You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ok...making the move..no more chickening out!

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Right after dithering around like a chicken in heels I am finally gonna make the move from dym's to 100% cash tomorrow!!!! (bite nails!)
Back to 2/4p, learn how to play nice and calm (omg..i actually laughed when I typed that!) and fingers crossed my aim is to break even for 1st month minimum and hopefully be up £5 a day once im settled :o)
I'm gonna put in some proper hours instead of messing around between cash and dyms so I can really learn the game :o)
ps, thanks Dohhhhhhh and Blackfish3 (and hubby, hehe) for the advice x

Comments

• edited July 2010
    good luck 'nana. let's see you doing well. then tell me your secret..please...pretty please!!
  • edited July 2010
    Wrong time to change imo your great at dym's and Lisa is running a comp whoi wins the most in a row during july gets a free seat at the spt final in Notingham, I think youd have a good chance of donig this and should think about cash next month, but good luck and hope you do well

Gareth
    xx
  • edited July 2010
    Good luck hope, im sure you will be killing it and onto 4p/8 in no time :o)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: ok...making the move..no more chickening out!:
    Wrong time to change imo your great at dym's and Lisa is running a comp whoi wins the most in a row during july gets a free seat at the spt final in Notingham, I think youd have a good chance of donig this and should think about cash next month, but good luck and hope you do well Gareth xx
    Posted by 35suited
    lol thanks Gareth but to be honest even if i were lucky enought to win a ticket I would be a bag of nerves playing live as i can't lie...no honest I can't!!!!! I would laugh...grin...fidget if I had a hand and everyone would demolish me in 30 mins! hahahahaha

Well the cash thing is totally different and i'm trying to learn the basics really, yesterday I was all "ooooh I'm gonna win a big pot!" and managed to get the guy all in then realised he had a royal flush!!! Had to laugh though and nice for the lad cos it's so hard to get paid when you hit those massive hands..lucky I was there to help! lol

Today I thought..right time to knuckle down..notice where i'm loosing money etc...so I'm playing dead carefully and then I hit my hand, so now it's time to learn pot control and how to get value without scaring the guy off. I finally manage to get the money in with my hand and feeling dead pleased with my wonderfully controlled play to realise at the end I was behind even before the flop!!!! hahahahaha

Oh well you have to loose to learn where your going wrong don't you! :o)
    Thanks for the well wishes and let me know when you win that ticket!!
  • edited July 2010
    Good luck hope, im sure you will be killing it and onto 4p/8 in no time :o)
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    hehe thanks young gun but read post above...may get there in a year! hahahaha
  • edited July 2010
    good luck
    will look out for you!
  • edited July 2010
    oooh u on cash too walesboy? just be gentle..im a beginner!
  • edited July 2010

You notice where you are losing.
    You have to lose to learn.
    The t-shirt I am wearing is quite loose.

Hope this makes sense.

• edited July 2010
    You notice where you are losing. You have to lose to learn. The t-shirt I am wearing is quite loose. Hope this makes sense.
    Posted by pryce6
    oh i did that on purpose to test you were taking notice! ;)
  • edited July 2010
    oooh u on cash too walesboy? just be gentle..im a beginner!
    Posted by BananaDog
    Yep on the 2p/4p rollercoaster!
    I'll try to be gentle ....... honest!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: ok...making the move..no more chickening out! : Yep on the 2p/4p rollercoaster! I'll try to be gentle ....... honest!
    Posted by walesboy
    yeah totally mad...I got all my money with my set of 5's on the flop knowing the other player would call...they also had a set......6's! (roll eyes) so other table i put the guy on a full house but I knew I had higher one so got my moneis back then WOOHOO!
    totaly crazy but I am determined to get there in the end! lol
    Good luck...CYMRU AM BYTH! lol
  • ybyb
    edited July 2010
    Good luck!

And remember keep posting hands that you think you might have been able to play better....its the best way to learn!!
  • edited July 2010
    lol this thread may get very long then yb! hehehe
    Thanks Logdon :)
  • edited July 2010
    Roll permitting do not waste too much time at 2p/4p and 4p/8p as the range of hands that are played are MASSIVE and that includes to virtually ANY kind of pre-flop raise.But the best of luck to you anyway.dav
  • edited July 2010
    Best of luck Nana   Take 'em apart.
  • edited July 2010
    What about 5/10p dav? WHat sort of bankroll is best for that? Sorry for hi jack banana
  • edited July 2010
    What about 5/10p dav? WHat sort of bankroll is best for that? Sorry for hi jack banana
    Posted by shaun09
    In theory you should have a minimum of 10 pull-ups.But it does depend on what type of player you are.I myself do not really follow strict b/r management and 5 pull ups is enough for me and when i play cash (as i luv mtts) i do as a rule make money.dav
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks Elsa, Dav & Shaun :)
    I am bankrolled for higher level but my play is not ready for higher level! lol
  • edited July 2010
    if i have a spare 30 quid ill put it on poker, i dont have a big bank roll, but i seem to play better at 5/10 then 2/4 because of all the limpers even though you put the appropriate raises in. I was up to 100 quid, but that soon went ;(
  • edited July 2010
    if i have a spare 30 quid ill put it on poker, i dont have a big bank roll, but i seem to play better at 5/10 then 2/4 because of all the limpers even though you put the appropriate raises in. I was up to 100 quid, but that soon went ;(
    Posted by shaun09
    yeah...I raised 10bb and still got called by a K7 off lol...I think at these levels it's easier to give up raising unless it's a big big hand like aces, kings or queens and instead limp and hit..then raise later if hit, still annoying though!!!!
  • edited July 2010
    yeah, i dunno what to do, im in 0 profit and not making any money :( i went inot Bounty hunter last night came 109 i think out of 450? and only knocked 2 people out, chased a draw i shouldnt of done and i know that i done wrong now. i had k10 and flop was aj, needed a q, and i chased it, which made me short stacked. But like you say i suspose we learn from our mistakes, Altho it is a costly way for me :(
  • edited July 2010

