You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Quick calls

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic

if your out of posistion after the flop and you continue bet and are quickly called is it a sign of weakness or strength! I try not to leave myself betting first after the flop but when it does happen i struggle get any reads on players hands whether i continue betting or not.
Any tips will be appreciated

Comments

• edited July 2010
    when they do this, its never the nuts. they usually do this with like TPWK(top pair weak kicker) or some pair/draws.

Hands which they are usually not going to fold.

• edited July 2010
    The only thing that you can read into a quick call is that your opponent hasn't thought much about it at the time although he may well have thought about what action he was going take before you bet assuming that you were going to c-bet, e.g. he may have decided to "float" you whatever you bet.

A lot of analysts state that a quick call can indicate that your opponent has a draw but I cannot see the logic behind this belief.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Quick calls:
    when they do this, its never the nuts. they usually do this with like TPWK(top pair weak kicker) or some pair/draws. Hands which they are usually not going to fold.
    Posted by harvey23

It CAN sometimes be the nuts.
    I would CERTAINLY insta-call with the nuts at times.
  • edited July 2010
    ^usually when people have the nuts, they have a choice, do they just flat or do they raise for value so they think, usually a snap call susggest a hand that is strong enough to play, not not to raise.

usually this is, not always.

• edited July 2010
    Sharkcj

I notice this is your first post.  Welcome to the forum, hope you like it :)

Regarding 'quick calls,' it's so player dependant.  Generally a quick call is a draw.  However this is not a hard and fast rule.  This is where you really need to have been watching a player over a period of time to see what tendencies they have.

Personally I regularly mix up my calling times with marginal/nuts/draws according to the player betting.

So in conclusion, if they are not an experienced player treat it as a draw/marginal at first but constantly review your assessment of the individual.
  • edited July 2010
    cheers for feedback! Will see you at tables soon! just watch them quick calls i will remember what you all said lol thanks
  • edited July 2010
    As tommy says it depends on ure oppo,yeah usually its a drawing hand but not all of the time ;o))