You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Correctly or poorly played

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
GARETJAX Small blind  50.00 50.00 2205.00
xBig blind  100.00 150.00 3780.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

The_Don90 Raise  300.00 450.00 3615.00
aRaise  500.00 950.00 2630.00
502 Fold     
pat1960 Fold     
GARETJAX Fold     
xCall  400.00 1350.00 3380.00
The_Don90 Call  200.00 1550.00 3415.00
Flop

• A

xCheck     
The_Don90 Bet  600.00 2150.00 2815.00
aCall  600.00 2750.00 2030.00
xCall  600.00 3350.00 2780.00
Turn

xCheck     
The_Don90 Check     
aCheck     
River

xCheck     
The_Don90 All-in  2815.00 6165.00 0.00
aFold     
xFold     
The_Don90 Muck     
The_Don90 Win  3350.00  3350.00
The_Don90 Return  2815.00 0.00 6165.00
Dislike the funny pocket pair UTG to be honest.  Raise it 3x BB and the next person re-raises. BB whos been loose for a long time calls, as an UTG raise followed by re-raise i decided maybe im behind here to QQ or KK.

Flop holds the dreaded Ace. I decided after one check i have a 600 barrel left in me. They both call. I was hating this one of them had to have an ace surley.

They all check the turn which says to me they dont so i decide to throw the meximum in on the river and wasnt sure weather i wanted a call or not at this stage. Any ace and any 8 aswell as the origional pocket pairs id thought are beating me.

The guy whod re-raised me i had no read on id just moved to the table and had no idea of his range. As a result this was a much scarier hand than i thought. The BB id played with on the previously broken up table and knew he was loose and was likley to steal the pot if i raised smaller.

They all fold in the end but could i have played it better before the all in shove.

Comments

• edited July 2010

I'd raise more pre-flop to save those rag ace calls, around 4.5 BB raise initially

So you have put 500 pre flop and then bet 600 so im assuming around half the pot? i would defo bet more here 800-1000 as the ace is out think worth i stab but if they play back they are bound to have an ace

Don you need to not put the results, also x out players names. although you won the pot i think it hasnt been played well but thats mainly due to your betting doesn't really paint a great picture of the opposition

• edited July 2010
    I think u played this well pre betting 3x bb was good and when he came over the top just flatting was ok,  but on the turn when u both checked it he could of checked with set of aces KK ect so i think ur all in on river was a  bit too risky but it got the job done.so apart from the river i think u played it good, i think betting somethink like 1.2, 1.3k would of been better because if u got re raised u would no were u was. And u would still be in the torney but as it is he folded and u won a nice pot.

bluff (c.dodd)
  • edited July 2010

Hey Don, I think your play on the river is absolute madness.

" i decide to throw the meximum in on the river and wasnt sure weather i wanted a call or not at this stage."

The above quote from your own notes explains why I think it is krazy. Are you bluffing? Is there a worse hand that you think will call you?

Alot of the time you will have been called and out of the tournament here. You can check your jacks, the pot is really big already, and get to showdown to see if you are good.

As it was, you got really lucky that your opponents folded (but they wud have checked behind anyway, and u win the same money with zero risk)

You need to be clear in your mind why you are betting. What are you trying to achieve? - If the answer to that is you thought the two opponents both had pocket tens and would call the river super light/OR you thought both your opponents had a weak ace and would fold the river with only 1 pair, then this justifies your bet.

However, you said youself, you had no idea why you shoved the river, which suggests to me you got very lucky.
  • edited July 2010
    Hi

Personnally, i dont like going 3way to a flop with JJ, so i would not have flat called preflop, i would have re-popped it, to try and isolate 1 player or take it down.
    As played, post flop, when your lead bet gets called in 2 spots, most times someone will have hit the ace, so at that point i go into shutdown mode.
    Your bet on the river is ONLY going to get called by a better hand than yours, plus if you were willing to gamble on the river for your stack then why just call pre-flop.

col
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Correctly or poorly played:
    Hi Personnally, i dont like going 3way to a flop with JJ, so i would not have flat called preflop, i would have re-popped it, to try and isolate 1 player or take it down. As played, post flop, when your lead bet gets called in 2 spots, most times someone will have hit the ace, so at that point i go into shutdown mode. Your bet on the river is ONLY going to get called by a better hand than yours, plus if you were willing to gamble on the river for your stack then why just call pre-flop. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    The check on the turn changed alot in my mind. The flop suggested to me at least one had an ace. The check on the turn told me otherwise.

I agree i didnt like the 3-way pot much, and after the flop i was in shutdown mode hense the check on the turn it was only after the check round i decided im stealing this.