You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll

What is the best way of using ur bankroll? i was told never to use more than 5% in a cash game and 2-3% in a tourney or a SnG. What is the best way? and is using ur bankroll really that important?

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Bankroll management is the most important thing of all - unless you have a huge stack of money to get rid of.
    After all, if you go broke, you can't play.

As far as percentages etc it really depends on you but you must be disciplined.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Bankroll:
    What is the best way of using ur bankroll? i was told never to use more than 5% in a cash game and 2-3% in a tourney or a SnG. What is the best way? and is using ur bankroll really that important?
    Posted by McRatMan
    This is good advice. If you can stick to it and you are a winning player, you will never go broke.  It is only important if you do not want to or cannot reload your account if you go bust.  If you dont mind reloading again and again, you can stick the whole lot on an MTT.

Ultimately, br management is only essential to full time pros as this would be their only source of income, and when its gone its gone.  They wouldnt be able to afford to start over and grind up.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Bankroll:
    Posted by McRatMan
    Is bankroll important? Depends on how much you have and if you don't mind topping up. If you deposit an amount, which you want to do you for your poker live, or a long time at least, then it is very important.

Personally, I don't always follow set rules as I haven't enough to put it all in my account, plus sometimes I might try a more expensive one for fun. But I would suggest something along the following:

Heads-up = 5%
    6-player game (winner takes all or top 2 paid) = 5%
    9/10-player game (top 3 paid) = 5%
    MMT with less 24 or less = 4%
    MMT will 25 to 100 = 3%
    MMT with over 100 = 2%

Cash (no cap games) with max BB = 5%. Withdraw at 10-15%
  • edited August 2009

I'm new to the site and use a different site mostly, so I don't know if what I will say is even possible here, but I'll ask it nonetheless.

If your bankroll was £1000 and you played and won a £20 satellite which gave you entry to a £220 tournament, would you withdraw from it (the £220 game) because it is too big a portion of your bankroll (16.6'%)?

• edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Bankroll:
    I'm new to the site and use a different site mostly, so I don't know if what I will say is even possible here, but I'll ask it nonetheless. If your bankroll was £1000 and you played and won a £20 satellite which gave you entry to a £220 tournament, would you withdraw from it (the £220 game) because it is too big a portion of your bankroll (16.6'%)?
    Posted by macallus
    no
  • edited August 2009

You can't withdraw from a tournament entry won through satellite.

Even if you could, what was the point in entering the satellite if you going to withdraw?

• edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Bankroll:
    You can't withdraw from a tournament entry won through satellite. Even if you could, what was the point in entering the satellite if you going to withdraw?
    Posted by NColley
    Thats not allways true for everyone......ok on this siteyou cant withdraw from a tourny if u satillited in but on others you can and it is a good way of increasing your bankroll quite quckly. The reason i say this is becasue you can if your are a tourny player who regularly makes the money but finds it hard graft making it to the high payout end, this solves your problem. also what you will find is people playing in satilittes are much  less likly to take the ridk of going bust just before the money. i tried it for awhile on full tilt and it does work. But then again you could ask the question should these players just work on improving there late tourny play, the answer is yes in my opinion but it depends on the player and there willingness to take risks.....
  • edited August 2009
    Kyle is right and to add another example.

If you make the 10% payout you may not even double your money, whereas you'd get 10x the amount in a satellite. Also, it's good bubble-time practice.