You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Card Dead, Blinds Going Up Quickly. What Do i Do?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Just went into the £2.40 sat to get into tonights B/H.

Blinds are going up every 5 minsutes, 53 players start, Im card dead, im getting no hands what so ever, The only good hands (compared to what i was getting) was a10 suited, kj,q10  and 78 suited

The hands that i dint play, even if i did i wouldnt of hit anything. The hand si got were

(not suited)
 67  2k   69  a2   610    a7     k2    35    38     34    a8     k3    104     a6    8k     510     102    j6    q10    28    72    kj    j4   26    k7     j6     107   109     63     q6    69    j6    q9

Suited

78    j7    k3    36    a10   3k

I know you prob dont need to know all my hands lol, Was i playing too tight? if i was in big blind id just check (because i had rubbish)

IF there cards there that i should be playing? i dint play any weak A

In the end i just got low as blinds went up quick, so i shoved, As i had no fold equity. It was either shove or fold.

i went out 30 out of 53, but felt i played bad, How should i of played postion? Raised every button?

Normally if i get delt bad cards for a while, ill start playing with rubbish, But this time i thought i would be patient, But it dint work for me this time, When i did get ace 10 suited i raised 400 (blinds 50-100) and every one folded

There is quite a few question in this post if you can work them out, Sorry if iv written it bad :P

Shaun

Comments

• edited July 2010
    you should hvae been shoving 100pc of your hands OTB if you had like 6/7bb.

stuff like T9/K7 etc shoulda been going in if you were in the CO.

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Card Dead, Blinds Going Up Quickly. What Do i Do?:
    Just went into the £2.40 sat to get into tonights B/H. Blinds are going up every 5 minsutes, 53 players start, Im card dead, im getting no hands what so ever, The only good hands (compared to what i was getting) was a10 suited, kj,q10  and 78 suited The hands that i dint play, even if i did i wouldnt of hit anything. The hand si got were (not suited)  67  2k   69  a2   610    a7     k2    35    38     34    a8     k3    104     a6    8k     510     102    j6    q10    28    72    kj    j4   26    k7     j6     107   109     63     q6    69    j6    q9 Suited 78    j7    k3    36    a10   3k I know you prob dont need to know all my hands lol, Was i playing too tight? if i was in big blind id just check (because i had rubbish) IF there cards there that i should be playing? i dint play any weak A In the end i just got low as blinds went up quick, so i shoved, As i had no fold equity. It was either shove or fold. i went out 30 out of 53, but felt i played bad, How should i of played postion? Raised every button? Normally if i get delt bad cards for a while, ill start playing with rubbish, But this time i thought i would be patient, But it dint work for me this time, When i did get ace 10 suited i raised 400 (blinds 50-100) and every one folded There is quite a few question in this post if you can work them out, Sorry if iv written it bad :P Shaun
    Posted by shaun09

stealing the blinds can keep you alive. this is easier from late position because less people to get through. you have a chance to win the pot everytime you raise. dont wait to shove till you have no fold equity shove before that with any semblence of hand.
  • edited July 2010
    its not just about what cards you have, it also depends on your postion, stack sizes in the SB/BB when your on the button/co.

There is not much we can tell you from what you posted apart from you got a cold deck.
  • edited July 2010

So k7 is a shoving hand. Wel i know any hand you can shove with. in the end i shoved with q9, i suspose i should of shoved ealier tho

• edited July 2010
    shove with 2 7 off from UTG, you'll be surprised at how many times it gets thru.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Card Dead, Blinds Going Up Quickly. What Do i Do?:
    So k7 is a shoving hand. Wel i know any hand you can shove with. in the end i shoved with q9, i suspose i should of shoved ealier tho
    Posted by shaun09

shove any two cards into aces and you still have 15% chance to win the pot.
  • edited July 2010
    As a regular satellite qualifier here is my take.

Shoving with any 2 in any position is a sure way of getting yourself knocked out
    Shoving with any 2 in late position is where you want to make this play
    Never call an all-in with any 2 (find a better spot to get your chips in)
    Stealing the blinds is a must (This is best done in late position)

There are only two ways I would make a play to steal the blinds in a satellite:
    1. shove half your stack or
    2.Shove all your stack (Always in Late Position)

This is very dependant on how loose your table is playing, if its tight then shoving half your stack in late position usually works and will also preserve your tourney life if you get a caller. If your table is a little loose we don't want multiple callers so the all-in shove is your best play. At the end of the day every player wants to survive so the all-in shove is your best weapon.

Flat calling is a no no
    Minimum raising is a no no
    Chasing is a no no
    3 or 4 x BB raise is not a play I like to recommend in a satellite, because other players will most likely shove all-in after you forcing you to fold your hand and leak chips. 

I do not recommend shoving constantly, as this will only induce a caller, we still need to make it believable so use it wisely.

Personally I fold everything but premium hands until the blinds reach 100/200 then I am in shove fold mode and looking to steal.

Don't be scared to steal the blinds in late position with air, you will be surprised how many times you can get away with it and if you do get a caller from the small or big blind your still not in bad shape.

If you have a cold deck, aggression in late position is the key to survival.
  • edited July 2010
    Ok so what happens if im befor the small blind, and i put half my stack in and small folds and big flats it, When flop comes down to i check it? or fold? and what if i raise half my stack and he goes all in, and all i do have is air?
  • edited July 2010
    Hi shaun.
    I know what your saying m8y but we can't go thinking outside of the box here.

The sole purpose of making this type of play in late position is to steal the blinds.

You will occasionally get called by the BB and your next move depends on the flop. J high flop or lower and i'm shovin. KQ or A high flop and i'm probably folding, but sometimes you have just got to take your chances and get it all-in. After all, the best hand you will be up against is a pair.

You may hit the flop, he may fold if you shove the rest of your stack on the flop. There is no point in thinking about the if's but's and mayby's - You need to be confident enough to make the play and make them fold.

If we have a cold deck and we are leaking chips, we need to be stealing the blinds otherwise we are going to be out quick sharp. Use it wisely and it will pay off. OK occasionally they will have a hand, but a lot of the time they won't.