You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker pet peeves

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat
For me it would be

#1 slow rolling. You are the last to act, against an all in, if you have the nuts just make the damn call. pontificating in this situation, just to unbalance the opponent is bang out of order in my opinion

#2 bluffing a dead pot. Small stack has gone all in, and has been called by you and another. You miss the flop. The other guy with chips puts a big bet in, you fold. He turns over some low mismatched garbage that has missed the flop entirely, and basically gets to take his bet back whilst the short stack has now tripled up. This especially annoys me in bubble or close to bubble situations. I just don't get the reasoning!

What are yours?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I have just been knocked out of a satelite close to the qualifying places by someone who had no intention of playing the next round but who took pleasure in winding everyone up.  This is not fair or sporting play & and wastes a spot in the main event  & so can be added to any list of peeves.
  • edited July 2010

When a guy check calls out of position with a draw, gets the draw on the river, and checks to me again expecting me to bet.

It adds insult to injury when he shows his 5 high flush draw got there, and he still expects me to fire again.

Saves me money, but tilts me so bad, as do many things.
  • edited July 2010
    low stakes overbetting bluffers.

like last night, there was 14c in the pot... I had nothing, and a guy bets $6 then shows his 4 high, like he some pro that made me fold quads.
  • edited July 2010
    Being nit-rolled and slow-rolled
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker pet peeves:
    Being nit-rolled and slow-rolled
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Wassat?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker pet peeves : Wassat?
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    When they have near-nuts but not the nuts but it's clear to any sane person that they have the best hand or that there was never any chance of them folding, yet they still take an age to call or don't declare their hand straight away.

One time this happened to me was at a live game.  It's a A high paired board and a river card brings in the flush and wheel draw (I made this straight on the river).  The villain bets small but immediately looks like he's stepped in dog poop so I decide he doesn't have the flush and call.  I immediately flip over my cards and the conversation goes like this

Me:  "Have you got the flush?"
    Vil:  "Wassat?"
    Me:  "I made the straight, have you got the flush?"
    Pause, then checks cards.
    Vil:  "I've got the house mate"

Yes he had pocket Aces and turned the boat.  Now he doesn't have the nuts (which would have been quad fours I think) but there's no way I'm smoothing with the nuts so why he didn't just pop his cards over as I said call is beyond me.  As I found out later he always looks like he's stepped in poop after making a bet without the nuts, he just loves his chips that much...
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker pet peeves : When they have near-nuts but not the nuts but it's clear to any sane person that they have the best hand or that there was never any chance of them folding, yet they still take an age to call or don't declare their hand straight away. One time this happened to me was at a live game.  It's a A high paired board and a river card brings in the flush and wheel draw (I made this straight on the river).  The villain bets small but immediately looks like he's stepped in dog poop so I decide he doesn't have the flush and call.  I immediately flip over my cards and the conversation goes like this Me:  "Have you got the flush?" Vil:  "Wassat?" Me:  "I made the straight, have you got the flush?" Pause, then checks cards. Vil:  "I've got the house mate" Yes he had pocket Aces and turned the boat.  Now he doesn't have the nuts (which would have been quad fours I think) but there's no way I'm smoothing with the nuts so why he didn't just pop his cards over as I said call is beyond me.  As I found out later he always looks like he's stepped in poop after making a bet without the nuts, he just loves his chips that much...
    Posted by TommyD

lol this
  • edited July 2010
    People who say "sorry" after sucking out on you.

You're not "sorry" that you have my chips, infact you're quite pleased with yourself, so don't patronise me by apologising.

And people that just take an aaaaaaaage to do anything (this is more @ live players than online players). I'm quite a laid back and patient person, but that just really pisses me off.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker pet peeves : When they have near-nuts but not the nuts but it's clear to any sane person that they have the best hand or that there was never any chance of them folding, yet they still take an age to call or don't declare their hand straight away. One time this happened to me was at a live game.  It's a A high paired board and a river card brings in the flush and wheel draw (I made this straight on the river).  The villain bets small but immediately looks like he's stepped in dog poop so I decide he doesn't have the flush and call.  I immediately flip over my cards and the conversation goes like this Me:  "Have you got the flush?" Vil:  "Wassat?" Me:  "I made the straight, have you got the flush?" Pause, then checks cards. Vil:  "I've got the house mate" Yes he had pocket Aces and turned the boat.  Now he doesn't have the nuts (which would have been quad fours I think) but there's no way I'm smoothing with the nuts so why he didn't just pop his cards over as I said call is beyond me.  As I found out later he always looks like he's stepped in poop after making a bet without the nuts, he just loves his chips that much...
    Posted by TommyD
    I see, thanks! :)

