You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dirty Suarez.... Would you?

edited July 2010 in The Football Corner
So, Hansen and Shearer both said they would have done the same thing as Suarez did in handballing on the line to keep his nation's World Cup hopes alive. Personally I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I'm not saying I disagree with their sentiment of 'you'd do anything to keep your team in the World Cup', but that is cheating, plain and simple.

The question is:

Would you have done the Dirty Suarez and handballed on the line to keep your country in the World Cup?

Discuss/vote/etc.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    In fairness, although I wanted Ghana to win, any player in the same situation as Suarez would have done it. Not for the sake of cheating.....it was an instinctive reaction and you would have no time to think about it. When I saw the replay at the time though, I wasn't sure that he needed to handle it.
  • edited July 2010
    TBH, I'd also hand ball it as it was the dyeing moments of the game and if he hadn't did it his country was out the World cup, so he made the sacrifice in the hope the penalty taker would bottle it, which he did.
  • edited July 2010
    NO cheats never win ask the french .
  • edited July 2010
    Id probably have done it, do fele gutted for Ghana tho, you see it week in week out in league football, and it doesnt get blown out proportion like this.

It wasnt lnog ago Scholes did it and got sent off, the stupid thing for him tho it was at the start of the game, he was sent off and they scored the penalty, jsut let them score and get on with the game, but in the last minute of extra time in the quater finals, I think most players would
  • edited July 2010
    Suarez didn't cheat. He didn't deceive the referee because he was caught denying the goal and was subsequently sent off with penalty being awarded to Ghana...that's everything the law requires so the referee got every decision right and wasn't conned by his actions! Ghana still had chance to win the match and it's irrelevant if they missed or not!

If the last defender brings down striker to stop him getting shot on goal, he would be sent off and free kick/penalty awarded as the law requires but we don't say he's cheated? He was trying to stop goal being scored but as the challenge was outside the rules of the game, he faces the consequences with the referee sending him off and therefore the correct decision was made!

The difference between the incidents above and incidents of cheating like Henry/Maradonna handball is that these actions deceived the referee into making the wrong decision, benefiting from the consequences. The same applies to diving! You might have moral issues with it but Suarez didn't cheat...he was punished for his actions at the time and will now miss World Cup semi final because of that decision!

If striker scores from an offside position (and doesn't get caught) does that make him a cheat?
  • edited July 2010

if only England players were so committed to getting through putting the team ahead of themselves.

Apart from Shweinstiger's run to create the goal against Argintina, Suarez handball was the move of the world cup.

• edited July 2010
    I hope so, you do things like that instinctively in the heat of the moment. he did it for his teamates and his country.It wasn't fair by any means and it certainly wasn't fair to Ghana but it had to be done.
    You can call it cheating and alot of people will agree with you but cheating to me is diving, feigning injury in an attempt to get someone sent off or when a keeper clearly sees the ball cross his line and then pulls it back. 
  • edited July 2010
    My first reaction was what a cheat...  that was influenced by him diving all over the place every game.

Then I remembered the number of times I have
    deliberatley taken down a much quicker striker on the break, taken a yellow card for the team and saved a near certain goal. The only difference is that the Suarez one looks bad. I really wish it didn't happen but it does. Hate the game not the player.

So to the original question, Yes I would handball on the line
    towards the end of a game but I wouldn't trying and hide what I had done I would be walking before the ref got the chance to show the red.

I agree with Action Dan and TARAS, decieving the ref is cheating.  Did Suarez pretend he headed it to stay on the pitch or take it like a man and walk off?  I have just convinced myself he is a cheat.

On another point, does anyone else think it was just as easy to head it out cause I do?
  • edited July 2010
    I was gonna say exactly what Dan said except for the fact that not only did he say it first but he's said it better than what I probably would've.

I'm doing the same thing every time.
  • edited July 2010
    Anyone who says that in that position they would stop & think 'I'd better let this go in because I am not a cheat' is a liar!
  • edited July 2010
    I agree with Pathching999. Its the game unfornately. Win at any cost

I watched a game the other night and every little foul or throw in or corner the players on both sides looked straight toward the ref trying to claim everything even when  its totally obvious that the player is just trying it on, and the worse one which has been higlighted in this World Cup for me is players trying to get each other booked and sent off - They should be ashamed

example - someone goes down holding their face when they've not been touched - they should be shown that on the replay after the game and asked by the intervierer or press why they did it or to explain themselves
  • edited July 2010
    it's wrong but you would have to do it, obviously.