple of bad beats i managed to pick up and carry on unlike before when i just lost my rag and played terrible poker.  

Comments

• edited July 2010
    In Response to BR management help:
    Hi guys, Now ive noticed over the last month inparticular my BR management is very poor. Ive had a few of you huys also having massive goes at me for it. I re-loaded £20 yesterday and have worked that back up to £67. Due to 5th and 3rds in tournaments aswell as a couple of S&G's once the MTT part of the site was dead. So im now back to where i was when i first went bust, but the good news is i actually have a BR on my account to work with. So ive decided, i wont enter a tounament with a buy in more than £5.50. I wont play a S&G with a buy in more than £5.50. Im going to take a break from the cash, i found the cash inparticular very difficult and have decided i shall try and learn live cash before trying again online. So i think ive got a basis, i will stick with these rules until i reach £200, when i will re-evaluate max buy ins. I find it difficult to play in the lower stake tournaments, and it does frustrate me a little. S&G's lower staked i teand to do well in. So i will play lower stake S&G's but no lower than a fiver buy in MTT i teand to find id be better of hopping over to Sky Bingo than play them. Anyways, i've got some ground rules set, but my next question is, i would like to withdraw £60 eventually once ive built a strong enough BR. This is so that i put myself back to where i was before i went bust. Im still £160 off getting to where i was when i started to go bust while playing on tilt.  However when is it safe to withdraw without hurting your BR too much, secondly what percentage of BR should you withdraw? Thanks. Don On a side note, i will no longer play on tilt and have worked on a system of playing to avoid going on tilt. It has worked with the Live poker so im now trying it online, and it worked really well last night after a couple of bad beats i managed to pick up and carry on unlike before when i just lost my rag and played terrible poker.  
    Posted by The_Don90
    With a bankroll of £67 I wouldn't want to be playing sngs for more than £3 unless I was crushing £5 sngs easily and consistently.

About lower stakes frustrating you, you have to be able to beat the lower stakes to stand a chance in the higher stakes.

I find your reference to sky bingo and calling other players 'fishies' etc quite tilting, if you cant beat them then what does that say eh?

In terms of withdrawing, i think i would be happy to withdraw anything over 50BIs over the current level im playing. However, it really depends on your poker aims. If you want to move up the levels then you dont want to be withdrawing. If you need the money then you will have to just take out what you need i guess.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: BR management help:
    In Response to BR management help : With a bankroll of £67 I wouldn't want to be playing sngs for more than £3 unless I was crushing £5 sngs easily and consistently. About lower stakes frustrating you, you have to be able to beat the lower stakes to stand a chance in the higher stakes. I find your reference to sky bingo and calling other players 'fishies' etc quite tilting, if you cant beat them then what does that say eh? In terms of withdrawing, i think i would be happy to withdraw anything over 50BIs over the current level im playing. However, it really depends on your poker aims. If you want to move up the levels then you dont want to be withdrawing. If you need the money then you will have to just take out what you need i guess.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Sorry with the Bingo term, it was a local term we use for Looser players, not quite a fish. Just people who are less likley to fold hands.

I struggle at the £2 levels but i do extremely well at the £5 levels in my defence to the remark of not being able to beat them then what does that say.

Ive worked alot on my game recently since i took a break from online, ive came back and the two tournaments ive came 3rd and 5th in i didnt really have many hands, i used to just play alot lose alot and recover more on my big hands. However in both these tournaments i grinded my way through almost always below average until around the bubble, certainly after the first break. Infact on the one i finnished third i  only played 11 hands played in that first hour and went into the second hour with 4BB's.

Ive also taken alot of advice about keeping my cool about other players games, with that being most of the blame for me tilting. I spoke to a guy who i know who used to always tilt. He went away and worked on his game and managed to correct it to an extent. He gave me a lot of advice and where i was going wrong causeing me to tilt. I worked on what he said and even now i and now ive came of the tilt and been nicer to opponents after a bad beat, usually with a nice hand after words.

The S&G's the £5 level again is my favored i find the £5 is about the correct level. I'm cashing in them alot more than the lower stakes again, not sure why this is, i rekon mostly because of my extremely tight and table image based style i teand to use in STT and MTT's, and with table image not comming into play much to the players that are either not that experianced or still learning that are in the lower stakes i find it harder to play that game expessially if ive got one loose/aggressive player on my table.

Thanks for the responce Blackfish, 50BI's was my target, the plan is to build a very strong bankroll. Theres a tournament in Edinburgh in October i want to play in but i dont want to satellite in because it means registering with websites i dont trust so im going to have to directly buy in which costs £500 + rake so trying to build a bankroll safe enough to enter that without killing it if i fail aswell as still having at least 50Bi's on Sky account.
  • edited July 2010
    4BBs... I don't think you should get this low in a tourny, you lose fold equity and takes more to get to a playable stack.

btw as your scottish... rangers or celtic?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: BR management help:
    4BBs... I don't think you should get this low in a tourny, you lose fold equity and takes more to get to a playable stack. btw as your scottish... rangers or celtic?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Yea i had been extremely card dead, and then got a little lucky with K9 against AQ.

And im the blue side mate, have been siince i can remember.