You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

poker strategy

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
hi folks......1st time post, so go gentle ;-)

after a bit of advice on maximising profit with the strongest hand, so hopefully the more experienced on here can give me a few pointers on my tactics.....

i tend to bet the big hands with a few bluffs thrown in when in position with hands like AQ and up, but i was wondering how to play post flop with say AK as my hole cards, then hitting either a A or K on the flop. I bet between 1/2 and 3/4 pot size regardless of hitting or missing if i'm 1st to bet after the flop.......should I be betting lower/checking?

ta muchly

Comments

• edited July 2010
    In Response to poker strategy:
    hi folks......1st time post, so go gentle ;-) after a bit of advice on maximising profit with the strongest hand, so hopefully the more experienced on here can give me a few pointers on my tactics..... i tend to bet the big hands with a few bluffs thrown in when in position with hands like AQ and up, but i was wondering how to play post flop with say AK as my hole cards, then hitting either a A or K on the flop. I bet between 1/2 and 3/4 pot size regardless of hitting or missing if i'm 1st to bet after the flop.......should I be betting lower/checking? ta muchly
    Posted by MickJagger
    As with all things I think this will depend on what you wish to achieve if you always bet out 3/4 you will scoop alot of hands uncontested, you will pick up some medium pots and a few big pots but you will avoid alot of suckouts - however you will lose a lot to sets and strong draws that get there.
    If you bet out 1/2 or less/check you will have better pot control and win a number of medium pots against average holdings(weaker kickers 2nd pair) however you open up to people getting lucky as they see extra cards think two pairs on the turn,gutshots etc. which will cost you as they are harder to spot.

I think you need to find a balance and be very wary of the story both you and the opponent are telling.

1st reply to this type of thread so hope some of it makes sense!
  • edited July 2010
    If you hold AK and hit an A or a K on the flop you are correct to bet say 3/4 of the pot against most opponents IMO. You may be unlucky enough to be up against a set or two pair every now and then, but you will be ahead most times. Tread carefully with draw heavy flops.

If you check you are probably just giving away a free card to others who are currently behind, a small bet is pointless because it gives very attractive odds to callers with draws. 

On an aggresive table you may find you extract maximum value by opting to check/raise.

Please say hello to Keith from me ;)
  • edited July 2010
    its totally depends on your who your facing, if you miss and you know they are not folding regardless, why even waste money to c-bet.

there is no set way to play AK or AQ on any flop, there are so many factors to take into condsideration
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks fellas....much appreciated!

Think I'll mix it up a bit and you're right about the type of player I'm against

Thanks again