You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Worst first hand ever

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic

This was the first hand of a £1.15 DYM and it turned out to be a nightmare first hand, infact as you can read before the worst possible i think. Never thought i was behind, id done all the betting and by the river i was commited, so how did i play it in the end.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
The_Don90 Small blind  10.00 10.00 1990.00
xBig blind  20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

dFold     
aRaise  60.00 90.00 1940.00
cFold     
bFold     
The_Don90 Raise  130.00 220.00 1860.00
xCall  120.00 340.00 1860.00
a Call  80.00 420.00 1860.00
Flop

• A

The_Don90 Bet  210.00 630.00 1650.00
xCall  210.00 840.00 1650.00
aFold     
Turn

The_Don90 Bet  420.00 1260.00 1230.00
xCall  420.00 1680.00 1230.00
River

The_Don90 Bet  680.00 2360.00 550.00
xAll-in  1230.00 3590.00 0.00
The_Don90 All-in  550.00 4140.00 0.00
The_Don90 Show
  • A
  • K

xShow

xWin Three 10s 4140.00  4140.00

Comments

• edited July 2010
    you probably want to be controlling the size of the pot first hand of a dym. Getting yourself pot committed with one pair isn't ideal.
  • edited July 2010
    Don't reraise pre too often imo. Bet flop/turn bigger. check puke on that river.
  • edited July 2010
    Raise more pre
    Bet more on the flop
    Bet more on turn
    Cry on the river

BET BIGGER!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Worst first hand ever:
    Don't reraise pre too often imo. Bet flop/turn bigger. check puke on that river.
    Posted by beaneh
    I dont often re-raise pre, expessially with AK but wanted to show strenth. Im not sure the turn and river was too much of a differance maker, both hands made on the flop. Not an ideal situation first hand of a DYM, but thanks guys gave me some justice. :D
  • edited July 2010
    Raise more pre Bet more on the flop Bet more on turn Cry on the river BET BIGGER!
    Posted by BlackFish3
    I agree with the above
  • edited July 2010
    Don,

I think a lot of your problems on this hand spring from your bet sizing amount. We can almost pick at each size and find something a little wrong with it...

a) Preflop: Making it 130 to go when the initial raiser has opened for 60 means he alone is being better than 3-1 on the call (70 more into a pot of 220). No one is going to fold there as they only need 24% chance of winning the hand for it to be a right play. The fact that there are other players still to go too can only worsen the problem. I'd make it more like 220-240 to go.

b) On the flop: Half pot vs two opponents on such a draw heavy board. Here I would be better much nearer full pot (I'd go for 330 to 410) to punish the draws which could be out there - KQ/QJ/KJ and diamond flush draws are all hands to be wary against. We also get smaller aces to get their money in quicker - can you imagine a hand like AJ folding here? I'd be better more with a view to getting the rest of my stack in vs. one opponent on the turn. (Brick turn card willing).

c) Turn: If we play the flop as above, our stack to pot ratio will be much better and we can get the rest of the chips in on this beautifully blank turn. As played, I would again try and bet more to punish those draws or weaker aces, but I do appreciate getting 1650 into a pot of only 800 can be a bit more troublesome.

As played, I'd actually check the turn over to them to make it look like the flop bet was only a continuation bet. If he checks behind I am more confident of him having a draw and I can check/call on a bad river or lead on a good one.

d) River: Feel sick then check-call. If he checks behind here we have the best hand and lost some value. I'd be ok with that considering how our bet sizes got us into trouble earlier in the hand, and I'd also then chastise myself for not playing the hand a little more strongly. I don't like leading the river at all here - it just allows us to be raised and lose more chips. The only time I would consider leading is if I want to make a blocker bet which I am capable of letting go should he jam the river. I still prefer my first line though.

• edited July 2010
    Thanks Dave, went into alot of detail with that and that will help me understand a little better. I know its similar to raise more, check call ect but it explains each steet more carefully.

Thanks again.
  • edited July 2010
    Am I the only one who doesn't go broke here? This is the first hand of a dym? This isn't a cash game...we only have to finish top 3...we can't reload.

Firstly I would only flat pf. If you 3 bet and miss you are in a mess already, if you 3 bet and your opponent hits a set it's game over.

I probably c/c flop, c/c turn and either c/f c/c river depending on bet sizing etc

I want to win or lose a pot of around 500 here, set me up for the later stages which are far more important.

Just my opinion.
  • edited July 2010
    Nah I think in dyms you wna be accumulating chips so you can survive a 50 50 later on. Probs wouldn't of gone broke if he would of just got it in on the turn.
  • edited July 2010
    Nah I think in dyms you wna be accumulating chips so you can survive a 50 50 later on. Probs wouldn't of gone broke if he would of just got it in on the turn.
    Posted by BlackFish3

This is not the case, you just want to stay in it's a dymn for goodness sake. I'd flat most of the time with AK pre here.
  • edited July 2010

I'm fairly sure if he gets it in on the turn the outcome is exactly the same?

• edited July 2010
    The guy had a half decent pair preflop he wanted to see the flop, he hits 3 tens you have top pair top kicker he is not going away even with the flush draw...... You bet the flop strong and he calls, slow down try and control the pot, why has he called???? Flush draw, set, 2 pair? Its down to how much you know about the guy and how much to wants risk on a SINGLE PAIR?
  • edited July 2010
    The guy had a half decent pair preflop he wanted to see the flop, he hits 3 tens you have top pair top kicker he is not going away even with the flush draw...... You bet the flop strong and he calls, slow down try and control the pot, why has he called???? Flush draw, set, 2 pair? Its down to how much you know about the guy and how much to wants risk on a SINGLE PAIR?
    Posted by waynecure
    As stated it was first hand no reads, no notes which is rare so id never played with the guy
  • edited July 2010
    I did read that in hindsight (which is easy after the fact) we have to agree you over played a single pair, which is a mistake we all make I have done it more than once and always kick myself maybe one day I will learn lol
  • edited July 2010
    I did read that in hindsight (which is easy after the fact) we have to agree you over played a single pair, which is a mistake we all make I have done it more than once and always kick myself maybe one day I will learn lol
    Posted by waynecure
    Yea i agree with that statement, no other response that i can do. I look back on myself and asked myself why. I remember i had him on an Ace rag, ok i got that very wrong, but even then chaces are most rag aces that would be played have hit two pair.