You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Line check - Top pair, reasonable kicker

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
£5.50 DYM

Up until this point I'd only played 1 hand voluntarily which was pocket 10's early doors. Other than that the only times I'd seen a flop was from the big blind when it had been limped round so I like to think I had quite a tight image.

PLAYER X -  He'd been involved in the majority of hands right from the off, often calling raises out of position. The one thing that struck me though, is that EVERYtime he'd called a raise pre flop OOP he would always lead out on the flop. A few hands had gone to showdown (or he showed his cards when the oppo folded) & he was doing this regardless of whether or not he'd hit anything on the flop.

My reason for open raising in this spot is simply because I had a decent position & having played really tight I thought I could steal the blinds. I've often found myself in situations like this in DYM games where I thought I could comfortably sit back & wait for others to go out only to find the blinds catch me up!

Now when he leads out I think I've got 2 options:

1 - CALL - Probably not the best option as I won't particularly know where I am & would then give him a chance to catch up or outdraw me (assuming he's either hit nothing or middle/bottom pair). My thinking was that the upside to this would be that I can keep the pot under control.

2 - RAISE - Probably the better option but what amount can I raise that doesn't commit me if he shoves, yet is big enough to push him off if he has hit nothing/very little? Also, is it just reasonable to think that I've hit top pair so I should call a shove regardless or is that just really bad thinking?

At this stage I'm fairly sure that more often than not I'm ahead here (against this particular player) but if I'm being honest, as soon as I raised pre I almost wished I hadn't cos I don't think I really needed to get involved (this is a leak that I'm trying to fix but every now & then it's like my brain has no say in what buttons I press!)

Any & all advice greatly appreciated
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
PLAYER X Small blind  50.00 50.00 1820.00
------ Big blind  100.00 150.00 1745.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

------ Fold     
silentbob Raise  300.00 450.00 3825.00
------Fold     
PLAYER X Call  250.00 700.00 1570.00
------ Fold     
Flop