You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How would you have played this hand?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
a Small blind   £0.05 £0.05  
b Big blind   £0.10 £0.15  
  Your hole cards

YOUNG_GUN Call   £0.10 £0.25  
c Fold        
d Raise   £0.40 £0.65  
e Fold        
a Fold        
b Fold        
YOUNG_GUN Call   £0.30 £0.95  
Flop 

• A

YOUNG_GUN Check        
c
Bet   £0.80 £1.75  
YOUNG_GUN Call   £0.80 £2.55  
Turn 

YOUNG_GUN Bet   £1.50 £4.05  
c Call   £1.50 £5.55  

YOUNG_GUN Bet   £3.00 £8.55  

teddy991 Call   £3.00 £11.55  

Comments

• edited July 2010
    right cant seem to write underneath the above so here it goes

UTG Small pair my intention was to see a cheap flop, got raised by regular who has been playing pretty aggresive but not picked up any flaws. Flop wasnt great one so checked hoping to get checked behind, when player c bets 80 i think two things either he is c betting with nothing or he has an ace. turns a good card for me so thought i would fire out to see if opposition has a hand or not. after person calls i assume has got an ace but with the river i bet out representing the 2nd 9 could have helped

so thoughts please? what does he have and what have i done wrong here
  • edited July 2010
    never ever open limp, I cant stress this enough. You will get picked on soo much if you do by the stronger regs.

ALWAYS RAISE OR FOLD in cash games if you are first to enter.

as played you saw a cheap flop, you didnt hit anything, so c-f, simpe as.

your donk lead on the turn and river, to me it looks like you didnt know where you was in the hand, so you decided to bet out. When you bet the turn, you are only going to get called by everything that beats you, and all air hands are going to fol so its not a good bet.

• edited July 2010
    i agree with that 80% of the time i would have folded to the flop bet but i thought regular was quite aggressive and was playing on it a bit so i was looking to get paid of if i hit.

I pretty much guess'd his hand just thought the river bet would be enough for them to fold which i was wrong maybe should of bet a bit closer to the pot maybe 3/4 as they are good enough to fold in this spot
  • edited July 2010
    betting the river as a bluff is never good, they are never folding an A there which it looks like they hold.

the whole calling because you are getting paid off on later streets is a bad plan, you will lose money in the long run like that.

At these stakes you just need to play ABC poker, dont do nothng fancey, play soild TAG stuyle and you will be a winner.
  • edited July 2010
    thats my problem alot sometimes i overplay as have played higher and won, just trying to build roll from scratch again as withdrew it all

ill leave a bit before i reveal villains hand
  • edited July 2010
    harvie has prob offered all the advice you will need here but i will read it after ive posted anyway.

Raise preflop
    As played fold flop.
    As played dont bet turn
    As played dont bet river
    lol

if you are going to limp in then i assume you are just set mining, you missed your set so just chuck it when you miss. But raise pre instead, give yaself 2 ways to win the pot eh :)

let me know if u want me to elaborate on anything at all.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: How would you have played this hand?:
    harvie has prob offered all the advice you will need here but i will read it after ive posted anyway. Raise preflop As played fold flop. As played dont bet turn As played dont bet river lol if you are going to limp in then i assume you are just set mining, you missed your set so just chuck it when you miss. But raise pre instead, give yaself 2 ways to win the pot eh :) let me know if u want me to elaborate on anything at all.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    I appreciate it Blackfish, main thing here is other person playing very aggreasive but as a good player thought may fold on the river wsa trying to paint a better picture lol

Your both right though i lack the patience for cash other problem is i overplay things or sometimes put pepole on the hand but think i can get them to fold. reckon they may have on the river as i had a tightish image and not had many encounters with the player in this one maybe if i bet more they fold but i agree played hand terrible thanks for the advice here ppl
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: How would you have played this hand?:
    In Response to Re: How would you have played this hand? : I appreciate it Blackfish, main thing here is other person playing very aggreasive but as a good player thought may fold on the river wsa trying to paint a better picture lol Your both right though i lack the patience for cash other problem is i overplay things or sometimes put pepole on the hand but think i can get them to fold. reckon they may have on the river as i had a tightish image and not had many encounters with the player in this one maybe if i bet more they fold but i agree played hand terrible thanks for the advice here ppl
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Just cut this out. Im pretty sure it costs you a lot, tight abc simple simple poker really does work at micro stakes ok? Just try and be as patient as you can!!
  • edited July 2010
    Cheers Blackfish yer must learn to play more abc as really think i overplay the microstakes when its easier to crush

Villains hand here was AQ, so although i did put him on a similar hand still think if i had bet more they are good enough to lay it down on the river. Then again the whole hand was played terrible so need to not get into trying to bet him of a hand on the river as only a better hand is calling in this spot
  • edited July 2010
    raise pre. as played just fold on the flop.