You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK and getting re-raised

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Now i just had a hand, not going to show it as i played it poorly, and i know where i went wrong.

Anyways, I had AK. Raised it pre flop, a very loose player re-raises it, he'd only falt called up and till now and he has me covered due to a spiked 8 on the river with a different opponent all in earlier.

Anyways my question is, if someone re-raises you pre flop can you usually put them on KK or AA and fold AK ordo you have to give it credit for almost any PP and call all the same and hope to hit?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    You give us no information on this hand - hence why you need to post the hand.
    Is this cash, mtt, sng????
    What are the stacks? Is he re raising in position or from the Blinds etc etc

You ask a question which is impossible to answer because it is player dependant, there are a lot of players you give credit for them having AA/KK - others you don't. Whether you make the call or shove etc also depends on stack sizes and things like that.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: AK and getting re-raised:
    You give us no information on this hand - hence why you need to post the hand. Is this cash, mtt, sng???? What are the stacks? Is he re raising in position or from the Blinds etc etc You ask a question which is impossible to answer because it is player dependant, there are a lot of players you give credit for them having AA/KK - others you don't. Whether you make the call or shove etc also depends on stack sizes and things like that.
    Posted by dylan12
    Ok ill go into a bit more detail,

I dont want to post one idividual hand, its been a few latley one was Aces one was Kings. I had AK both times. Now not saying this happens all the time circumstaces of these two hands are very different to alot of others.

So il describe it. (blinds 50/100)

SB

BB

Me (UTG) - (1800 chips) AK - raise to 300.  

P1 - folds

p2 - folds

dealer - shoves for 3500 (enough to make anyone go all in)

SB - folds

BB - folds

now dealer in this case hasnt really got overly involved like this been a massive calling station with any two but hasnt raised. I call the same he Shows KK v my AK and the rest involves me reelling why i didnt see the signs, he hadnt raised before hand.

Anyways, it was more of a general question. Rather than one idividual hand, If you have AK and get re-raised, what is the most sensible thing to do?
  • edited July 2010

Call, in the above example.

Lernt recently that if you have AK the odds on being dominated by KK or AA are 40/1.

Te decisions in tournys such as the one above are really pretty easy.

From your O.P I thought you meant cash games, which is alot different, more difficult!
  • edited July 2010
    Ok, it is totally different for every game. In a mtt with your stack then the normal answer is to call because normally your in a flip and you need the double up - against that particular opponent it is possible to fold seeing that he has not raised hands previously but it is totally player dependant. With your stack there - in most cases I call, if playing deeper you can fold and wait for a better spot unless it is against a LAG!!
  • edited July 2010

Snap call you should definately be ahead of his range and at worst have overs

• edited July 2010
    AK is good for less than 30x the blind don't consider folding it in MTT's. DYM's can be a different story but AK is still a sweet hand.