• edited July 2010
    People who say "sorry" after sucking out on you. You're not "sorry" that you have my chips, infact you're quite pleased with yourself, so don't patronise me by apologising. And people that just take an aaaaaaaage to do anything (this is more @ live players than online players). I'm quite a laid back and patient person, but that just really pisses me off.
    Posted by YoungUn
    YoungUn, I don't agree that everyone who apologises in the chatbox is tryng to patronise you.  I consider it courteous to do so if I have won a key hand after going into the showdown as a massive underdog and then winning it.  If it happens to me, I respect those who give a quick apology providing that their push or call was logical. 
  • edited July 2010
    I never say sorry for the reaspons Youngun stated. I will however say ul,gg instead.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker pet peeves : YoungUn, I don't agree that everyone who apologises in the chatbox is tryng to patronise you.  I consider it courteous to do so if I have won a key hand after going into the showdown as a massive underdog and then winning it.  If it happens to me, I respect those who give a quick apology providing that their push or call was logical. 
    Posted by inka2003
    I agree that it's courteous to say something, but not sorry. The reason I say that is because the person who is saying sorry doesn't mean it. They're not sorry that they have won chips off their opponent by getting lucky, because they've profited from it. Maybe patronising was the wrong word, but I don't appreciate people that apologise without being sincere.

When I suck out on people I am usually very quick to say "unlucky", because I believe that to be an appropriate way to show that I appreciate that I got lucky and didn't necessarily deserve to win that hand. I definitely respect people that say that to me, but not "sorry" because there's nothing genuine in that.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker pet peeves : I agree that it's courteous to say something, but not sorry. The reason I say that is because the person who is saying sorry doesn't mean it . They're not sorry that they have won chips off their opponent by getting lucky, because they've profited from it. Maybe patronising was the wrong word, but I don't appreciate people that apologise without being sincere. When I suck out on people I am usually very quick to say "unlucky", because I believe that to be an appropriate way to show that I appreciate that I got lucky and didn't necessarily deserve to win that hand. I definitely respect people that say that to me, but not "sorry" because there's nothing genuine in that.
    Posted by YoungUn
    I think you can still feel sorry for somebody and be pleased for yourself can't you?

I know what you're saying, and personally I'd rather say ul than sorry - but they're not mutually exclusive emotions.

I appreciate many players are multi-tabling, but when someone dishes out a really bad beat on you and doesn't put any acknowledgement in the chatbox, it annoys me far more than the courteous player that says sorry 
  • edited July 2010
    trash talking from total donks - i both hate it and love it in equal measure.

was playing a STT and this guy bet me £5 that i would be out first, and we were only 3 hands in. 

deal done - 10 hands later he was first out.

looked himup on sharkscope - not as much a manhattan, more a very steep downward slope lol
  • edited July 2010
    trash talking from total donks - i both hate it and love it in equal measure. was playing a STT and this guy bet me £5 that i would be out first, and we were only 3 hands in.  deal done - 10 hands later he was first out. looked himup on sharkscope - not as much a manhattan, more a very steep downward slope lol
    Posted by theneons
    I'm guessing you didn't get the £5....
  • edited July 2010
    When somebody says NH in the chatbox after a donk has hit a miracle card and sucked out on you.
  • edited July 2010
    When somebody says NH in the chatbox after a donk has hit a miracle card and sucked out on you.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    THIS
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker pet peeves : I'm guessing you didn't get the £5....
    Posted by luvBWFC

he hung around to dish some more rail abuse after he got felted and that was it.
  • edited July 2010
    First post for me, been on here about 4 months and watched the forums with interest.

Probably not going to be a popular post but I feel I have to speak against the people complaining about slow players.
    I'm a fairly slow player mainly due to the fact when I make snap judgements there's usually something I've missed and lose the hand (especially all ins) so there is a fair bit of debate in my head, especially when playing two or three tables at a time.

I've donated a fair amount to other players and sky (far more than I'd like to admit), especially over the past few weeks and generally win 50/50 against all ins.

I'm first to admit I'm a complete sucker for all ins and lost probaby 10+ dyms yesterday because of them, even if I was chip leader. I cant help it they are just too tempting. (Evonuts hope you did ok with my few k from the deepstack last night)

So to all those people who don't like slow players on all in all I can say is tough, if you have enough confidence in the hand you are playing, then sit back let your opponents take their time and enjoy their hard earned chips / cash when you win and be grateful.

