You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2p/4p analyse how i played

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
  Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £1.03
Villain
Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £1.79
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

t Fold        
w Fold        
YOUNG_GUN Raise   £0.12 £0.18 £4.14
J Fold        
1 Fold        
Villain Raise   £0.16 £0.34 £1.63
YOUNG_GUN Call   £0.08 £0.42 £4.06
Flop

• J

Villain
Bet   £0.08 £0.50 £1.55
YOUNG_GUN Raise   £0.16 £0.66 £3.90
Villain
Call   £0.08 £0.74 £1.47
Turn

Villain
Check        
YOUNG_GUN Bet   £0.40 £1.14 £3.50
Villain
Call   £0.40 £1.54 £1.07
River

Villain Check        
YOUNG_GUN Check      
Right person was relatively new on the table so no reads

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Im not the one to be posting tbh, But i would raise more after he bet his 8p, instead of just min raising him back, Put in a bigger bet, Your re raising because you think your ahead? In that case re raise him more.

Did he have kj?
  • edited July 2010
    reason i have only min raised the flop is the flop is exactly what i wanted and wanted to build a pot,

ill reveal what villain had a bit later, give couple more a chance to give an opinion

I felt i had to check the river as only a hand that is beating me here calls imo after all i do only have top pair with ace kicker, not a scare card but if i got check raised i would be in a difficult spot
  • edited July 2010
    His re-raise pre seems rather odd to me. youve raised it to 12p he re-raises to 20p gives you far too much rights to call. And on a 2p/4p table a raise could be anything from 23 suited to aces. as a result i probably re-raise here to find out not exctly what hes got but how good is ace jack.

I love the play on the flop the small re-raise is good for building the pot, however i dislike it because it allows him to catch up massively and you only have one pair which is so easily outdrawn. The turn shows this with the 8 of hearts meaning straight and flush draws are now there. I suspect he has one of these because this is the first time he check calls. I like the raise here, it shows strenth but i suspcect your drawing dead to a final heart, maybe even drawing completely dead to a straight flush K9 of hearts maybe. I suspect this is also the reason for the check on the river hoping you have one barrel left.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: 2p/4p analyse how i played:
    reason i have only min raised the flop is the flop is exactly what i wanted and wanted to build a pot, ill reveal what villain had a bit later, give couple more a chance to give an opinion I felt i had to check the river as only a hand that is beating me here calls imo after all i do only have top pair with ace kicker, not a scare card but if i got check raised i would be in a difficult spot
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    you only min raised to build a pot? then you check back on the river, you see that makes no sense?

you need to raise more post flop, and you also need to valuebet that river, as you are ahead so much of the time. Checking back you are missing out on so much value, and TPTK in 3bet pots is big.
  • edited July 2010
    Preflop is fine.
    Raise more on flop.
    Bet more on turn.
    Bet river.

Flop you want value and to make him pay for his draws.
    Turn you could still have the best hand so bet for value.
    River you probs have best hand so again bet for value.

Gimme a shout if you want anything clarified.
  • edited July 2010
    His re-raise pre seems rather odd to me. youve raised it to 12p he re-raises to 20p gives you far too much rights to call. And on a 2p/4p table a raise could be anything from 23 suited to aces. as a result i probably re-raise here to find out not exctly what hes got but how good is ace jack. I love the play on the flop the small re-raise is good for building the pot, however i dislike it because it allows him to catch up massively and you only have one pair which is so easily outdrawn. The turn shows this with the 8 of hearts meaning straight and flush draws are now there. I suspect he has one of these because this is the first time he check calls. I like the raise here, it shows strenth but i suspcect your drawing dead to a final heart, maybe even drawing completely dead to a straight flush K9 of hearts maybe. I suspect this is also the reason for the check on the river hoping you have one barrel left.
    Posted by The_Don90

Did you like it or not Don? lol

Just echo what Bfish and Harvey have said about betting, especially on the flop, you need to be raising more here, remembering that the way to beat this level is bet big when you have a strong hand.
  • edited July 2010
    Just echoing what others have said really...it's all about the bet on flop and river to extract more from your bigger hands! If you want to build the pot, make it something decent because pot's bigger on the next street and can bet more again...8p achieves nothing so I'd make it anything between 3/4 to pot size! People at this level rarely fold once they've hit something (whether pair or draw) so you can happily bet away - if they're chasing, charge them and most will pay anything so bigger is better! 

The turn looks scary at first but shouldn't put you off betting (picked up nut flush) so like that you've bet there but again if you'd made it more on the flop, you'd be looking at making bet of 70p+ now! If you're confident that AJ is winning, the river shouldn't change anything so bet for value - as played hands like A10/KJ/K10 (depends on your reads for knowing what they 3bet with) would snap call anything around 60p and knowing what they've done in previous spots, you could find yourself getting nearer £1 so you're missing out on tons of value by checking back!
  • edited July 2010
    Building pot and min raised should never be in the same sentence.
  • edited July 2010
    thanks everyone for your views, i do agree i should be betting more in each spot thats why i put hand up really as i knew i didnt play great and wanted to see what people thought

Villain had............. 77
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: 2p/4p analyse how i played : Did you like it or not Don? lol Just echo what Bfish and Harvey have said about betting, especially on the flop, you need to be raising more here, remembering that the way to beat this level is bet big when you have a strong hand.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i liked it in a sence of pot building. I dislike it because in this case the player only has one pair. So i dislike it in this situation but i normally like it.
  • edited July 2010
    Building pot and min raised should never be in the same sentence.
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    I think you min raised me with your flopped set to build the pot last night :)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: 2p/4p analyse how i played : I think you min raised me with your flopped set to build the pot last night :)
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Nah it was like 20p above a min raise, totally different :)
  • edited July 2010
    My bad :D I can't play poker for a while now after you took my bankroll... guilt trips ftw :D:D:D