You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

why does emotion cause tilt?

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat
having been frustrated by 2 issue's that i suffered previously on skypoker (doubts on software veracity and losing connection) i feel i should put my comments in a brighter context. I have rejoined skypoker for the last few weeks playing much less than previously whilst trying to maintain a considered approach to my game. I LOVE POKER but do not consider myself a gambler as such and feel my analytical mind is well suited to the mathematical aspects of the game. Regardless of my scepticism on the software(i should mention i am a technophobe who is highly suspicious of all things that are potentially corruptable in cyberspace,etc) and my being blinded out of the £1250 BH when bossing the heads up due to connection loss; why does the attached negative emotion cause a complete loss of sense leading to tilting? i have won several tournaments amid my frustrations in the last few weeks and been placed also but after losing SKY connection in the BH and being upset by the response i received my game last night became suicidal? even though i received a few bad beats and seemed to be outdrawn at every turn i blame my game and the fact that i was in full tilt mode? is there a reason why negative emotions cause tilt and even when you recognise it why cant you stop it?
p.s to those i have clashed with within my frustrations i apologise,whether provoked or not, but the forum is there for comments and questions, however sceptical, and insults and derision serve no good purpose! yours stone, searching for enlightenment and reason to carry on!!!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Emotion affects the way we play. If your upset at say one bad beat you want to get revenge on your opponent so things get chased that probably should, moves are made and you misread situations.

So say your relaxed and happy your emomotions are less likley to affect your game and you play better poker.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: why does emotion cause tilt?:
    Emotion affects the way we play....
    Posted by The_Don90

Strictly speaking, emotion 'can' affect the way we play.

Just like emotion 'can' affect the way we drive (and many other examples).

It isn't something I've had a problem with so I don't know exactly where to look, but I do know there have been some books and articles written about the mental approach to games - I think "Zen" and "Poker" might be search terms to start with maybe - it's the reason why some players like Hellmuth have employed life coach's.

You can't change the luck, and there's a limited amount to which you can change how you react to your emotions.
    But you can change the  middle link - if you get less emotionally 'distracted' in poker then you can avoid the resulting tilt.