You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Clinic: Post of the Week winner - Bananadog (12/7/10)

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Good morning!

We've had another cracking week on the Poker Clinic, so thanks to all of you who have been taking time out to post hands and give some feed back on the posts of others.

This week the winner has posted some really solid advice on one of poker's dirtier subjects, bankroll management. While we all like the idea of fast-tracking our way from £10 to £10m, the reality is that solid bankroll management, knowing what you can afford to play and then playing that level until you dominate it enough to move up is a MUCH safer way of moving up the limits.

Banandog's post about setting targets was spot on and one which any player who wants to increase their bankroll through DYM sit and gos should follow.

Well done Bananadog - we'll arrange for you to be entered into Saturday night's Open at 8pm!

Here's what Bananadog offered as advice to TheDon90:

Hey Don...ok this is how i started a few months ago on here playing DYM's.
I put in £150 too start with and hubby gave me targets (I work better with targets - stops me chasing losses on levels I can't afford and am not ready for)

I had choices of playing with the following:
Very Slow = 100 buy ins.
Slow = 50 buy ins.
Med/Slow = 40 buy ins.
Med = 30 buy ins.
...then the next option was fast..then mad which i havnt put down!

I picked Med/Slow 40 buy ins and had to follow the following!

bankroll £100,    £2 dym till u reach £120  

bankroll £120,    £3 dym till u reach £200  

bankroll £200,    £5 dym till u reach £400

bankroll £400    £10 dym till u reach £800 

bankroll £1000   £20 dym till u reach £2000 - this is your starting bankroll for
trying to earn money.

Obviously you have to change it to suit you but I find having to follow something written down helps stop you chasing losses.
I am now on £500 bit but do not feel happy enough to move to the £10dym's so I'm sticking on £5 until I reach a minimum of £800 as it gives me more of a buffer zone if I have a loosing run.

If I drop to £200 I have to go back to £3 dym...no choice!
If I drop to £100 I have to go back to £2 dym...no choice!
I dont want to but I will If I have to as it is a more stable way of clawing my way back without having to reload.

As your bankroll is smaller maybe you should try the 50 buys in structure...work it out, write it down and stick to it like GLUE!!!

I know you can do this if you have a target for yourself and dont chase losses or flitter between levels.
I had my worst run when I got bored and jumped levels...hense me being put on a strict target list, but it does work...HONEST!!! If nothing else it takes the pressure off knowing what to play next.
If you decide to do cash try to set out a similar target list so that you can comfortably play.

ps, I know how you feel...i HATED the lower levels but my hubby refused to let me move up until I reached my target! lol

gl Don x

Comments