You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Another guy tanks on me...

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic

New level, not played it for years, never seen any of the players before...

Again, a guy re-raises me for his stack.

How do you respond?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DOHHHHHHH Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £19.70
TheMonk82 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £22.74
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

FARLEY734 Fold     
wtjenkins1 Fold     
Miki1957 Raise  £0.80 £1.10 £19.46
DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.70 £1.80 £19.00
TheMonk82 Fold     
Flop

• Q

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £1.35 £3.15 £17.65
Miki1957 All-in  £19.46 £22.61 £0.00

Comments

• edited July 2010
    This is interesting.

Very hard to put him on a range, because his preflop raise could be a button steal, with A2C.

I think fold. If he is a cowboy you will get your chance to clean him out whe n you have a bit of info.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Another guy tanks on me...:
    New level, not played it for years, never seen any of the players before... Again, a guy re-raises me for his stack. How do you respond? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance DOHHHHHHH Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £19.70 TheMonk82 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £22.74   Your hole cards A Q       FARLEY734 Fold         wtjenkins1 Fold         Miki1957 Raise   £0.80 £1.10 £19.46 DOHHHHHHH Call   £0.70 £1.80 £19.00 TheMonk82 Fold         Flop     Q 8 8       DOHHHHHHH Bet   £1.35 £3.15 £17.65 Miki1957 All-in   £19.46 £22.61 £0.00
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I'm guessing you didn't see his cards the first time he made this move.

I am snap-calling anyway!
  • edited July 2010
    Well he surely wouldn't make this move with an 8 or KK/AA, so I can't see how you can fold, he could easily have KQ or even a split. Plus you have Ad for BD flush.
  • edited July 2010
    I reckon he could have 2 things here, Ace 8 and is overbetting to make it look like a bluff
    Or kings/aces to protect his hand, think we can discount queens played like this as would be too much of a monster to shove all in, i think he wants to take the pot here and although likely could have AK AJ here dont think its worth calling due to risk/reward

Personally regardless whether the above is correct, i would lay it down unless you have a strong read as i know your probably much better then this player and could pick a better spot on your terms here

also think he could have AQ, KQ but think risking alot to find out unless he has shown he is a complete donk must fold
  • edited July 2010
    Maybe KQ diamonds im thinking which seems to fit how he has played the hand so ill go for a fold although you are ahead only 60/40 here imo not really getting the odds for this to be a +ev call
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Another guy tanks on me...:
    Well he surely wouldn't make this move with an 8 or KK/AA, so I can't see how you can fold, he could easily have KQ or even a split. Plus you have Ad for BD flush.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    this.
  • edited July 2010
    I think it'ts pretty easy fold. I have played only 4 days here, but have seen weird stuff already. Ppl dont 3bet like QQ+ and they stack me on J high wet board w/ overbet shoving when i call with AJ for example. In general overbet shove= usually nuts. So imo its a pretty easy fold.

E: also 3bet pre for value
  • edited July 2010
    Im probably the only idiot on Sky who decides i call here.

Not just to win or lose a pot, but you said youve never played with the guy before. If i call here its will give me a rough idea of his range. Persoanlly i give him 2 diamonds in the whole. Nothing more, i rekon he believes you havent hit that flop and wants to tjust end it without risking the need to hit a diamond.
  • edited July 2010
    Maybe KQ diamonds im thinking which seems to fit how he has played the hand so ill go for a fold although you are ahead only 60/40 here imo not really getting the odds for this to be a +ev call
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    The Queen of diamonds is out so isnt this a little impossible.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Another guy tanks on me... : The Queen of diamonds is out so isnt this a little impossible.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Lol right your are very tired today!
  • edited July 2010

He had 17 thousand aces .

I didn't 3 bet it was literally the 2nd hand at the table and didn't wanna get involved till I had done a couple of rounds, see whats what.

As it turned out, I stacked off to a total donk, who went on to spread my buy in around to the 2/3 other solid players at the tables, whom I had to work hard to get some back from.

Im such a calling station its unreal.

If anyone wants to get value from me at any stage - just shove...
  • ybyb
    edited July 2010
    Why did you choose to donk bet btw? And what did you put him on when he shoved?
  • edited July 2010
    I cant see how u can call without any info or reads on this guy, myself I would fold but maybe thats why I not in Vagas as we speak lol
  • edited July 2010

I duno why I donk bet, I thought I had the best hand, thought I'd see how he reacted as button v blind battles occur throughout a cash game, so why not mix it up with no reads and try to get some!

When he shoved, Im thinking KQ/KJ/KT something like that.

Was the 2nd hand of the session, wasn't switched on, couldn't understand why he would shove, but made the stupid mistake of calling before thinking.

Im such a station lately I REALLY can't fold, and it seems all the draws, backdoor flushes, river 2 pairs, are getting there and Im being crucified. Jst calling calling calling all the time and being shown the best hand.

Its depressing really, can't see where the next pot is coming from, I hate feeling like this.

Wheres all my sets gone???? (think I used 6 months worth in 1 month!lol)

• edited July 2010
    I duno why I donk bet, I thought I had the best hand, thought I'd see how he reacted as button v blind battles occur throughout a cash game, so why not mix it up with no reads and try to get some! When he shoved, Im thinking KQ/KJ/KT something like that. Was the 2nd hand of the session, wasn't switched on, couldn't understand why he would shove, but made the stupid mistake of calling before thinking. Im such a station lately I REALLY can't fold, and it seems all the draws, backdoor flushes, river 2 pairs, are getting there and Im being crucified. Jst calling calling calling all the time and being shown the best hand. Its depressing really, can't see where the next pot is coming from, I hate feeling like this. Wheres all my sets gone???? (think I used 6 months worth in 1 month!lol)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

This isn't a good board or hand strength to donk. Just check to him, as played if I bet the flop I would most likely say scruw u i cawl show me da 8 blud.
  • edited July 2010
    Cmon it can be that hard to fold, we have invested pretty much anything into the pot!
  • edited July 2010
    Cmon it can be that hard to fold, we have invested pretty much anything into the pot!
    Posted by rakeback

I don't want to fold though I want to cawl. Cant win by folding.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Another guy tanks on me... : I don't want to fold though I want to cawl. Cant win by folding.
    Posted by beaneh
    LMAO - that is all :)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Another guy tanks on me... : I don't want to fold though I want to cawl. Cant win by folding.
    Posted by beaneh
    wanna play HU?

Anyway, its about making te best decision- what brings the most money in long term. Or in this case reduces losses to minimum.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Another guy tanks on me... : wanna play HU? Anyway, its about making te best decision- what brings the most money in long term. Or in this case reduces losses to minimum.
    Posted by rakeback

lol hu for rollz. good work forum noobies.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Another guy tanks on me... : lol hu for rollz. good work forum noobies.
    Posted by beaneh
    beaneh u scaredy cat!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Another guy tanks on me... : beaneh u scaredy cat!
    Posted by lynx3ffect

Well if only two people are playing, one has to win so I don't want to play when it's just a fiddy fiddy. 
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Another guy tanks on me... : Well if only two people are playing, one has to win so I don't want to play when it's just a fiddy fiddy. 
    Posted by beaneh
    but u gots de edge yo
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Another guy tanks on me... : wanna play HU? Anyway, its about making te best decision- what brings the most money in long term. Or in this case reduces losses to minimum.
    Posted by rakeback
    O RLY?
  • edited July 2010

This is stupid

• edited July 2010
    i thought this poker clinic supposed to be helpful theres more petty squabbles on here than in the g/c
    hu4rollz jeeeze