You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

basic hand reading

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
  Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £26.47
harvey23 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £29.74
  Your hole cards

Fold        
  Fold        
  Fold        
X
Call   £0.10 £0.25 £37.66
  Fold        
harvey23 Check        
Flop

• Q

harvey23 Check        
X
Check        
Turn

harvey23 Bet   £0.25 £0.50 £29.49
x Call   £0.25 £0.75 £37.41
River

• Q

harvey23 Check        
X Bet   £0.56 £1.31 £36.85
harvey23 Raise   £1.96 £3.27 £27.53
x Call   £1.40 £4.67 £35.45
harvey23 Show

X Muck        
harvey23 Win Full House, 10s and Queens £4.32   £31.85

reads so far on this player we have, limps alot with meidum strength hands/pp.

okay so off the open limp on the button, that tells one one thing straight away, that they are not that tough of an oppoment for us. they have direct postion in this hand and they should always be raising here if comming into a pot, putting pressure on the blinds who are OOP (out of postion). this player does not and as a result lets me see a flop with 3,10 off, which i would of folded to any size raise.

flop comes Q high,  i know this player limps with meidum strength hands like J10/Q10/QJ ect and small pairs, so we have a rough idea of what there range is going to be. I know this player raises with preiumum hands like AK TT+, so that is not there.

flop goes check check, at this point I know I have the best hand, any Qx 10x hand (less like they have a 10, I hold one and one is on the flop)this palyer had would of bet the flop, any PP would of taken a stab. I dont think gutshots are betting here as this player has the tendicies of a weak passive player so far. random bluffs could also be bluffing on the flop, but not enough reads on the player to suggest this yet.

so I pot the turn when i hit my trips. I know I have the best hand and now im just going for max value here. they call and the turn is a Q. Any pair they have now is counterfitted so they are playing the board, they do not hold a Q as it would of bet flop. If we bet here, what are we getting called by? nothing, pairs are folding as they play the board and gutshot are folding because they missed.

so at this point we have narrowed down there range to small PP and missed draws, how do we get value from them if they are folding to any bet? by checking and inducing.

So I check knowing that this player has to fire out all the bluffs to win the pot, they do this and i make a pot size raise just for pure fat value, and they tank and call.

just my thought process on how to put people on hand raises, hoping people can perhaps use methods like this when playing in pots with players, hopefully you can improve hand reading and what not.

if you guys think i played this bad in any spot, please let me know, so I can review the hand again and work on my mistakes

Comments

• edited July 2010

I wonder if you had done the same if you hadn't hit trips.

Good post tho - wonder if u would have check raised the river had the turn been a 2 of hearts
  • edited July 2010
    nice post, good detail etc, i play the hand as you did until the river where I check call. I dont understand the check raise, what on earth did he call you with lol?! ace high?
    Usually you will only get called here by a ten so no point raising imo.
    What did you think he would call you with on the river? And please don't be results orientated (remember not to post results when you post a hand).
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: basic hand reading:
    I wonder if you had done the same if you hadn't hit trips. Good post tho - wonder if u would have check raised the river had the turn been a 2 of hearts
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    If the turn was 2 instead of a 10, I think a bet on the river would be better then a c-c, just because they are most likely to check back all PP and perhaps even A high. I would most likely bet/fold river i think.

In Response to Re: basic hand reading:
    nice post, good detail etc, i play the hand as you did until the river where I check call. I dont understand the check raise, what on earth did he call you with lol?! ace high? Usually you will only get called here by a ten so no point raising imo. What did you think he would call you with on the river? And please don't be results orientated (remember not to post results when you post a hand).
    Posted by BlackFish3
    the first thing is that if i do c-c everyone at the table will see my hand, the people who take notice and type notes, can now write something like " potted turn and c-pot river with trips turned boat". They now have this read on me that I bet pot for fat value.

some people may call with A high as they think they hold two pair 101QQ with A kicker, sure sometimes it will be a split, but i didnt put a 10 in there range as they would of bet the flop or raised the turn, well that was my theory.
  • edited July 2010
    fair enough reasons, doubt people here at those stakes will take a note though lol and probs is value cuz they will call with ace. I personally would just check call though, but i see your points.
  • edited July 2010

nice thread there harvey, played to the max by the looks of it. He must of had an ace there

Hand Reading isnt my problem as i can usually put people on what they have or very close to the majority of the time, but as you saw i have many leaks mainly from crediting an opponent to fold trying to look like a value when i know im not good as per my hand i posted. sometimes works sometimes it doesn't though so maybe need to be more aware whether this person is likely to fold to a value bet (although a bluff) if you understand me here

• edited July 2010
    ^unforntaly i dont young gun, it seems like you are over thinking things too much, at the micros, from 1p to 25p, you just need to play ABC Tight agressive poker to be a winner. You dont need to bluff people off TPTK with crazy 3 barrel bluffs, if you play a TAG style you will be a winner.