A lot of people here have limited budgets and help pay for the lifestyle of the regulars, don't you dare be ungracious enough to complain they haven't donated their stack to you quickly enough.

The decision time is there to be used all the time every time if need be, if you don't like it there are the Scary tournaments in MTT/STT where you may find people quick enough challenge your lightening reactions.

Finally please try to be patient with other players, they could be newbies. otherwise they may like to do what I do and start a new table and go on a real go slow every hand just to wind you up.
  • edited July 2010
    First post for me, been on here about 4 months and watched the forums with interest. Probably not going to be a popular post but I feel I have to speak against the people complaining about slow players. I'm a fairly slow player mainly due to the fact when I make snap judgements there's usually something I've missed and lose the hand (especially all ins) so there is a fair bit of debate in my head, especially when playing two or three tables at a time. I've donated a fair amount to other players and sky (far more than I'd like to admit), especially over the past few weeks and generally win 50/50 against all ins. I'm first to admit I'm a complete sucker for all ins and lost probaby 10+ dyms yesterday because of them, even if I was chip leader. I cant help it they are just too tempting. (Evonuts hope you did ok with my few k from the deepstack last night) So to all those people who don't like slow players on all in all I can say is tough, if you have enough confidence in the hand you are playing, then sit back let your opponents take their time and enjoy their hard earned chips / cash when you win and be grateful. A lot of people here have limited budgets and help pay for the lifestyle of the regulars, don't you dare be ungracious enough to complain they haven't donated their stack to you quickly enough. The decision time is there to be used all the time every time if need be, if you don't like it there are the Scary tournaments in MTT/STT where you may find people quick enough challenge your lightening reactions. Finally please try to be patient with other players, they could be newbies. otherwise they may like to do what I do and start a new table and go on a real go slow every hand just to wind you up.
    Posted by Suprbts27
    Firstly, welcome to the forum.
    Please post more.
    You are entitled to take as much time as you like when making a decision.

However, what I think you are referring to is "slow rolling" which is rather different to general slow play. "Slow rolling" occurs when a players has the absolute nuts (or a hand so strong that it is impossible to pass) and he still takes the maximum amount of time before calling in order to annoy his opponent. This is why many people object to it.

I hope that you enjoy your time on Sky Poker.
  • edited July 2010

Hit n runners!

I hate them with a passion, esp the at the small stakes like where i play at nl10, buy in for 2quid, manage to get a lucky double and run straight away..

...I mean come on now! whats the point in that, does my head in.
  • edited July 2010
    when the big blind gets a walk then shows 7 4 off, like he's saying .. look I had absolute rubbish & you all folded ha ha.
    yes mate, we all folded premium hands cos we thought you had AA
  • edited July 2010
    when the big blind gets a walk then shows 7 4 off, like he's saying .. look I had absolute rubbish & you all folded ha ha. yes mate, we all folded premium hands cos we thought you had AA
    Posted by Quietman
    I think in some live games it is considered etiquette to show when you get a walk.  I may be wrong but Im sure I heard this once
  • edited July 2010
    People who overlimp aces and think they are being clever.

• edited July 2010
    Live is different, as how you do it makes it obvious that you are either going u set of b*stards folding to my AA, or lol im glad u all folded i have trash. Online when someone shoes the vibe you get is ha ha i put one over on you.
  • edited July 2010
    Simple - people who say 'thank you' in the chatbox after sucking out on you. GO TO HELL.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker pet peeves : I think in some live games it is considered etiquette to show when you get a walk.  I may be wrong but Im sure I heard this once
    Posted by Kenny_C
    i've played loads live (prob 200 + ) & I've never heard that one before
  • edited July 2010
    Simple - people who say 'thank you' in the chatbox after sucking out on you. GO TO HELL.
    Posted by Sky_Dan
    +1   this is the daddy of them all Dan
  • edited July 2010
    People who continually min raise pre flop in the first 2-3 levels of an MTT/STT. 

Just WHY??? I can't see that it serves any real purpose cos anyone who's interested in seeing a flop ain't folding.
  • edited July 2010
    I always say sorry if i win a losing hand on the river ... cos I think sh*t the guy has called my bluff ... he has a better hand by far ... so what the hell am I doing winning it on a lucky river.  my pet peeve is those sharks on sit n gos who pretend to be away and then join in when there is only 4 left ... SHARKS all of 'em !! lol