In Response to Re: ok...making the move..no more chickening out! : yeah...I raised 10bb and still got called by a K7 off lol...I think at these levels it's easier to give up raising unless it's a big big hand like aces, kings or queens and instead limp and hit..then raise later if hit, still annoying though!!!!
    Posted by BananaDog
    Your best bet is to make notes on the players. Has taken me a while to find my feet but found the notes I made attached to the players on screen invaluable - especially if they say "allin merchant" or "always sees flop"!!
    Still I know what you mean. Doesn't work with aces sometimes! Had a crazy one today. I had aces and raised 5bb. Got called (by QJ suited-OK). Allin went K8 off and also A10. I call as does QJ. Get ace high flop (with J) - go all in and QJ calls. Win hand and so suddenly its a heads up table!! Why they went all in pre I've no idea.

Once the notes are made you can then pick your table better.

CYMRU AM BYTH!

• edited July 2010
    good luck bananadog--my advice--- leave the ten player tables alone at the low stakes--- floppin nightmare!!!
  • edited July 2010
    Going to join you back to cash myself going to multi table though, this is where i think ive went wrong from what ive read up. I play one table and get bored and play silly. think if i can get 3 or 4 tables runnong smooth id be fine.

Good luck bannadog and hope to see you there.
  • edited July 2010
    ....or (I know before you all huff!) I could play dym's but save up for a desktop pc and 2 monitors so that I can play up to 10 games at a time? hmmmmm?

It's so hard to make my mind up as I seem to play so unconfidently on cash compared to doubles and can see why you also get stuck with it Don :S
    Thanks for the well wishes Don and even if I go back onto dyms in day I will probably still pop onto cash in the evenings.

ps...had to laugh when Dohh said "well are you gonna play PROPER poker or WIMPY poker!"...what can I say...I'm a wimp!!!
    ps Don I agree with the multi tabling..I think when your on one table and youve been sat there for ages, the minute you get a hand it's hard to let it go even when you think you may well be outdrawn....the thought of how long will it take to get another good hand kills me sometimes!
  • edited July 2010
    id say stick with cash for a bit.

if you lose a bit go back and cash in a few dyms then go back to cash.

thats what i have been doing while trying to learn at cash.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2010
    Whatever you do don't do what I did when I first made the move from DYM's to cash.

I started playing 4p/8p, won a couple of hands, thought I was great so moved straight up to 25p/50p. I then proceeded to donk off my whole BR playing like an idiot, had to reload and made my way back shamefully to the DYM's. When I next began playing cash I started grinding properly from the lowest stakes.

For the first couple of weeks just be happy to break even if possible, it can take a while until you're fully confident playing cash. But trust me stick with it....its so much more fun (and profitable in the long run)!!!
  • edited July 2010
    I think i speak for both myself and Bananadog here yb. Thats some good advice. When i first went to cash i done well at 2/4p which is all my BR could handle at the time.

I won a few hands was up 400 BB and thought "why am i grinding at this level" jumped straight to 10/20p and boom i had £4 left. I watched myself repeat that process around 6 times before i finally busted. I also know Bananadog was struggling with the lower levels but unlike me she is clever enough to state "I WILL STAY HERE BECAUSE IM NOT READY TO STEP UP" so i admit she has more sence than me.

I met bananadog on a few tables while i was playing cash and have to admit, i found it alot easier with her at the table, i think we chatted abit away from poker aswell as a little of poker and it helped me settle a little more. I was doing really well at nights with Oynutter on the table, we disucessed a few hands and he often said why did you play that like that which helped too. But i just struggle so much at that 2/4p level but having said that ive learnt alot from it and i now watch each player idividually.
  • edited July 2010
    okey dokey....ready for this one? to continue bet or not to continue bet?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    BADDIE A
    Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £1.83
    BADDIE B Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £3.05
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

BananaDog Raise   £0.40 £0.52 £7.38
    BADDIE C Call   £0.40 £0.92 £2.35
    BADDIE D Fold        
    BADDIE E Call   £0.40 £1.32 £4.83
    BADDIE A Call   £0.36 £1.68 £1.47